Main Menu

Turntables

Started by MarkW, Jun 15, 2011, 07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

I'm getting a new LP 120 for $205 tonight! Here's a video that got my pumped up, and I figured you all might like it.  Thanks again!

ViciAudio - Explosions in the Sky Take Care, Take Care, Take Care - 2xLP Vinyl (2011)
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Crispy

Way to go, EC!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: bluesky on Jun 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Jun 11, 2013, 04:03 PM
Quote from: adastra on Jun 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
A bad needle will wear out your vinyl, but a well maintained setup works just as it should.
I like vintage Merrill, Linn, Acoustic Research and Thorens tables. Some good and not so good deals at www.vinylnirvana.com

That is a good point, and one I neglected to make...if the sound matters to you, you will keep things aligned and balanced, and replace old cartridges and keep worn-out needles off your vinyl.

how about a garden stone Crispy...Danz?

Ha! I missed this earlier -- better mill that stone down real good!  :grin:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Crispy

Well, sonofabitch! My old Marantz heard me talking about this subject and shit the bed! The damper function has been off for a long time, and now the switch controlling the output completely broke, so I have nothing. I had a line a while back on a guy that refurbished old TTs, but he stopped responding and looked to be pretty fishy, so now I'm back to searching for somebody to work on it, or take the plunge and do it myself. Anybody have suggestions?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2013, 10:39 AM
Well, sonofabitch! My old Marantz heard me talking about this subject and shit the bed! The damper function has been off for a long time, and now the switch controlling the output completely broke, so I have nothing. I had a line a while back on a guy that refurbished old TTs, but he stopped responding and looked to be pretty fishy, so now I'm back to searching for somebody to work on it, or take the plunge and do it myself. Anybody have suggestions?

That's shitty!

I'm new to this universe, so I assure I have no suggestions.  Haha. Good luck though!

EverythingChanges

Any tips and tricks to maintaining a record player, and/or vinyl?

Hawkeye

I would check out websites like audio karma.  TONS of info there.  Turntables/vinyl are kinda like anything else...you can make it as simple or as in-depth as you want to!  I tend to stick towards the "simple" end of the spectrum...I am too busy doing other things to be obsessing about the turntable.

With that said, some basic things you could/should do:
1) Make sure the table is level.  You can also "set it up" to wear on the vinyl as little as possible...I have not done this with my table yet...haven't noticed any problems or issues yet, but may look into this some day.
2) Obviously don't stack the vinyl laying flat, store them at proper temp/humidity, etc.
3) Clean the vinyl with a record cleaning brush before playing.  Should save on the vinyl and the needle.  If a record is really old/dirty, clean with a cleaning machine or other method before playing (although I have been guilty of throwing a few really dirty records on the table and haven't broken the needle yet).

I'm sure I am forgetting some things but these are the things I think about.  Just wait until you get the bug to "upgrade" your table/system...that's a whole other story!  For now, enjoy!

Just FYI I have a Rega RP-1.  My wife bought it for me as a Christmas gift in 2011.
We could.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jun 14, 2013, 11:29 AM
I would check out websites like audio karma.  TONS of info there.  Turntables/vinyl are kinda like anything else...you can make it as simple or as in-depth as you want to!  I tend to stick towards the "simple" end of the spectrum...I am too busy doing other things to be obsessing about the turntable.

With that said, some basic things you could/should do:
1) Make sure the table is level.  You can also "set it up" to wear on the vinyl as little as possible...I have not done this with my table yet...haven't noticed any problems or issues yet, but may look into this some day.
2) Obviously don't stack the vinyl laying flat, store them at proper temp/humidity, etc.
3) Clean the vinyl with a record cleaning brush before playing.  Should save on the vinyl and the needle.  If a record is really old/dirty, clean with a cleaning machine or other method before playing (although I have been guilty of throwing a few really dirty records on the table and haven't broken the needle yet).

I'm sure I am forgetting some things but these are the things I think about.  Just wait until you get the bug to "upgrade" your table/system...that's a whole other story!  For now, enjoy!

Just FYI I have a Rega RP-1.  My wife bought it for me as a Christmas gift in 2011.

Thanks Hawkeye! If they are pretty clean with a few spots of dust, a dry LP brush will work just fine?  Instead of using liquid cleaner?

