Main Menu

Michigan

Started by tdb810, Jun 13, 2011, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdb810

Hello Folks!

Ok, so I may be heading out to do a training in Roscommon, Michigan, on Higgins Lake. 
Anyone familiar with this area?  It's a 5-day training, and I am contemplating bringing the family out there with me.  The training I'm doing is being held in a VERY rustic retreat center, so I wanted to see if there were any locals/close to locals on here who might give some info.  Basically, I need activities for my husband and 8 yr old daughter to do all day while I work :)

Thanks! 

.....Back at the Model Home

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

we have a cabin at Houghton lake, it's right next to higgins lake basically.  maybe within a half hour or less.  Houghton Lake is the largest inland lake in michigan.  Higgins lake is f'ing huge too but it's really deep.  not really familiar with the higgins lake side but we use to rent a pontoon boat and go out on the lake for the day.  go fishing, etc.  houghton lake has sand bars in the middle of the lake.  there are places out in the middle where it's only like 4 feet deep.  but yeah that's what those towns are all about, the lakes.  fish flies and the smell of that area is ingrained in my being.  it's really laid back, becoming slightly more modern (arby's, pizza places, super markets, etc) but at the same time you could turn down one road and see the town and another and see dense forest.  lots of fun ATV trails and stuff.  good Canoe routes.  it's nice up there, have fun.  sorry if that's not much help.  explore the wild!

tdb810

I knew I could count on you for some info sticky!  Looks like some beautiful and unspoiled territory up there. I'm trying to come up with day trips for us while we are up there. Do you know of anything that might be nice to check out in like a 3 or 4 hour radius ?  :dankk2: :dankk2: :dankk2:

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: tdb810 on Jun 13, 2011, 09:10 PM
I knew I could count on you for some info sticky!  Looks like some beautiful and unspoiled territory up there. I'm trying to come up with day trips for us while we are up there. Do you know of anything that might be nice to check out in like a 3 or 4 hour radius ?  :dankk2: :dankk2: :dankk2:

3 or 4 hour radius?! hell yeah there is.  you could go up to the traverse city area and check out the sleeping bear dunes.  they're really fun, don't have specific locations because we went up there when we were younger and we just camped in the middle of the woods.   I doubt you'll have to go very far to find some quality nature. 

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

west branch is south of houghton lake and higgins lake but it's more of a city with a strip mall and stuff, I THINK it's been awhile since I was up there.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

not sure if you went on your trip up north yet but my local radio station just did a special today on great places to check out in michigan from the lower pennisula all the way to the upper, check it out for sure there are some cool ideas and places recommended for sure: http://wdet.org/shows/craig-fahle-show/episode/your-favorite-michigan-vacation-spots/

bluesky

I'm from Muskegon, right on Lake Michigan! Driving US31 is a fantastic trip....awe Michigan in the summer....sunsets, bonfires, amazing stargazing, farm stands and fresh air!!!!

tdb810

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 24, 2011, 07:32 PM
not sure if you went on your trip up north yet but my local radio station just did a special today on great places to check out in michigan from the lower pennisula all the way to the upper, check it out for sure there are some cool ideas and places recommended for sure: http://wdet.org/shows/craig-fahle-show/episode/your-favorite-michigan-vacation-spots/

awesome, thanks sticky & bluesky!  my trip is at the end of august :)  appreciate the info!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

no prob woman, I heard that this morning and was like "yo! trish needs to hear about these secret spots asap they sound tiiiight". 

tdb810

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 25, 2011, 12:35 AM
no prob woman, I heard that this morning and was like "yo! trish needs to hear about these secret spots asap they sound tiiiight".

awwww, so kind, so kind!!! thank you again  :thumbsup:

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

michigan is going to rock your face with nature if that's what you're into.  those great lakes are 20percent of the worlds freshwater, and we take care of that shit but chicago fucked lake michigan with that asian carp shit.  they wouldn't close some canals or shipping lanes and now them carp be roamin tryin to breed and shit.  poor walleye, I hope they don't starve. 

sorry most of that has nothing to do with vacationing.  where will you be driving from route wise?  will you be rollin up I-75 most of the way?  since your a chick birch run is suppose to be a crazy mall city where women go to shop I guess.  not to make you too pumped but I think I might have seen a fashion bug outlet there...

my state kicks so much fucking ass, god damn.  I feel so bad for states like Iowa or like Missouri or Nebraska, cornbelt'd.  crunked on a friday woooooooooooooo

Crispy

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 25, 2011, 01:38 AM
michigan is going to rock your face with nature if that's what you're into.  those great lakes are 20percent of the worlds freshwater, and we take care of that shit but chicago fucked lake michigan with that asian carp shit.  they wouldn't close some canals or shipping lanes and now them carp be roamin tryin to breed and shit.  poor walleye, I hope they don't starve. 

sorry most of that has nothing to do with vacationing.  where will you be driving from route wise?  will you be rollin up I-75 most of the way?  since your a chick birch run is suppose to be a crazy mall city where women go to shop I guess.  not to make you too pumped but I think I might have seen a fashion bug outlet there...

my state kicks so much fucking ass, god damn.  I feel so bad for states like Iowa or like Missouri or Nebraska, cornbelt'd.  crunked on a friday woooooooooooooo

Finally a Sticky post I can get behind. Uhhhhhh

Oh yeah it's Friday and I'm drunk too
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

bluesky

forest covered sand dunes and clear blue water........

tdb810

Not sure what route we are taking yet...probably flying into traverse city, then it's like a 90 min drive. Still need to book my flight and all that jazz!
Can't wait to see this part of the country, sounds fantastic!

Will definitely not be doing any shopping. I listened to .Ike half of that radio show and got some good info, thanks sticky! Sleeping bear dunes sounds unbelievable!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

if you're flying into traverse city that is literally right next to the dunes up there in empire.    flying into traverse city puts you close to the epicenter of the michigan outdoors as far as the north goes.  there are islands up there towards the bridge that you can take a boat ride out to and they drop you off to hike and camp and whatever you want.  the UP is rustic as fuck and there are bears and wolves so be careful up there.

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: e_wind on Jun 28, 2011, 09:36 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 25, 2011, 01:38 AM
not to make you too pumped but I think I might have seen a fashion bug outlet there...

hahahahahahhahaha

Kenny Powers - I love you honey but you have clothes like a f*ckin d*ckhead! Eastbound & Down

ahahaha, I love danny and eastbound.  comedic genius.