So they are going to have a Top 10 cd on billboard

Started by mike, Jun 03, 2011, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike

I just saw that Circuital is headed for probably as high as #5 or 6 on the Billboard top 200 chart and is tracking for sales close to 45,000 for week 1. I will chuckle in advance knowing some people oddly will actually not like that news.

chris

Well Evil Urges debuted at #9 and sold 49,000 its first week.  Every album prior to that debuted with lower sales and in a trend of less and less with each previous one.  I'd actually expected this one to not only debut top 10 (as with the last one), but to out sell it in its first week (I was thinking closer to 75,000-85,000 (I'm basing this on the trend they've followed with each follow up release as well as the marketing for the album, the ever evolving fanbase, discounted prices on itunes for the album download, and also seeing that they're currently the #5 download on itunes and have stayed in the top 6 on amazon all week).  Where did you hear it was tracking for 45,000?  I know there are places that report those sort of predictions, but I usually have to wait until the soundscan numbers come out on Wednesday.
yeah, so if it's sad, well you still gotta live till ya die

mike

Hits daily double usually has the projections on Friday or Saturday and they are pretty much right on. They post the totals for the top 50 on Tuesday evenings usually.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi?10

Lady Gaga stays on top for at least one more week but, as expected, her sales plummet in week two without the Amazon 99 cent deal. Adele continues her almost unprecedented run, at least in the recent state of the business. Look for it to be a battle in two weeks between the two divas for the #1 spot. Of note this week, RED has a possible four titles in next week's Top 10, with Sony nabbing six overall. Here's how it looks at midweek:

Lady Gaga (Interscope) 180-195k
Adele (XL/Columbia) 120-130k
*Death Cab For Cutie (Atlantic) 90-95k
*Eddie Vedder (Monkeywrench) 60-65k
Brad Paisley (Arista Nashville) 60-65k
*My Morning Jacket (ATO/RED) 40-45k
Now 38 (Capitol/EMI) 40-45k
Jason Aldean (Broken Bow/RED) 28-32k
*Flogging Molly (Borstal Beat/RED) 27-30k
Mumford & Sons (Glassnote/RED) 25-28k
Glee : The Music Vol. 6 (Columbia) 19-22k
Lemonade Mouth (Walt Disney) 18-21k
MMG Presents: Self Made, Vol. 1 (Maybach/WB) 18-21k
Katy Perry (Capitol/EMI) 18-21k
Seether (Wind-up) 17-20k

chris

so, those numbers aren't what they think they've sold as of this point?  I could read it two ways: I could see those number saying that's what they're predicting for the first week sales or also that's about what they've sold so far which would mean you'd have to add another 40% or so for the projection for the first week.  I think it says, "here's how it looks midweek".  I'm just curious, b/c I've never used a site like that.
yeah, so if it's sad, well you still gotta live till ya die

mike

No those numbers are the projected totals for the week. I'll put last weeks up for you and you can see that they pretty much were on. You can click the link at the top of hitsdailydouble page for sales and you can see how the top 50 ended up and they are in line with what they had projected as shown below.

*Lady Gaga (Interscope) 1m+
*Brad Paisley (Arista Nashville) 145-155k
Adele (XL/Columbia) 125-135k
*Glee Cast Vol. 6 (Columbia) 75-80k
Now 38 (Capitol/EMI) 45-50k
*Maybach Music Group Presents: Self Made, Vol. 1 (Maybach/WB) 45-50k
*NKOTBSB (Columbia/Jive/Legacy) 35-40k
*Journey (Nomota) 25-30k (Wal-Mart exclusive)
*Foster The People (Startime/Columbia) 25-30k
Mumford & Sons (Glassnote) 24-27k
Seether (Wind-up) 21-24k
Beastie Boys (Capitol/EMI) 18-21k
Lady Gaga The Fame (Interscope) 18-21k
Lemonade Mouth (Walt Disney) 18-21k
Fleet Foxes (Sub Pop) 18-21k

capt. scotty

So basically MMJ is selling 25% as many albums as gaga and 80% as many albums as paisley in their 2nd week...thats pretty damn solid!

also...I like Mumford & Sons, but how the hell do they get 25k new fans every week?! That album has been out for a year and a half
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

manicfanatic

Debuts this week at #5 with sales of 55,000.  Not bad!!!!  ;D  ;D ;D
"We're the heirs to the glimmering world"

mike

Yes very cool to see and nice that they exceeded the early week expectations.