Random Gear Talk Thread!

Started by buster douglas, Jul 20, 2011, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChronicHunger

While on the subject of there gear. Ive been trying to find Jims 1999 ltd edition V for sale, looks like its pretty tough to even find pictures of one, let alone one for sale, Found this link awhile back but the dude already sold it. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1575764-Gibson-limited-edition-flying-V

Chief Mageeetah

You definitely don't see many in that color finish.  The one that sold on HC is dead on.  Put a mirror pickguard on it and it's good to go.  It's possible that sometime down the line Gibson could make a Jim James signature model since most of his electrics are Gibsons outside of the red Gretsch.

ChronicHunger

Yea, he used to play a strat on a few tunes, and i dont know what his 12 string electric is.

MarkW

Quote from: Chief Mageeetah on Jul 20, 2011, 11:57 PM
We should make this the official My Morning Jacket Gear Geek thread.

Sorted.  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Chief Mageeetah

johnnYYac

Gotta get Buster D to modify the subject.  Thanks for the cool links.  I'm no musician but find all of this quite interesting.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Chief Mageeetah

I think Buster had a question about Jim's board I wanted to respond to.  If you watch the KCRW video there are some great shots of Jim's board.  The pedals he uses, at least on this tour, from what I could see:  2x Boss RV5 (reverbs, probably uses two to stagger the settings for different songs), Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo Reverb, SiB Mr. Echo, Malekko Spring Chicken Reverb, and 3x Boss TU2 (Tuners, I know for a fact MMJ uses different tunings depending on the song they are playing so these are probably all set to different tunings.  There were a couple of other pedals I just couldn't see so this list is not complete.  Hope that answers some questions.

DewieCox

Quote from: Chief Mageeetah on Sep 05, 2011, 03:45 PM
I think Buster had a question about Jim's board I wanted to respond to.  If you watch the KCRW video there are some great shots of Jim's board.  The pedals he uses, at least on this tour, from what I could see:  2x Boss RV5 (reverbs, probably uses two to stagger the settings for different songs), Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo Reverb, SiB Mr. Echo, Malekko Spring Chicken Reverb, and 3x Boss TU2 (Tuners, I know for a fact MMJ uses different tunings depending on the song they are playing so these are probably all set to different tunings.  There were a couple of other pedals I just couldn't see so this list is not complete.  Hope that answers some questions.

I'd like to hear an explanation on the TU2's. Not saying you're wrong, but it seems strange since those things will do any tuning without changing any settings. Maybe I need to get the owner's manual out.

Aside from capo moving what tunes are in different tunings?

Chief Mageeetah

I can't say anything for certain.  As much as I would like to be Jim's guitar tech I'm just another fan.  You can set the TU2 on standard tuning, half step drop, and whole step drop.  I would guess that one could be set at standard, another at half step, and the third could just be a backup which makes since.  I know on Victory Dance the tuning is dropped one half step without a capo.  But on songs like Mageetah and Golden the guitars are tuned to E minor (EBEGBE) with a capo on the first fret.   I could very well be wrong about the TU2's but I can't figure any other reason why he would have 3 of them on his board. 

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Chief Mageeetah

Great interview!  I wondered how Carl got into Carr amps.  Steve Carr might make some of the best sounding amps on the market today.  Thanks for sharing.