Why No Florida Love?

Started by Eweezy, Jul 22, 2011, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigChicken

They JUST played Hangout Festival.....do you have a car ? 7 hour drive REALLY isn't that bad my man...
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

DaFunkyPrecedent

You guys have no idea what you're talking about.  Booking a tour is a whole lot more complicated than you think.  For a band preforming at this high of a caliber, you don't just "play" cities.  You play places that will get you, your albums and your concept out there to the world.  You attack certain markets on one tour and then attack others on your next tour.  You go to places with good promoters, radio stations that will back you, venues that can support you technical shit. There is also a hell of a lot of $$$ involved in all of this...not just for the band, but for ATO & Creative Artist's Booking as well.  As much as we would like to think this is "alll love and music", in the end it's also a business.  It's a well oiled machine, a franchise, a product each and everyone of us is buying day in a day out.  Why do you think MMJ never comes to the South West?  Why do you think they never play Hawaii or Alaska? Sure, bands have a say in where they play and I know for a fact MMJ have a lot of artistic say - but shit, Jim James and My Morning Jacket didn't get where there are today without being GREAT business men.  Everything is very well thought out - from the time tickets go on sale, to the day they announce their tour.  Florida is a very interesting live music market - like Colorado or AZ, it's very much a young college state...well, at least when it comes to people purchasing music.  Chicago, NY, SF, LA aren't this way.  Demographics there are vastly different than FL or CO or AZ - which is why you see tons of bands tour through there when school is in session.  Routing a tour in August is like ripping off your finger nails.  It's painful! If you're not playin festivals or MAJOR metropolitan areas...good luck.  Obviously, for a band like MMJ most of this doesn't matter.  And for you to think it as ANYTHING to do with heat is plain and simple stupidity.  It's all $$$ and marketing.  MMJ are playing Festivals this summer - with some in between dates.  Most every other show is a hand picked theatre where they are getting a ton of press on playing these venues.   But because they're doing this run doesn't mean they've forgotten about FL...in fact, they've played there a bunch and have built a very nice little following out there.  They know exactly when the last time they played FL was and they also know if they don't play there sooner than later they'll risk losing some fans to other bands who travel through there more often.  It's all about building a markets and cashing in on those markets.  Very successful bands have TONS of markets they can attack. 
God damn those shaky knees.

bowl of soup

Not so sure about all of that.  Correlating Florida's demographics to a "very young college state" is new to me.  Florida has one really big college town - Gainesville and to a lesser extent, Tallahassee.  The rest of the schools in the state are really communter colleges that lack any real, thriving college community.  USF and UCF are monster schools on paper, but both lack any real college feel and community (apologies to all you Bulls and Knights).

We just don't go to shows, period.  It's not as complicated as you make it.  I'm sure that Jim's multi-level marketing plan for the next ten years includes targeting The Villages and Century Village especially considering that he now hates rock music.  And isn't every rock-music buying demographic skewed somewhat younger?
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Eweezy

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Jul 31, 2011, 03:25 PM
They JUST played Hangout Festival.....do you have a car ? 7 hour drive REALLY isn't that bad my man...

Yeah my man got a car.  Not one as cool as yours that can go from South Florida to Alabama in just 7 hours, man I gotta get me one of those cars with that flux capacitor in it.
Yikes!

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quote from: bowl of soup on Aug 01, 2011, 04:39 PM
Not so sure about all of that.  Correlating Florida's demographics to a "very young college state" is new to me.  Florida has one really big college town - Gainesville and to a lesser extent, Tallahassee.  The rest of the schools in the state are really communter colleges that lack any real, thriving college community.  USF and UCF are monster schools on paper, but both lack any real college feel and community (apologies to all you Bulls and Knights).

We just don't go to shows, period.  It's not as complicated as you make it.  I'm sure that Jim's multi-level marketing plan for the next ten years includes targeting The Villages and Century Village especially considering that he now hates rock music.  And isn't every rock-music buying demographic skewed somewhat younger?

You're right, it's not ALL about "college" town shit...but My Morning Jacket sure as hell aint playin' to 40+ only crowds now are they? And yes, more rock buying demographics are skewed to younger crowds, which is why a lot of bands want to tour Fort Collins, Tucson, Flordia, Omaha etc from fall -> spring.  Not only do you sell more tickets, but you also make more impressionable fans.  And it IS as complicated as I make it...it's what I do for a living. 
God damn those shaky knees.

rincon

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on Aug 02, 2011, 05:24 AM

You're right, it's not ALL about "college" town shit...but My Morning Jacket sure as hell aint playin' to 40+ only crowds now are they? And yes, more rock buying demographics are skewed to younger crowds, which is why a lot of bands want to tour Fort Collins, Tucson, Flordia, Omaha etc from fall -> spring.  Not only do you sell more tickets, but you also make more impressionable fans.  And it IS as complicated as I make it...it's what I do for a living.
The Pantages and Santa Barbara Bowl were more over 40 than under 40, or so it appeared. I saw lots of what I would call geezers, meaning significantly older than me, and I'm 50.

vespachick

Quote from: rincon on Aug 02, 2011, 11:32 AM
Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on Aug 02, 2011, 05:24 AM

The Pantages and Santa Barbara Bowl were more over 40 than under 40, or so it appeared. I saw lots of what I would call geezers, meaning significantly older than me, and I'm 50.

I'm not even a party to this convo, BUT, at the Edgefield show the first 50 or so people in line early were all at least as old as me and I'm 43.  Once in the show, plenty of younger folks showed up but it were us oldies that were on line early! :beer:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Eweezy

Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The boys are coming to Boca Raton! :thumbsup:
Yikes!

e_wind

I meant to try to find this thread, but forgot to. enjoy it my friend

this really proves that jacket loves their fans. people from all over the southern half of the country were un happy with the initial tour, but from May 31st to December 14th they have hit pretty much every part of the country AND canada AND western europe.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Eweezy

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 19, 2011, 06:35 PM
I meant to try to find this thread, but forgot to. enjoy it my friend

this really proves that jacket loves their fans. people from all over the southern half of the country were un happy with the initial tour, but from May 31st to December 14th they have hit pretty much every part of the country AND canada AND western europe.

Thanks buddy, I had faith the whole time.  I feel the love...good things come to those who wait.
Yikes!