Where should MMJ go next.........

Started by Nikkogino, Jun 09, 2011, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

Quote from: kydiddle on Jun 10, 2011, 08:29 AM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 09, 2011, 09:40 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 09, 2011, 07:53 PM
Can we not dig the new album and let it absorb for a few months first before we talk about this?? Maybe see a few shows this summer and feel the sonic assault live???

In the words of Clay Davis, "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt"....I cant control where they go next, so why bother thinking about it.

I certainly wont even consider it until this winter when its dropping foothills outside and Im stuck inside with hot cocoa and cold jameson, and I have a better idea how I feel about Circuital than I could say a week or 2 later.
"Can we not dig the album..."  I said at the beginning of my post that I was digging it.  Doesn't mean that the world needs to stand still and we can't have a discussion on something non-Circuital related.
Sorry for asking people for their opinion on a music form....I think your response was kind of uncalled for.  I'm sorry...I must be the first person to ever ask what they would like to hear from their favorite band. 
And then a couple people pat him on the back for being an ass.  Are we in middle school?  The forum didn't used to be this way.  But you are cool Scotty.

Didn't mean to sound so middleschoolish in that reply....scotty just cracks me the hell up sometimes. Bygones?

But Chode is on the right path....anywhere but the KOL route is pre-approved...

It's cool.  Bygones like a motha fucka.

kydiddle

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 10, 2011, 06:33 PM
Can we not dig the new album and let it absorb for a few months first before we talk about this?? Maybe see a few shows this summer and feel the sonic assault live???

In the words of Clay Davis, "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt"....I cant control where they go next, so why bother thinking about it.

I certainly wont even consider it until this winter when its dropping foothills outside and Im stuck inside with hot cocoa and cold jameson, and I have a better idea how I feel about Circuital than I could say a week or 2 later.
"Can we not dig the album..."  I said at the beginning of my post that I was digging it.  Doesn't mean that the world needs to stand still and we can't have a discussion on something non-Circuital related.
Sorry for asking people for their opinion on a music form....I think your response was kind of uncalled for.  I'm sorry...I must be the first person to ever ask what they would like to hear from their favorite band. 
And then a couple people pat him on the back for being an ass.  Are we in middle school?  The forum didn't used to be this way.  But you are cool Scotty.

Didn't mean to sound so middleschoolish in that reply....scotty just cracks me the hell up sometimes. Bygones?

But Chode is on the right path....anywhere but the KOL route is pre-approved...

It's cool.  Bygones like a motha fucka.

word to your motha... *pounds chest with fist and gives peace sign*

But seriously....what I would LOVE to see from this band is a covers album. New covers and just for the hell of it. It would be amazing to see them cover songs from contemporary musicians they admire.
Cow temperature.

kydiddle

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 10, 2011, 05:14 PM

Only sometimes?  Hmm...you might have to wait awhile for that hot cocoa and cold jameson  ;)

Well, other than that 36 hour power nap in my bed during T5...that wasn't funny.  ;)
Cow temperature.

youreveningcoat

I want them to do something with Friends Again, every time I hear that solo....  :)
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 09, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'll start:
I'm not a huge fan of rock operas, but I think it would be bad-ass if MMJ would try to make an album that flowed from the beginning to the end in a sort of operatic way.  I'm not saying that they should necessarily go with a theme throughout, or even tell a story.  I just think it would be cool for them to just make a album that would be a collection of songs that fit together perfectly, with no stops in between tracks.  It would essentially be "Cobra" on crack.  I think MMJ has so much up their sleeves and have a quirky side that would support something like this.  It would allow them to showcase their instrumental skills and allow them to shake the verse, chorus, verse, chorus structure they have used on past albums.  I wouldn't mind it being a little prog-rockish either.  I love Circuital, but I want to hear Jim and Carl guitar battle....I want to go on a fucking journey.

Sorry for the length....what do you guys think?

I absolutely agree with this idea Nikko. I am not very familiar with Rock Operas, but I often think about how amazing it would be to create a play or movie with MMJ's existing catalogue alone. Bermuda Highway, Golden, Strangulation, At Dawn and now Victory Dance especially have this effect on me. Even Okonokos has a tiny storyline to it and it makes the viewer feel like he/she is part of the "journey" as you put it. I think Jim James touched on this in an interview discussing the idea behind the characters in Okonokos. Maybe this just means I would like to see some music videos to visually see the band's ideas behind the music, even though I know they prefer to leave it up to us, which is also great. If MMJ doesn't write their own Rock Opera, maybe we can collaborate on a storyline of our own down the road sometime haha!
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

halesdd

If their next album doesn't involve some cow-bell then so help me God...
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

Nikkogino

Quote from: youreveningcoat on Jun 11, 2011, 01:51 AM
I want them to do something with Friends Again, every time I hear that solo....  :)

I noticed you are from NZ....I just visited there for a whole month.  It was great.  Have MMJ ever played there?