Random Gear Talk Thread!

Started by buster douglas, Jul 20, 2011, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster douglas

What's with the pink tape on Jim's red Gretsch?  It always catches my eye, I figure someone here might know what the deal is...

johnnYYac

I think Jim has a sense of humor and it just says "Hi"

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Schmokenvontoken

definitely for laughs with the novelty "Hi" thrown in there, but i do believe it has some practical use, in that it makes it so the toggle switch for different pickup settings does not move when yim is in full swing rocking the shit outta "you wanna freak out" for example.
There will be Bigotry and Open Minds*
There will be days of Peace~
I hope you have the Time^

Schmokenvontoken

it looks as if he has a pretty sophisticated pickup and tone knobs custom built into the bottom of that Gretsch, so the stock one is just stabilized. 
There will be Bigotry and Open Minds*
There will be days of Peace~
I hope you have the Time^

Chief Mageeetah

Actually that control panel is stock on the Gretsch Super Axe.  Its to control the on-board effects (phase, compression, and sustain).  And that tape is to keep the toggle in position, and probably to say hi.  However, that Bigsby Vibrato is not stock and was added on at some point.

You can buy your very own here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1977-Gretsch-Super-Axe-W-OHSC-/110717991484?pt=Guitar&hash=item19c74e7a3c

I'm not selling this by the way so I'm not spammin', just wanted to show a good example of the axe.

buster douglas

What prompt and well-informed responses!  Thanks!

Chief Mageeetah

No problem, I'm a huge gear head.  And I don't know this for sure but I doubt Jim uses the on-board effects on this guitar, considering they are probably inferior to the effects he uses on his pedal board.  The wiring for the on-board effects are probably bypassed altogether and he just uses this axe for that Gretsch jangle on certain numbers.

johnnYYac

I don't know guitars too well, but she's a beaut!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Chief Mageeetah

While we're on guitars.  Carl was playing this one on Conan the other night and I think its his new one.  I've never seen him play it prior to that performance.

Duesenberg Double Cat

Carl loves Duesenbergs

buster douglas

He's had that at least since Evil Urges, he played it on Austin City Limits in 2008.  True Beauty.

Boutique near my place stocks Duesenbergs, I often stroll in for a Wayne's World-esque sampling...

Chief Mageeetah

Your thinking about this one:

Duesenberg Starplayer

Carl calls it Doozy

buster douglas

Nope, he definitely plays the pointed one as well on Austin City Limits 2008.

Though both are sexy. :o

buster douglas

I'm trying to find a pic or video clip but no luck so far.  I'm pretty sure he only played it during the track Evil Urges.

Chief Mageeetah

You are totally right, I stand corrected. :thumbsup:  I've been to a lot of shows and never saw it so I assumed it was new.  Good eye.

buster douglas

S'all good just sharing in the guitar geekdom!

Chief Mageeetah

We should make this the official My Morning Jacket Gear thread.

buster douglas

Yeah it's true there isn't too much gearhead talk on this board... I also sometimes post on the Black Keys Fan Lounge forum and that's like 60% gear talk.

I can't keep up with most of it, I like guitars but I'm a pretty big noob gear-wise, my appreciation for certain models is mostly aesthetically-based.  Perhaps you could further educate some of us... know much about their pedal rigs?

Chief Mageeetah

This is a cool site that shows Carl's complete signal chain for each song on the Evil Urges recording.
http://www.eqmag.com/article/my-morning-jacket/nov-08/89769

Great resource if your trying to find certain sounds.

I don't know much about Jim's pedal board, but for a moment at the Hangout Fest one of the stage hands lifted his board up to do something and I caught a glimpse of this:

A great guitar reverb pedal which I also own, makes your bedroom sound like the Grand Canyon.