MMJ joins Sound Strike

Started by SaraBananaBear, Jun 29, 2010, 07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Found this, maybe someone already posted this (I can't bear to visit all parts of the forum these days...  ;)), but if not:

"Nobody in the music world seems to like Arizona's controversial new immigration law, but people are divided on how to approach it. Rage Against the Machine frontman Zack de la Rocha has helped organized the Sound Strike, a protest that involves various musicians agreeing to boycott the entire state of Arizona until the law is repealed. Kanye West, Sonic Youth, Conor Oberst, Massive Attack, and many others have already signed up for the boycott; Oberst recently recorded a new song specifically for the Sound Strike.

Today, the Sound Strike has announced a list of artists who have recently joined the boycott, including Nine Inch Nails, M[highlight]y Morning Jacket[/highlight], Gogol Bordello, Steve Earle, Chris Rock, Billy Bragg, DJ Spooky, and Throwing Muses."

From: http://pitchfork.com/news/39293-nine-inch-nails-my-morning-jacket-join-arizona-boycott-as-backlash-mounts/

Hope the strike works!
:)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

My Morning Coffee

Yeah good to see the boys get behind a cause!

Read that Zach was also talking about doing some concerts as well...could be awesome to catch a few of these bands on the same bill.
~ I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~

capt. scotty

How about RATM come out with a new album this decade instead of boycotting fans who have no control over the law
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

SunDevil

You know what, this seriously pisses me off.  I've paid well over $100 to see MMJ play the Marquee Theatre in Tempe, Arizona on three separate occasions.  I also paid to see them play Coachella and have bought plenty in merchandise.  MMJ always draws a great, adoring crowd here...and because of those shows I saw at the Marquee I always considered them my favorite live act EVER.

Now I see they are boycotting the state.  Bullsh**!  What is that going to accomplish other than alienating your fans here and hurting local promoters?  There's no way that any AZ politician that voted yes on this admittedly BS law really cares if MMJ ever plays Arizona again.  I highly doubt Evil Urges was on Jan Brewer's "Best of 2008" list.  

But guess who does care - their fans.  Does MMJ seriously think any more than a tiny minority of their fans support this law?  Why not actually COME HERE instead and put on a benefit show for the Political Action organizations fighting the law?  Just like Public Enemy did back in Arizona back in the early nineties - at least those guys had the huevos to show up and confront the problem head-on.

Anyway, this guy (who's the best promoter in the state) puts it a lot more elegantly than I can:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2010/06/23/20100623levy24.html

Ohh, and same goes to you, Sonic Youth.  Paid $35 to see your show at the Marquee in January, now I see you decided to piss all over those same fans that showed up.  Thanks a lot.

My Morning Coffee

QuoteYou know what, this seriously pisses me off.  I've paid well over $100 to see MMJ play the Marquee Theatre in Tempe, Arizona on three separate occasions.  I also paid to see them play Coachella and have bought plenty in merchandise.  MMJ always draws a great, adoring crowd here...and because of those shows I saw at the Marquee I always considered them my favorite live act EVER.

Now I see they are boycotting the state.  Bullsh**!  What is that going to accomplish other than alienating your fans here and hurting local promoters?  There's no way that any AZ politician that voted yes on this admittedly BS law really cares if MMJ ever plays Arizona again.  I highly doubt Evil Urges was on Jan Brewer's "Best of 2008" list.  

But guess who does care - their fans.  Does MMJ seriously think any more than a tiny minority of their fans support this law?  Why not actually COME HERE instead and put on a benefit show for the Political Action organizations fighting the law?  Just like Public Enemy did back in Arizona back in the early nineties - at least those guys had the huevos to show up and confront the problem head-on.

Anyway, this guy (who's the best promoter in the state) puts it a lot more elegantly than I can:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2010/06/23/20100623levy24.html

Ohh, and same goes to you, Sonic Youth.  Paid $35 to see your show at the Marquee in January, now I see you decided to piss all over those same fans that showed up.  Thanks a lot.

Sound Strike architect Zack de la Rocha tells Billboard that the protest could culminate in a series of protest concerts in July: "In the coming weeks we are going to be organizing a series of concerts that are respectful of the nature of the boycott in its attempts to isolate the Arizona government but not isolate the people, and especially the organizations that are fighting this on the ground," de la Rocha said in a telephone interview. "Many of us have begun to plan concerts that include bands that have signed on the Sound Strike, and make tickets available so that people within Arizona can come and see these concerts as they roll out. These are things that are being set into motion right now - a series of concerts or maybe even one giant concert in late July."

http://bit.ly/9Ayp2Z
~ I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~

Taterbug

I won't be supporting this. I'm for the Arizona law.  I don't even know where to begin with everything that is wrong with this boycott. I think the boys are putting there name on something that could damage future revenue.  It's to big of a hot button issue and they are on the wrong side of public opinion.  If they want to boycott something  boycott BP.  The southern border is the biggest threat to our financial and national security.  