EverythingChanges

My record is hooked up and spinning! One problem. My sound system is turned to max, but it isn't as loud as I was expecting. Any help? Is vinyl just naturally quiet?

Perhaps the built in pre-amp on the audio technica lp 120 is the culprit.  Explosions in the Sky seems louder than ISM.  I enjoy everything else so far! Great sound! Golden sounds superb on it.

If it is the pre amp that is making everything sound quiet, can anyone point me in the direction of a good pre amp that I could use on this table?  Thanks for any help.

Here's some info about my pre amp:

Output Level: Pre-amp "PHONO": 2.5 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec Pre-amp "LINE": 150 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec
Phono Pre-Amp Gain: 36 dB nominal, RIAA equalized

Hawkeye

Yeah I just use a dry brush.  I'm using the Hunt EDA Mark 6 brush...first one I've ever owned/tried, but it seems to do the trick for removing light surface dust!

Preamp I use is a Bellari VP130.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-VP130-Tube-Phono-Preamp

Hard to beat for "bang for the buck" and it uses a tube (which can be switched out/upgraded) so that addes to the "cool factor!"  Not sure if it will get much louder than your existing preamp or not though...and it's meant to take a phono signal, so I think you might have to find a way to disable your existing preamp to use it?  Sorry I'm not super technical with this stuff yet anyway!

I'm just noticing that your phono output is only 2.5 mV...3-5 mV is more common, so maybe you just have a low-output cartridge, and upgrading your cartridge would help?
We could.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jun 16, 2013, 08:39 AM
Yeah I just use a dry brush.  I'm using the Hunt EDA Mark 6 brush...first one I've ever owned/tried, but it seems to do the trick for removing light surface dust!

Preamp I use is a Bellari VP130.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-VP130-Tube-Phono-Preamp

Hard to beat for "bang for the buck" and it uses a tube (which can be switched out/upgraded) so that addes to the "cool factor!"  Not sure if it will get much louder than your existing preamp or not though...and it's meant to take a phono signal, so I think you might have to find a way to disable your existing preamp to use it?  Sorry I'm not super technical with this stuff yet anyway!

I'm just noticing that your phono output is only 2.5 mV...3-5 mV is more common, so maybe you just have a low-output cartridge, and upgrading your cartridge would help?

So you think the cartridge is more the problem?

EverythingChanges

I discovered that my needle wasn't fully seated in the cartridge.  The player is decently louder now thankfully.

However, it makes a low constant crackling sound now, and occasionally there is a louder pop.  Is this normally caused by tracking too hard? Or by a faulty needle?  I'm super frustrated at the moment.  Hopefully the stylus isn't damaged. 

This is my stylus:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Magnet-Phono-Cartridge-AT95E/dp/B004NRVUMI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

I have it set to 2.0g.  Any ideas?

Hawkeye

Not regarding a turntable, but turntable-related:

Just upgraded my home stereo.
Former setup:
Klipsch SF-3 speakers
Panasonic SA-XR25 receiver
Rega RP-1 turntable
Bellari VP-130 preamp

Traded out the Klipsch SF-3 for some Wharfedale Diamond 9.6.  Unfortunately they are in Ohio right now (I'm in NC)...hoping to get those within a month or so.

Replaced the Panasonic receiver with Emotiva UPA-200 amp and USP-1 preamp.  The USP-1 has a built-in phono stage, which I haven't tried yet.  May or may not be keeping the Bellari.  It is a tube amp, so it may supply some warmth to the sound that the Emotiva phono stage may be lacking in...we'll see!

Excited to be getting the speakers, but the new amps have already greatly improved the sound!  For anyone looking for "budget" stereo amps, I can recommend Emotiva.  As many others have said "they should cost at least twice as much."  Built like a tank.  Great clarity, extremely quiet "noise floor," very powerful...and I bought the cheapest amps they make!
We could.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jun 26, 2013, 10:07 AM
Not regarding a turntable, but turntable-related:

Just upgraded my home stereo.
Former setup:
Klipsch SF-3 speakers
Panasonic SA-XR25 receiver
Rega RP-1 turntable
Bellari VP-130 preamp

Traded out the Klipsch SF-3 for some Wharfedale Diamond 9.6.  Unfortunately they are in Ohio right now (I'm in NC)...hoping to get those within a month or so.

