Trigger Hippy - Black Crowes/Jackie Greene Supergroup

Started by EasyRyder, Jul 21, 2011, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasyRyder

Anybody heard about this newly formed collaboration/supergroup?

Nick Govrik (Black Crowes bassist)
Audley Freed (Black Crowes guitarist)
Steve Gorman (Black Crowes drummer)
Jackie Greene! (Of Phil Lesh and Friends + solo touring fame)
Joan Osborne
http://www.triggerhippy.net/

Supposedly they performed a couple times in 2009 together, but I wasn't aware of this project until now. Jimmy Herring also played with them, but he isn't in the lineup anymore so hopefully things will get grittier.

They've only listed those five dates (above) in the southeast so far. Did anyone see any shows of theirs in '09?

I've always enjoyed the Black Crowes stuff, and Jackie Greene is one of my favorite meandering lone wolf type artists out there, so I'm hopeful that this will turn into something lasting.

brief article: http://www.jambands.com/news/2011/06/21/jackie-greene-is-the-newest-member-of-trigger-hippy
longer article about debut in '09:
http://www.jambase.com/Articles/16589/Trigger-Hippy-%7C-02.07.09-%7C-Georgia
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Penny Lane

no northeast dates? love Jackie Greene, this is awesome..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

EasyRyder

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 22, 2011, 09:58 AM
no northeast dates? love Jackie Greene, this is awesome..

From the sound of Jackie's blog these are just some preliminary shows to nail out kinks.
I'm sure if things go well y'all will get some soon  :)

I'm going to the Birmingham show, so I'll let you know how it turns out!

lucylew

Wow.  Super exciting.  Thanks for sharing.  Jackie is a local boy and I've not heard anything about this!

EasyRyder

Quote from: lucylew link=topic=15194.msg269563#msg :thumbsup:269563 date=1311396111
Wow.  Super exciting.  Thanks for sharing.  Jackie is a local boy and I've not heard anything about this!

and so the pieces begin to come together:

"The first seed for Trigger Hippy was planted a few years ago when Nick, Audley, and I started playing the Family Wash in Nashville as "Hey Hey Hey". For all of you about to say, "oh yeah, I saw them and they were great".....stop right there. No, you didn't. We knew just about everyone who ever turned up.

(And while we're on the subject, if you did in fact make a show, you should have hit the tip hat harder, but that's another matter altogether. )

Anyway, we had a blast every time we played and it hit the three of us that we were onto a cool vibe. We decided to continue whenever our schedules would allow, which meant about once every 18 months as it turned out. Sometimes it sucks to be busy.

Along the way, I bumped into Jimmy Herring and we had one of those standard "we should get together and do something" talks. That led to Jimmy jamming with the three of us and deciding to play a gig. We booked one in Macon, Ga. a couple of years ago, calling it Trigger Hippy for the first time, and yet again had a great time playing together. Jimmy's schedule made that a glorious one off gig – but the three of us kept thinking about continuing this thing. It seemed we were just a singer away from being something to reckon with. "Just" being a huge word when thinking of singers, of course.

Joan Osborne sprung to our collective minds and it just took a quick phone call to determine that she was nuts enough to consider a trip to Nashville to get together and see what would happen. What happened turned out to be really exciting – so much so that we immediately then set our collective minds on finding the final piece – another guitarist who could play keys as well.

That in turn led to Jackie Greene – another quick phone call led to another quick trip to Nashville and suddenly we had ourselves the band.....complete with yet another great singer. Funny how things work out. Since that time, we've been working on tunes and having a real good time.

So, again, we couldn't be more excited to get these shows going – and thanks for tuning in.

More soon-
SG"

hope you get to see em on tour lucylew! I've always loved watching Jackie play, and he's my main reason for being interested too. I'll keep ya updated if I hear anything newish

darkglow

strongly considering driving up to birmingham next weekend to catch these guys at the workplay.. i am really curious to hear and see what kind of show they put on

EasyRyder

Quote from: darkglow on Jul 24, 2011, 05:32 PM
strongly considering driving up to birmingham next weekend to catch these guys at the workplay.. i am really curious to hear and see what kind of show they put on

I'm flying solo for this one, it'd be great to have a musical like mind to share it with!

