Where should MMJ go next.........

Started by Nikkogino, Jun 09, 2011, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

Okay, so Circuital is out and it seems as if most of us are enjoying the hell out of it.  As I geared up for the release, I listened to their entire LP catalogue in its entirety and remembered just how much the band has changed in the past 10 years.  I am pleased to say that I do enjoy all of their albums, and am happy that the band has progressed in the direction they have.  Sure, I love me some Tennessee Fire and At Dawn, but I also love how different ISM is from the two.  With Z, EU, and now Circuital, the band has further pushed the boundaries of their sound.  Yet, when their music is played in a live setting, the different era songs mesh well together.  My question to you is, what do you want MMJ to do on the next album?  Where should they take their sound?  And don't give me a "they should do what THEY want to do" type of answer....that is obviously what should happen.  But if you were Jim and company, and it was up to you, what would you do?

I'll start:
I'm not a huge fan of rock operas, but I think it would be bad-ass if MMJ would try to make an album that flowed from the beginning to the end in a sort of operatic way.  I'm not saying that they should necessarily go with a theme throughout, or even tell a story.  I just think it would be cool for them to just make a album that would be a collection of songs that fit together perfectly, with no stops in between tracks.  It would essentially be "Cobra" on crack.  I think MMJ has so much up their sleeves and have a quirky side that would support something like this.  It would allow them to showcase their instrumental skills and allow them to shake the verse, chorus, verse, chorus structure they have used on past albums.  I wouldn't mind it being a little prog-rockish either.  I love Circuital, but I want to hear Jim and Carl guitar battle....I want to go on a fucking journey.  I don't exactly know what I want, but I want it to be epic.  It doesn't have to be 9 hours long, but I want it to be on par with ISM's length.  I want some more songs that resemble "Steam Engine" and "Dondante"....songs that go in all sorts of directions, leaving the listener confused, yet blown away. 

Sorry for the length....what do you guys think?

Tennessee Jed

I'd almost go in the opposite direction...all acoustic, one mike, first take.

But I also like the idea of epic guitar battles...

Bigsky

kydiddle

Cow temperature.

My Monkey Friend

i would like more pedal steel in unexpected places. a few heavy, brooding rockers would be interesting. maybe a few epic long tracks.

this is a great question, btw.

wakebord

i know i read somewhere that doing it still moves, with super long songs, really killed them in the recording process.  i'd like some 2 or 3 song ep's with longer songs and guitar jams if they can't bring themselves to record a lot of long songs for the albums.  love everything they do though, no complaints for what they give us.  can't wait for the live box set.

kotchishm

Quote from: wakebord on Jun 09, 2011, 03:32 PM
i know i read somewhere that doing it still moves, with super long songs, really killed them in the recording process.  i'd like some 2 or 3 song ep's with longer songs and guitar jams if they can't bring themselves to record a lot of long songs for the albums.  love everything they do though, no complaints for what they give us.  can't wait for the live box set.

I like the EP idea...where have all the EP's gone!!
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

EasyRyder

simplified, boiled down, underproduced raw MMJ style country album with balladry and epicness.

With Carl saying in one of the recent articles that he's grown to really love the pedal steel, I'd love an album full of story-lined back country songwriting (even though that isn't the direction Jim typically takes with lyrics).

I think this genre of music really suits them well even though they don't have much repertoire of this nature, and - being steeped in Burrito Bros majesty - I'd love to here them turn down this road!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

johnnYYac

No offense, but...

"Where should MMJ go next?"

Wherever they want to go.  I'll follow.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

capt. scotty

Can we not dig the new album and let it absorb for a few months first before we talk about this?? Maybe see a few shows this summer and feel the sonic assault live???

In the words of Clay Davis, "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt"....I cant control where they go next, so why bother thinking about it.

I certainly wont even consider it until this winter when its dropping foothills outside and Im stuck inside with hot cocoa and cold jameson, and I have a better idea how I feel about Circuital than I could say a week or 2 later.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

kydiddle

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 09, 2011, 07:53 PM
Can we not dig the new album and let it absorb for a few months first before we talk about this?? Maybe see a few shows this summer and feel the sonic assault live???

