Phrases that annoy you...

Started by Jon T., Jul 01, 2011, 09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jul 01, 2011, 02:43 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 01, 2011, 02:34 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jul 01, 2011, 02:02 PM
you guys really do not like talking to people.   may we all take notes from your perfection.  "like I hate when people use words to talk, it's like so stupidz".

That doesn't make any sense.  You're saying there isn't a phrase or word that you don't like?  You find the words, "you betcha" coming out of Sarah Palin's mouth pleasant?   ;D
This isn't one person saying they hate all of the above phrases, it's a bunch of people saying a couple things that they don't care for.

well sure it does.  when palin says something dumb as fuck it annoys me but it's because I hate her not because of the specific words.  with palin it's different too because she's more celebrity than actual human. 

we all say stupid shit, frequently.  "man like he's the gayest fag ever" hurts my feelings but that's only because it's my dad talking about me to my mom.   if it was anybody else I wouldn't care.

;D

And another purpose this thread has served (for me, anyway) take Crispy's "to be perfectly honest".  I know I've said that before.  I don't say it often, and I don't know when I've said, but I know I've said it.  But looking at it writing I realize how stupid it is.  I mean it doesn't even make sense.  So now I know I'll never say "to be perfectly honest" again.  If I slip up and say it, I'll recognize how dumb it was - give myself a cockpunch and try and learn from my mistake.

Jaimoe

A couple more that many Americans say with frequency:

"Where's that at"? and "I tell you what".

Crispy

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 01, 2011, 03:02 PM
And another purpose this thread has served (for me, anyway) take Crispy's "to be perfectly honest".  I know I've said that before.  I don't say it often, and I don't know when I've said, but I know I've said it.  But looking at it writing I realize how stupid it is.  I mean it doesn't even make sense.  So now I know I'll never say "to be perfectly honest" again.  If I slip up and say it, I'll recognize how dumb it was - give myself a cockpunch and try and learn from my mistake.

I do it too. And to be perfectly honest (GAH), it's just a way of emphasizing a point that uses a poor choice of words. It's actually way less annoying than hearing someone say "for all intensive purposes"  ;D Sorry.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

johnnYYac

For all in tents...

and porpoises!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

kydiddle

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 01, 2011, 04:06 PM
For all in tents...

and porpoises!

;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 01, 2011, 03:22 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 01, 2011, 03:02 PM

I do it too. And to be perfectly honest (GAH), it's just a way of emphasizing a point that uses a poor choice of words. It's actually way less annoying than hearing someone say "for all intensive purposes"  ;D Sorry.

I catch myself doing it, too. Same with "No offense, but..."
Cow temperature.

Crispy

Quote from: kydiddle on Jul 01, 2011, 04:13 PM

I catch myself doing it, too. Same with "No offense, but..."

Oh hell, that reminds me of another one! "I hate to tell you this, but..."

Aha, Johnny! So that's what it's really about!  ;D
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

BH

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jul 01, 2011, 03:05 PM

Oh shit, Jaimoe is playing the "canada is better than america" card again.   ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

Quote from: BH on Jul 01, 2011, 04:19 PM

What do you mean, "again"? That implies he's stopped at some point.  ::)

vespachick

Around my office it's "can you ping him/her"?  No I cannot. I can call or send an email, but I do not ping, at least not without good old pong.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Jaimoe

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 01, 2011, 04:23 PM
Quote from: BH on Jul 01, 2011, 04:19 PM

What do you mean, "again"? That implies he's stopped at some point.  ::)

I have enough distractions with Toronto's idiot mayor, our idiot Prime Minister, the impending Ontario provincial election and continuing fury towards Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia to worry about any Canada vs USA nonsense  :)

darkglow

i'm starting to enjoy the word "epic" less and less each time i hear it..

seems like in this tosh.0 age people throw that word around a bit too carelessly.. kind of takes the power out of such a cool word.. been seeing it in alot of MMJ live reviews of this tour

instead of calling it an "epic showcase".. how about "a masterfully orchestrated display of a fusion of communication of emotion"

BH

Quote from: darkglow on Jul 01, 2011, 04:41 PM
i'm starting to enjoy the word "epic" less and less each time i hear it..

seems like in this tosh.0 age people throw that word around a bit too carelessly.. kind of takes the power out of such a cool word.. been seeing it in alot of MMJ live reviews of this tour

instead of calling it an "epic showcase".. how about "a masterfully orchestrated display of a fusion of communication of emotion"

Let's officially replace the word "epic" with "jacketish".

"Wow, that performance last night was jacketish!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

I had to, y'know, think about this topic, y'know, 'cause, y'know, I do a lot of these, y'know, annoying phrases myself.  Y'know?

Cole Y'Know
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

el_chode

I don't like it when people say "all but" and mean it to be exclusive of everything except for the thing that follows the but.

I'm surrounded by assholes

mjk73

Quote from: BH on Jul 01, 2011, 12:27 PM
Another phrase that annoys me, "Sir, no more drinks for you."   Why are people constantly saying that all the time?  So annoying.
I agree. Who the hell do these sober people think they are?

also add "Honey, we're pregnant." That one is just scary.

el_chode

I also hate Rachel Ray's word combinations and small, yet wide-apart tits
I'm surrounded by assholes

Taterbug

Quote from: el_chode on Jul 01, 2011, 05:06 PM
I also hate Rachel Ray's word combinations and small, yet wide-apart tits

I agree,  her one nipple reminds me of a wandering eye.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

tdb810

"to make a long story short..."

is never a short story.
.....Back at the Model Home

mjk73

Quote from: tdb810 on Jul 01, 2011, 08:56 PM
"to make a long story short..."

is never a short story.
I usually say "too late" whenever anyone tells me that...ala Clue.