Best Guitar solos/craziest jams live

Started by ChronicHunger, Jul 22, 2011, 11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChronicHunger

I Figure there are quite a few of us who frequent archive.org and listen to a lot of shows. So I figured we could share some of the best live show finds.

Dondante, Philly: Festival Pier 2008. Crazy jam starts at 7:40. Best guitar Ive ever heard Jim play starts at 8:23, of course before that he kills it, but he hits a new level at 8:40. Enjoy :beer:
http://www.archive.org/details /mmj2008-09-05.fm_sbd.flac16

johnnYYac

Quote from: ChronicHunger on Jul 22, 2011, 11:26 PM
I Figure there are quite a few of us who frequent archive.org and listen to a lot of shows. So I figured we could share some of the best live show finds.

Dondante, Philly: Festival Pier 2008. Crazy jam starts at 7:40. Best guitar Ive ever heard Jim play starts at 8:23, of course before that he kills it, but he hits a new level at 8:40. Enjoy :beer:
http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2008-09-05.fm_sbd.flac16
^   ^    Fixed the link.   :thumbsup:    ^   ^

Listening... great fucking recording! 

d-_-b    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rmpotsy

jims solo during tyrone at the palace (unstaged) this year was unreal.  ive never seen him play like that before.
out go the lights it begins

e_wind

Quote from: rmpotsy on Jul 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
jims solo during tyrone at the palace (unstaged) this year was unreal.  ive never seen him play like that before.

i agree with this. probably the single best live song I've ever seen because of the way he broke it down
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ChronicHunger

Yea that was incredible, on his knees meltin faces

e_wind

Quote from: ChronicHunger on Jul 25, 2011, 01:45 PM

I wish there was a gif of him on his knees "playing to" Badu. His face was basically in her panties

BigHerm

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 25, 2011, 03:18 PM

I wish there was a gif of him on his knees "playing to" Badu. His face was basically in her panties

woodnymph

Quote from: BigHerm on Jul 25, 2011, 04:28 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

e_wind

ChronicHunger

Hahahah, thats so awesome!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

BIGVICLBI

I watch the youtube video of tyrone unstaged three times a day. I'm pretty sure he impregnated her with his guitar. Eight months from now expect some supernatural events.........Best jam I ever heard was lalapoolooza in Chicago the year they went on before Pearl Jam. The huge Pearl Jam crowd was slowly getting into MMJ and then they went ape $hit during Run Thru. Best energy I've ever seen at one of their concerts. It was like a mass awakening, you could hear people saying Holy $hit!! multiple times.

darkglow

the audience recording and the overall sound of the 2005 Randolph Street Fest in Chi-town is shit.. but I remember rocking out to this rendition of a heavily improvised and high energy "lay low"... this show was a few months before Z was released and we were starting to hear new songs from upcoming album on that small summer tour.. also catch the banter about the "sound check" after finishing lay low.. i still to this day believe it was heavily coated with sarcasm since it sounds like the sound engineering at the beginning of the set was full of mistakes and accidental type stuff..

this recording has a really organic and "real" feel to it.. you can hear the annoying people talking in the background (or would it be foreground) and i like to actually hear those things as long as they are at an acceptable level.. hell my favorite MMJ live recording is from the 2003 headliners show and there's a lot of annoying beer bottle clinking noises and stuff going on in the background... those kind of things make you feel like you are actually there.. which i think is good on the occasion.

http://www.archive.org/download/http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2005-06-18

davymac

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 25, 2011, 04:30 PM
Quote from: BigHerm on Jul 25, 2011, 04:28 PM

haha well done

Nicholas Yames

War Begun. Canal Club 1.24.04... My favorite recording of my favorite song, they jam so hard. Also, the Phone Went West they have been playing this year is pretty awesome, but the PWW from their Re:Live (is that what it's callled? the one on iTunes) is amazing as well.
and if all else fails, i'll come running back, wonderin where you went
with my heart.

DaFunkyPrecedent

There's some old school version of Phone Went West...like an 11 min version...the song never fuckin ends! They closed the set with it.   I wanna say it's at the Palacade? I know that's not right...someone correct me please. I know it's a "famous" version.
God damn those shaky knees.

rmpotsy

Quote from: darkglow on Jul 28, 2011, 03:21 AM
hell my favorite MMJ live recording is from the 2003 headliners show and there's a lot of annoying beer bottle clinking noises and stuff going on in the background...

which headliners from 2003?  from the sept two night run?  which night?  do you know where i can get either or both of these shows?  that was one of the better musical weekends of my life and probably what really cemented me as a life long fan, and by fan i mean fanatic.

if i could relive those two shows groundhog day style; i would never kiss andie mcdowell.

johnnYYac

Quote from: rmpotsy on Jul 29, 2011, 09:14 AM
hell my favorite MMJ live recording is from the 2003 headliners show and there's a lot of annoying beer bottle clinking noises and stuff going on in the background...

which headliners from 2003?  from the sept two night run?  which night?  do you know where i can get either or both of these shows?  that was one of the better musical weekends of my life and probably what really cemented me as a life long fan, and by fan i mean fanatic.

if i could relive those two shows groundhog day style; i would never kiss andie mcdowell.

2003-09-26 Headliners Music Hall - Louisville, KY

1. Mahgeetah
2. Dancefloors
3. Masterplan
4. Heartbreakin Man
5. The Way That He Sings
6. Just One Thing
7. Lowdown
8. X-mas Curtain
9. One Big Holiday
10. I Will Sing You Songs
11. Steam Engine
12. Run Thru
----------
13. I Still Miss Someone (Johnny Cash) (Jim James solo)
14. Bermuda Highway (Jim James solo)
15. Strangulation (Jim James solo)
16. Golden (Jim James solo)
17. Sooner
18. Evelyn Is Not Real
19. Easy Morning Rebel
20. Phone Went West

2003-09-27 Headliners Music Hall - Louisville, KY

1. Heartbreakin Man
2. The Way That He Sings
3. The Dark
4. Lowdown
5. Mahgeetah
6. Dancefloors
7. Masterplan
8. Picture Of You
9. Old September Blues
10. Just One Thing
11. The Bear
12. Just Because I Do
13. One Big Holiday
14. I Will Sing You Songs
15. Steam Engine
16. Phone Went West
----------
17. By My Car (Jim James solo)
18. Time Of The Season (The Zombies) (Jim James solo)
19. Golden (Jim James solo)
20. O Is The One That Is Real
21. War Begun
22. It's About Twilight Now
23. Run Thru

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rmpotsy

well thanks so much, but i was just coming back to edit that post.  instead of relying on someone else, i went out and searched... both are dl'ing now.  i cannot believe ive never searched for those two shows.  such a paramount weekend in the history of MMJ.

kydiddle

Lucky you. But seriously...you wouldn't kiss Andie McDowell? Really? I'd kiss Bill Murray.

Too early for flapjacks?

Those recordings are amazing and I can't believe they didn't make it onto my new iPod. Thanks for the reminder folks. :-D
Cow temperature.

rmpotsy

Quote from: kydiddle on Jul 29, 2011, 09:58 AM

Lucky you. But seriously...you wouldn't kiss Andie McDowell? Really? I'd kiss Bill Murray.

Too early for flapjacks?

Those recordings are amazing and I can't believe they didn't make it onto my new iPod. Thanks for the reminder folks. :-D

id totally kiss andie mcdowell, just not if it meant i would have to leave the groundhog days of 9-26/27-2003.

i would definitely punch the ever loving s#it out of ned though.