JEFF the Brotherhood

Started by capt. scotty, Jun 20, 2011, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Started a thread on these guys last year, but no one seemed interested. But its a new forum, new yr, and new people frequenting the circuits. I didnt even know these guys were coming out with a new album til today, but it kills. Theyre very simple blues/punk rock, raw and not much to their music, but I love it just for that.

Jeff The Brotherhood - The Ripper (Live on KEXP)

Hey Friend by JEFF The Brotherhood
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Tracy 2112

I saw one of their early gigs in Nashville probably in 2004 and didn't realize that was them until I started reading recent press. I loved them.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sittingcow

I like 'em, but listening to them once a month or so is good for me. I'll definitely see 'em if I get the chance!

subinai

littleacorn

I met the guys at Third Man Records, Jack White's place in Nashville. They were there checking out Nobunny and local band Pujol. If you like JEFF then check out Pujol too.
http://youtu.be/gqw2S5oUzJg
mmj blew my brain to bits on 6-17-11,8-22-12, 6-11-15, 5-28-16, 5-29-16

capt. scotty

Quote from: sittingcow on Jul 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
I like 'em, but listening to them once a month or so is good for me. I'll definitely see 'em if I get the chance!

Not saying that theyll become my favorite band, but I think they fuckin rock and have their own style
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

Might go see these guys tonight.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

Went. They were pretty good, and seemed like nice guys. They played at this all ages spot a friend of mine runs. My one friend made me laugh though, I asked him if he wanted to go and he said "I already seen them before, when they were called Weezer."

Penny Lane

i HATE weezer, should i still check these dudes out?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Penny Lane on Sep 02, 2011, 10:35 AM

They don't sound EXACTLY like weezer. The dudes melodies kind of sound like rivers though.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Penny Lane on Sep 02, 2011, 10:35 AM

I can hear the Weezer the comparisons based on some of their songs, but I think they have their own sound without a doubt. For one, its just a 3 string guitar (PUSA style) and drums. Also, they dont take themselves very seriously. I would put them closer to a pop/garage rock spectrum than weezer.

Listen to the songs I put in the first post, as well as Heavy Days and U Got The Look.

Ruckus

Sadly the Pentagram, Valient Thorr, and Jeff the Brotherhood show was cancelled due to Irene.

I'm not sure I get the Weezer comparison and I find them to be a little heavier in sound than described above.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Luna Moth

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/08/143262428/jeff-the-brotherhood-tiny-desk-concert

sounds good, if you've scanned through the book "Look at This Fucking Hipster" you will laugh at the comparisons as well.

Fully

Quote from: Luna Moth on Dec 08, 2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.npr.org/2011/12/08/143262428/jeff-the-brotherhood-tiny-desk-concert

sounds good, if you've scanned through the book "Look at This Fucking Hipster" you will laugh at the comparisons as well.
I was just going to post this link, but you beat me to it. :thumbsup:

ManNamedTruth

I might've overlooked this thread, but started listening to em a couple months back and got obsessed with We Are the Champions. Without reading much at all about them I heard the same comparisons others make with Weezer (Pinkerton era Weezer, the song Endless Fire in particular), and the Ramones, mixed with psychedelic/stoner rock.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

manonthemoon

Checked these guys out in DC earlier this year in a small venue and it was a great show.  I think their style is more of the garage punk than Weezer, but can see the comparision from a couple of songs on WATC.  The ripper is a crazy good song and the new single, Whatever I want sounds great.  Psyched about seeing these guys at 9:30 here in the new year.
Alive or Just Breathing

Ruckus

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 04, 2011, 10:56 AM
Sadly the Pentagram, Valient Thorr, and Jeff the Brotherhood show was cancelled due to Irene.

I'm not sure I get the Weezer comparison and I find them to be a little heavier in sound than described above.
Correction.  We Are the Champions sounds exactly like Weezer.  I purchased both of their albums about a month ago.  Heavy Days is incredible and makes we wish I discovered this album much longer ago!  We Are the Champions is not my thing for sure.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

bold992006

Saw these guys friday open for the Kills....I thought they were great.  Nice heavy scuzzy sound.  A few songs did sound like Weezer but nothing wrong with that...my favorite part was watching Allison from the Kills singing along to every word of their last few songs.