Main Menu

Turntables

Started by MarkW, Jun 15, 2011, 07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jun 11, 2013, 08:07 AM
Also, I've been looking at the Audio Technica LP60 turntable:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60USB-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPB8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370950140&sr=8-4&keywords=audio+technica+record+player

Any chance that would wear out my vinyl?
Christ!  I hope not!   :grin:  Its the one I use... though I don't have the USB port.  I'm not sure I'd ever have much use for that, as most albums come with a digital download or CD. 

BTW, the price for the LP60 on Amazon seems very high.  I got mine on Amazon, again the model without USB, for about $60.  My local record shop has 'em for around $80 or so.  You might check your local Best Buy.  Otherwise, if $120-$140 is your price range, you could probably do better then the LP60. 

Read the first review, too.

The LP120 might be a better way to go, if you can afford $240.
Its $214 shipped here:
http://gamestoysonline.com/product/146635_Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable-USB-Analog-.html

I hope to upgrade someday...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 11, 2013, 11:15 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60USB-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPB8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370950140&sr=8-4&keywords=audio+technica+record+player

Christ!  I hope not!   :grin:  Its the one I use... though I don't have the USB port.  I'm not sure I'd ever have much use for that, as most albums come with a digital download or CD. 

BTW, the price for the LP60 on Amazon seems very high.  I got mine on Amazon, again the model without USB, for about $60.  My local record shop has 'em for around $80 or so.  You might check your local Best Buy.  Otherwise, if $120-$140 is your price range, you could probably do better then the LP60. 

Read the first review, too.

The LP120 might be a better way to go, if you can afford $240.
Its $214 shipped here:
http://gamestoysonline.com/product/146635_Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable-USB-Analog-.html

I hope to upgrade someday...

Indy CD and Vinyl has the lp60 for $120 without USB, and the lp120 for $300, so I'm definitely shopping around online. Is the 120 really that much better? We might try to save for it.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Crispy

The whole thing about wearing out your records by playing them is strange...and true—just like driving your car will wear it out! I once had a guy lecture me about playing my records once when I was out shopping for cartridges in Tulsa, he was all, "You gotta seal those things up and never play them, they're an investment!" I agree, record collecting is an investment: an investment in my happiness which is generated by listening to my records!  :grin:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 11, 2013, 11:33 AM
The whole thing about wearing out your records by playing them is strange...and true—just like driving your car will wear it out! I once had a guy lecture me about playing my records once when I was out shopping for cartridges in Tulsa, he was all, "You gotta seal those things up and never play them, they're an investment!" I agree, record collecting is an investment: an investment in my happiness which is generated by listening to my records!  :grin:

I agree.  If I don't listen to them, then there is no point!  I'm assuming it takes a lot to wear one out though? 

EverythingChanges

Johnny, how reliable is that vendor for the 120?  That is the cheapest price I can find anywhere.  I'm assuming it is unopened too?

Crispy

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jun 11, 2013, 11:36 AM

I agree.  If I don't listen to them, then there is no point!  I'm assuming it takes a lot to wear one out though?

It would take a lot of spinnings, but I guess it depends on your definition of "worn out." In my 30+ year history of record playing, I have replaced maybe 10 records that I thought didn't sound as good as I would like them to. The latest example was my old copy of Rush's Exit Stage Left, which I surely wore out, thereby generating large amounts of happiness. I found a like-new copy at Amoeba in SF, which had JUST been placed in the New Arrivals bin, and was immediately all snatched up by my greedy little hands.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 11, 2013, 11:45 AM

It would take a lot of spinnings, but I guess it depends on your definition of "worn out." In my 30+ year history of record playing, I have replaced maybe 10 records that I thought didn't sound as good as I would like them to. The latest example was my old copy of Rush's Exit Stage Left, which I surely wore out, thereby generating large amounts of happiness. I found a like-new copy at Amoeba in SF, which had JUST been placed in the New Arrivals bin, and was immediately all snatched up by my greedy little hands.

Thanks Crispy!

Crispy

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jun 11, 2013, 11:51 AM

Thanks Crispy!

You bet! Now that I think about it, three of those replaced records were Dark Side of the Moon...but hey, one of those per decade is pretty good, right?  :grin:

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 11, 2013, 11:56 AM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jun 11, 2013, 11:51 AM

Thanks Crispy!

You bet! Now that I think about it, three of those replaced records were Dark Side of the Moon...but hey, one of those per decade is pretty good, right?  :grin:

Haha! Listening to Us and Them on vinyl gets me all excited. Oh and Eclipse!

EverythingChanges

It looks like the 120 has to be plugged into the computer at all times?  Anyone know this for a fact?  That would definitely complicate where I could place it at the house. 

TheThird

I can vouch for the LP60 being a good turntable to start with (although take that as you will since I know very little about turntables). But like Yac, I didn't pay nearly that much for it. I think I payed maybe $80 off amazon?
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

EverythingChanges

Quote from: TheThird on Jun 11, 2013, 12:14 PM

I can vouch for the LP60 being a good turntable to start with (although take that as you will since I know very little about turntables). But like Yac, I didn't pay nearly that much for it. I think I payed maybe $80 off amazon?

It can't play 78 rpm records though correct?  I'm new to vinyl, so I am not sure how common those records are anyways.

CountSA

I got a nice solid Technics on craigslist for $65 I think.  I would poke around there first...

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: TheThird on Jun 11, 2013, 12:14 PM

I got my LP60 about a month ago and have loved it. Bought from Amazon and payed around $80. 

adastra

A bad needle will wear out your vinyl, but a well maintained setup works just as it should.
I like vintage Merrill, Linn, Acoustic Research and Thorens tables. Some good and not so good deals at www.vinylnirvana.com

Crispy

Quote from: adastra on Jun 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
A bad needle will wear out your vinyl, but a well maintained setup works just as it should.
I like vintage Merrill, Linn, Acoustic Research and Thorens tables. Some good and not so good deals at www.vinylnirvana.com

That is a good point, and one I neglected to make...if the sound matters to you, you will keep things aligned and balanced, and replace old cartridges and keep worn-out needles off your vinyl.

adastra

Here's a nice trick: Mr Clean Magic Eraser works extremely well for light cleaning of needles. And it's a whole lot cheaper than anything "audiophile approved" :)

EverythingChanges

The problem with the lp60 is that the cartridge cannot be changed. The needle can though.

bluesky

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 11, 2013, 04:03 PM
Quote from: adastra on Jun 11, 2013, 03:57 PM

That is a good point, and one I neglected to make...if the sound matters to you, you will keep things aligned and balanced, and replace old cartridges and keep worn-out needles off your vinyl.

how about a garden stone Crispy...Danz?

EverythingChanges

Thanks for all of the great feedback!  I'm poking around the nets to see if I can find a good deal.  I still really like the LP-120 though.