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Ruckus

Let's try to walk on eggshells with this thread. [smiley=beer.gif]. Or is it tread softly?   ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

pathway04

Like SunDevil, I'm really bummed to see MMJ on this list.  This protest only hurts people who share the artists' viewpoints.  It doesn't surprise me to see a band like RATM conceive such a short-sighted solution, as they've based their career on being a novelty act masquerading as activists, but I'd hope MMJ reconsiders.  Their position on donating ticket funds to local charities is truly admirable, and they could make a big impact by playing in AZ, talking up the show to local media, and making a big point of choosing a charity group like nomoredeaths.org, which Damian Abraham from F*cked Up pointed out is a charity working on the front lines to fight the fallout of immigration laws.

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteYou know what, this seriously pisses me off.  I've paid well over $100 to see MMJ play the Marquee Theatre in Tempe, Arizona on three separate occasions.  I also paid to see them play Coachella and have bought plenty in merchandise.  MMJ always draws a great, adoring crowd here...and because of those shows I saw at the Marquee I always considered them my favorite live act EVER.

[size=16]Amen SUNDEVIL!  F**K this "boycott" crap.  People need to take a HUGE f-ing time out and realize that states rights are KING in the U-S-of A!  AZ has every right to protect it's soveignty against the tide of criminal trash crawling across its borders and raising havoc.  Here's a novel idea:  How about Mexico cleans up all the corruption and criminal behavior in its government so it can concentrate on creating an economy of its own that its people actually want to work and thrive in instead of violating our laws and trying to steal our economy away from us!  SUNDEVIL:  I am officially on an Arizona BUYCOTT!  I am buying as many "made in Arizona" products as I can find!  God Bless Gov. Brewer! [/size]
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Taterbug

[size=16]Amen SUNDEVIL!  F**K this "boycott" crap.  People need to take a HUGE f-ing time out and realize that states rights are KING in the U-S-of A!  AZ has every right to protect it's soveignty against the tide of criminal trash crawling across its borders and raising havoc.  Here's a novel idea:  How about Mexico cleans up all the corruption and criminal behavior in its government so it can concentrate on creating an economy of its own that its people actually want to work and thrive in instead of violating our laws and trying to steal our economy away from us!  SUNDEVIL:  I am officially on an Arizona BUYCOTT!  I am buying as many "made in Arizona" products as I can find!  God Bless Gov. Brewer! [/size]

AHH OHH...  Looks like someone POKED THE BEAR.  I new this topic would pull you out of hibernation  ;).

I'm with you on this one my good fellow.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

BH

Does anyone know where I can read a neutral description of the law.  I've never really seen the details anywhere, just all of the reaction to it.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MMJ_fanatic

AHH OHH...  Looks like someone POKED THE BEAR.  I new this topic would pull you out of hibernation  ;).

I'm with you on this one my good fellow.

For you T-bug:   :-*
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Nikkogino

Yeah, not a huge fan of the law, although I can see what it's aim is.  The boycott is also pretty stupid.  You hurt people in the state who are for the law/aren't for the law.  It would be like boycotting BP.....it sounds like a trendy thing to do, but you hurt a lot of American workers who depend on their paychecks to live.  The oil spill and the border wars are bad situations....boycotts do nothing to help.  And bands not playing in a state won't make a difference one way or another.  It'd be like MMJ not putting BP gas in their bus....who gives a shit?  It's kinda laughable.

Make a damn new album already.

aMillionDreams

When you all start a band anybody gives a shit about then you can do whatever you want and hear it from a bunch of haters on the internet.  Till then, live and let live.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

SaraBananaBear

Well I don't know too much about this and I'm not American, but about this becoming like a punishment to fans in the state, I think Conor Oberst said it pretty well when he said that:

"I've played a lot of shows in Arizona and I have fans there and I hope that they don't feel like we're attempting to punish them, 'cause that's not what it's about. If the choices are some kind of action, even if it's somewhat imperfect, or no action at all, we have to choose some kind of action."

Not that he has anything to do with how MMJ feels about it, but I still think it's pretty well put. But that's just my humble European opinion, no offense meant to anyone.
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

wakebord

the law is poorly drafted.  its goals could have been accomplished in a much better way.  i don't like talking politics whatsoever, but i can understand what Conor is saying, and i imagine that the MMJ guys feel similar to Conor.  i don't see them doing this to punish fans, more that they are just standing up for what they believe in.  and as the fourth of july approaches, standing up for what believe in is quite american, and we should celebrate our rights and MMJ's rights to stand up for what matters to them.  

red

regardless of your opinion on the never ending tension between states rights vs. federal law, the band is entitled to make any statement they want/not make an statement they want. this is america.

moreover, while you may not like the position, THE BOYCOTT IS NOT ABOUT YOU. IT IS NOT ABOUT ARIZONA FANS. it seems to be about the band choosing to not patronize/contribute revenue to a government that the band feels is not in line with what they think is appropriate/fair/right.

good luck with your BUYcott. good thing arizona is such a hotbed of manufacturing and production. this should be easy.

members only jacket

I am going to start a BUYcott.  Of Members Only jackets!!!

When you put it on, something happens.

members only jacket

My main man Zac Efron wears Members Only jackets. Gots to stock up NOW.

When you put it on, something happens.

pathway04

Vintage Tom Chambers t-shirts are the perfect buycott accessories to Members Only Jackets.