Replaced the Panasonic receiver with Emotiva UPA-200 amp and USP-1 preamp.  The USP-1 has a built-in phono stage, which I haven't tried yet.  May or may not be keeping the Bellari.  It is a tube amp, so it may supply some warmth to the sound that the Emotiva phono stage may be lacking in...we'll see!

Excited to be getting the speakers, but the new amps have already greatly improved the sound!  For anyone looking for "budget" stereo amps, I can recommend Emotiva.  As many others have said "they should cost at least twice as much."  Built like a tank.  Great clarity, extremely quiet "noise floor," very powerful...and I bought the cheapest amps they make!

Sounds super nice!

Hawkeye

Thanks EC.  Sorry I didn't answer your last question, but I'm not sure...make sure the records are as clean as possible...I think that's the #1 cause of pops and crackles.  If you have any REALLY dirty records, they make all sorts of record cleaners you could try.  If they are just dusty, just try a carbon fiber brush...lots of those out there too.

I will post on here if I decide to sell the Bellari pre-amp, in case anyone is interested.  It will come with 2 extra tubes.
We could.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jun 26, 2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks EC.  Sorry I didn't answer your last question, but I'm not sure...make sure the records are as clean as possible...I think that's the #1 cause of pops and crackles.  If you have any REALLY dirty records, they make all sorts of record cleaners you could try.  If they are just dusty, just try a carbon fiber brush...lots of those out there too.

I will post on here if I decide to sell the Bellari pre-amp, in case anyone is interested.  It will come with 2 extra tubes.

I've determined the culprit to be static. When I opened up Z for the first time, my arm hair stuck out towards the record. The more I play it, the less it seems to pop.

parkervb

Finally got my home stereo set up:

audio-technica AT-LP60 (came highly recommended by several forum peeps)
Sony STR-DH130 (pretty basic receiver)
Klipsch B-20 speakers (got a great deal)

Pic: http://twitter.com/parkervb/status/353961790553600000/photo/1

Don't own any Jacket records yet so broke it in with Beggar's Banquet followed by Dark Side of the Moon.
Don't you ever turn it off

Hawkeye

Not a turntable question, but a hi-fi question.  Anyone heard Magnepan speakers (or any planar speakers)?  I'm considering getting some MMGW (small, wall hanging $325/pair) or MMG (floorstanding, $600/pr).  Read lots of reviews...just can't decide if they will be better than my Wharfedales (which I don't have yet).  The Wharfedales are $1500-2000/pair new...can these lower-priced speakers compare?  I've heard the sound from planar speakers is like none other...BIG soundstage, detailed, realistic, natural, airy...all descriptors I've heard.  People say once they get used to planar speakers they can't go back to box/cone speakers again.  That will probably be my Christmas present, trying out some Magnepans.
We could.

wolof7

Just bought a Technics SL-B1. A very solid turntable. Now I need a new receiver. Any suggestions? :tongue:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Hawkeye

Wolof, are you in the States?  If so, I'd at least take a look at Emotiva.  I got their USP-1 preamp and UPA-200 amp.  Their bottom of the barrel stuff, but it sounds great.  The UPA-200 has TONS of clean power, to drive even difficult speakers.  Cost me $690 for both.
We could.

headhunter

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jul 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
Not a turntable question, but a hi-fi question.  Anyone heard Magnepan speakers (or any planar speakers)?  I'm considering getting some MMGW (small, wall hanging $325/pair) or MMG (floorstanding, $600/pr).  Read lots of reviews...just can't decide if they will be better than my Wharfedales (which I don't have yet).  The Wharfedales are $1500-2000/pair new...can these lower-priced speakers compare?  I've heard the sound from planar speakers is like none other...BIG soundstage, detailed, realistic, natural, airy...all descriptors I've heard.  People say once they get used to planar speakers they can't go back to box/cone speakers again.  That will probably be my Christmas present, trying out some Magnepans.

Hawkeye,
I've had Maggies for 10 years now and they are the only part of my system I never change.  Imo they are the best audio speaker you can get for the $.  I have 3.6rs.  PM me if you want to chat.  I'm always happy to chat about Maggies and audio equipment.
But fyi, I cant thing of another brand of audio equipment that I would rave about more than Magnepans.

was some shakin' and some record playin'