Inventor of Album Cover Artwork Passes Away at 94

Started by woodnymph, Jul 24, 2011, 01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

http://www.spinner.com/2011/07/20/alex-steinweiss-album-cover-dies/

Sad, but so interesting!  I never read or heard much about how album artwork really began.....
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.spinner.com/2011/07/20/alex-steinweiss-album-cover-dies/

Sad, but so interesting!  I never read or heard much about how album artwork really began.....

I hope I live to 94.  R.I.P.

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

foomex

Nice indeed. He could easily be one of my heros. :D
RIP

woodnymph

I thought it was pretty awesome!   :)  So crazy to see how far cover art has come...........

headhunter

i agree completely.  i read his obit in the nyt a little while back and as a big fan of vinyl and album art i read it with a healthy glow of admiration for an art form that is the best yet invented face for the music and an artist's work.   it's the genesis of great musical images like that of dark of the moon.

just seeing the album cover of a favorite record is enough to make me smile.

a big contributor to my love of music.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

woodnymph

Quote from: headhunter on Jul 27, 2011, 09:30 PM
i agree completely.  i read his obit in the nyt a little while back and as a big fan of vinyl and album art i read it with a healthy glow of admiration for an art form that is the best yet invented face for the music and an artist's work.   it's the genesis of great musical images like that of dark of the moon.

just seeing the album cover of a favorite record is enough to make me smile.

a big contributor to my love of music.

I thought of you when I read about it, Jeff!  Figured you'd appreciate the little history bit about the beginnings.  I thought of your collection and all the awesome art that you've got from having such a selection, mostly thanks to this man!  (Maybe one day I'll catch a glimpse of your Library!)

My friend Kara and I talk about seeing our favorite covers and getting the different feelings just from seeing them!  I'll always remember my mom's Joni Mitchell album "Blue" and Mr. Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" laying around the house when I was little...  and how strange it was to venture away from that classic music  (I'd gone through a slight phase of not wanting to like anything my parents liked?)  And how interesting it was coming back around and how dear these albums are to me now!  (Even that lame phase had to pass  ;) )

The world may be awfully boring without such art!!!