Quips/phrases that we love!

Started by wolof7, Jul 04, 2011, 07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

In response to the 'phrases that annoy you' thread, there are many quips that are fun and can make one seem smart and witty. here's a few; unsure if they all are official or if some are made up by my friends/colleagues....here's just a few I keep in my back pocket:

- He/she is lower than a snake belly in a wagon rut: a person of low moral standard

- them dogs'll hunt: to emphatically accept something/ I could go for that

- that's a horse of a different color: that's another thing all together

....and my all-time favorite which I've only used twice!
- So, (apart from that,) how was the rest of the play Mrs. Lincoln: A sarcastic phrase meant to downplay the complaint or misfortune of another person, similar to playing the world's tiniest violin with one's finger (about a complaint of an arbritaty thing/event/situation etc.)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Paulie_Walnuts

A South African colleague who was complaining of constipation once told my wife he was "three meals in front and two shits behind!"
Paulie W

wolof7

that's some good stuff there Paulie!  :thumbsup:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mjk73

Wow Paulie. Nothing like playing the ace of spades right up front!

Tracy 2112

He/She could talk the ears off a field of corn
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Paulie_Walnuts

There seems to be a bit of a theme running through my favourites but a couple of others are:

When referring to someone who is tight with money...."he'd skin a turd for a ha'penny."

Or when it's really cold and you see someone shivering......"he's like a dog shitting razor blades."
Paulie W

Crispy

My boss is the king of colloqualisms. One of my favorites, referring to telling someone a hard truth: "He really told him how the cow ate the cabbage."
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Crispy

Another one I enjoy that I first heard from my ex, referring to a large quantity: "I've got more [insert thing you have a lot of] than Carter has liver pills."
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ghosts_on_TV

Not really a phrase, but Douchebag is the greatest word in the English language.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

TheBigChicken

when my dad would say "it will be  too wet to plow" you had just messed up :-\
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Jon T.

(she was/is) Sweeter than a plate of yams - with extra syrup.

damn, I miss OutKast.

mjk73

Sweating worse than a whore in Confession

WSS2

Jon T.

"cooler than freddie jackson sipping milkshake snowstorm"

Taterbug

" He/She  is so ugly she could scare a bulldog out of a meat truck "

Whenever I would screw up my Dad would tell me " Boy...you better get your shit all in one sock"

Or when it would rain real hard he would say " It's comin down like a cow pissin on a flat rock "
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

WSS2

her face looks like someone tried to put out a forest fire with a screwdriver

Taterbug

Quote from: WSS2 on Jul 05, 2011, 10:42 AM
her face looks like someone tried to put out a forest fire with a screwdriver

Or   " it looks like her face caught on fire and someone put it out with a golf shoe "
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

WSS2

Tracy 2112

He finished 2nd in a passive-aggressive contest but refused to accept his ribbon.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Taterbug

Quote from: Paulie_Walnuts on Jul 04, 2011, 10:32 AM

When referring to someone who is tight with money...."he'd skin a turd for a ha'penny."

Or
" He is so tight, he could shove a piece of coal up his ass and he would squeeze out a diamond "

Taterbug

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 05, 2011, 10:56 AM
He finished 2nd in a passive-aggressive contest but refused to accept his ribbon.

;D