I'm massively curious about their "new sound" too. Hopefully with Osborne and Greene we'll get more hard-edged blues/folk and motown influence. So much potential!
________
side note: Feel free to PM me if you decide to come. I don't know if you've been to Workplay, but it is a GREAT sounding, intimate venue (especially since this show is in the theater)...not to mention it has a pretty good bar too  :beer:

darkglow

Quote from: EasyRyder on Jul 24, 2011, 06:13 PM
Quote from: darkglow on Jul 24, 2011, 05:32 PM

I'm flying solo for this one, it'd be great to have a musical like mind to share it with!

I'm massively curious about their "new sound" too. Hopefully with Osborne and Greene we'll get more hard-edged blues/folk and motown influence. So much potential!
________
side note: Feel free to PM me if you decide to come. I don't know if you've been to Workplay, but it is a GREAT sounding, intimate venue (especially since this show is in the theater)...not to mention it has a pretty good bar too  :beer:

i teach 12:30 to 6pm.. if i can find someone to cover me on friday i'll definitely hit you up.. b-ham is approximately a 4 hour drive from here.. never been to the workplay but know that alot of historic performances have went down there

darkglow

G.D.

sorry JP i cant make it up to the workplay on friday night, I have something going on friday afternoon that I can't escape from

i'm sure it will be an awesome show, hope you'unz have a good time

ChiefOKONO

this sounds like a really cool group. i heard of it before but didn't know the full lineup so thank you.  i will check them out whenever they come near here!

EasyRyder

Quote from: darkglow on Jul 27, 2011, 11:15 AM
G.D.

sorry JP i cant make it up to the workplay on friday night, I have something going on friday afternoon that I can't escape from

i'm sure it will be an awesome show, hope you'unz have a good time

Bumrico, dude...I know how it is with those things which are inescapable though- you just can't escape them. Another time then!

I'll be sure to give an obnoxiously detailed review come Friday night  :thumbsup:

And Chief, I'm glad you're checking 'em out! I have my hopes high for this one...and for some more tour dates!

EasyRyder

Ruckus

Thanks for posting as well man!  I've never been a big Crowes guy but I fell in love with Jackie after I saw him at last year's Artscape.  I hope I catch this one way or another.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

EasyRyder

The show last night in Birmingham was great (especially considering this was their 3rd show together). The sound quality was an issue b/c vocals and bass were low, but all in all I'd say they are definitely an act worth seeing. I strategically placed myself in front of Jackie's monitor, so I heard him loud and clear all night- which was the plan  :)

-Jackie Greene (he's the reason I went, and the main reason why I enjoyed the show so much). The guitar tone that he gets is unbelievable, not many guitarists have that shimmering, gritty, ringing sound anymore. I'd comfortably label Jackie as one of the most underrated rhythm and lead guitarists today. He also wailed on the keys.

-Audley Freed. He is an incredible guitarist, and I didn't fully realize that until last night. Him and Jackie went back and forth on every guitar heavy song, and they were both brilliant together.

-Steve Gorman. I really enjoyed watching him listen to Jackie's rhythm playing, and he seemed to drive the band. I've never seen a drummer smile so much either (Patrick excluded, of course!).

-Turpentine, Ohio, Isis, Animal (Jackie tune), Cave Hill Cemetery, Tennessee Mud, and 99lbs. were highlights. The new songs seem like they rly have potential to grow. 

-I was pretty much blown away by the musicianship of Jackie Greene, and I hope y'all get the chance to at least see him someday.

Mediocrities (not necessarily dislikes  ;)):

-Osborne was great on some songs (99 lbs. especially), but her voice was drowned out by the band. I was hoping she'd get grittier, but she still adds some dimension. Without her, the soul/motowny side of the band definitely wouldn't come through as well.

P.S. If you wanna tune in, they're streaming the Nashville show at 10PM Central tonight. They're only going to get better!

http://triggerhippy.net/live-broadcast-of-our-nashville-show-saturday

lucylew

Wow!  Saw them two days ago.   They opened with Turpentine which was phenomenal and it only got better from there.  Animal = mind officially blown.  Seeing Jackie at home is always a treat but he's so damn good I'd travel to see him.

I am now a Joan Osborne fan.  She has some serious pipes.