In the words of Clay Davis, "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt"....I cant control where they go next, so why bother thinking about it.

I certainly wont even consider it until this winter when its dropping foothills outside and Im stuck inside with hot cocoa and cold jameson, and I have a better idea how I feel about Circuital than I could say a week or 2 later.

I love you scotty. (Too much?  ;D) Agree wholeheartedly...

Can I come over for hot cocoa and cold jameson?  :coffee:
Cow temperature.

Bigsky

;D :thumbsup:

Nikkogino

"Can we not dig the album..."  I said at the beginning of my post that I was digging it.  Doesn't mean that the world needs to stand still and we can't have a discussion on something non-Circuital related.
Sorry for asking people for their opinion on a music form....I think your response was kind of uncalled for.  I'm sorry...I must be the first person to ever ask what they would like to hear from their favorite band. 
And then a couple people pat him on the back for being an ass.  Are we in middle school?  The forum didn't used to be this way.  But you are cool Scotty.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 09, 2011, 09:40 PM
The forum didn't used to be this way.

man, you've been saying that for years ; get over it, the forum is this way now.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Nikkogino

Well that sucks....so back to the topic of discussing mmj (god forbid).  We did have an ok discussion prior to the asshole comments.

capt. scotty

"Can we not dig the album..."  I said at the beginning of my post that I was digging it.  Doesn't mean that the world needs to stand still and we can't have a discussion on something non-Circuital related.
Sorry for asking people for their opinion on a music form....I think your response was kind of uncalled for.  I'm sorry...I must be the first person to ever ask what they would like to hear from their favorite band. 
And then a couple people pat him on the back for being an ass.  Are we in middle school?  The forum didn't used to be this way.  But you are cool Scotty.

All Im saying is if youre enjoying the album, that just came out a week ago, why not enjoy it for awhile before going to the next step?!

Im all about anticipation, but when your favorite band's album just was released, you take it all in for what its worth, you dont worry bout the next album
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

Let's not forget that an album is rarely only those songs released on it. Combined with this "self-hypnosis" thing and an instrumental that sounds like the monster lovechild of a threesome with zappa, jerry, and miles, there's a whole lot more going on behind the scenes.

also, in my mind the band has won. look at how many bands put out 6 solid albums...not many. even with EU's faults, it wasn't a disgrace. by six albums, most  bands become "fan-only", that is to say they really only appeal to their built in base. Pearl Jam is not going to be coming across many people who are like "oh man who ARE these guys? I might like to get into them".

#5 on billboard is phenomenal, the band finally has the prowess to really do whatever they want. the only mistake they can make is pulling a KOL.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Nikkogino

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 09, 2011, 10:32 PM

All Im saying is if youre enjoying the album, that just came out a week ago, why not enjoy it for awhile before going to the next step?!

Im all about anticipation, but when your favorite band's album just was released, you take it all in for what its worth, you dont worry bout the next album

I understand what you are saying, but I have been enjoying the album for a few weeks, and CONTINUE to enjoy it.  I am about to get in my car in 45 minutes and enjoy it some more.  I continue to actively talk about the album with friends and on this very message board.  Now that the album is out, though, and most of us have listened to it a million times, I feel like its the perfect time to ask the question of "what's next."  By doing so, I'm not shutting the door on Circuital discussions.....

But whatever, you seem like a cool boardie so I'm not going to continue pouting about you being a meanie-head.  So come on Scotty, let's play make-believe.  Where would you like to see MMJ explore?

kydiddle

Didn't mean to sound so middleschoolish in that reply....scotty just cracks me the hell up sometimes. Bygones?

But Chode is on the right path....anywhere but the KOL route is pre-approved...
Cow temperature.

capt. scotty

Quote from: kydiddle on Jun 10, 2011, 08:29 AM

Didn't mean to sound so middleschoolish in that reply....scotty just cracks me the hell up sometimes. Bygones?

Only sometimes?  Hmm...you might have to wait awhile for that hot cocoa and cold jameson  ;)