Walking out of a show early

Started by Tracy 2112, Jul 28, 2011, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jul 28, 2011, 01:04 PM
I've never left early because of how bad a show was. I left Dr. Dog early once too because it was a really late show and my friend I was with had to get up early for work. Since then I got to see them again in entirety. I left Dave Matthews Band during the encore so I could avoid some traffic, I had just seen Phish 2 days before and the traffic was horrendous on the way down and back and I was thoroughly worn out.
Woody, I was at a DSO show in Feb of 2007 at Smalls, maybe that was the show?

I was at the DMB/Phish crazy weekend at Starlake too!  I camped at Bennett Acres the whole weekend though and walked to and from the shows which was nice to avoid traffic (which was indeed vicious!!!)

Well, I thought I lightened up on the mind-altering substances before 07.... hmmm... I'll have to look into that somehow, now I'm not sure!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 28, 2011, 10:42 AM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
Deer Tick (Sorry Ruckus). Just awful. Inane rambling banter, 2 full songs and a butchered version of a blues song for some guy that died earlier that day....all within the span of almost an hour.

;D This is the 22nd different version of this story you've posted.  The only thing they have in common is that they sucked.
version hasn't changed, just more details. It really was awful and I didn't feel so bad leaving as several other people did too. I would be willing to try them again if they actually play songs at there shows. I do enjoy the albums.

woodnymph

This is proving to be quite a koan....  If I have it right though, I may have been thinking of the December 16 2005 show at Small's.....  Yes, that is the one.  Because I then saw Ween in Charlottesville, and looking up videos of that show on youtube proves to me that was on April  13, 2006.  It was at that Ween show that my new direction in recreation (or non-recreation) was decided  :)

I didn't by any means walk out of the Ween show (though I DEFINITELY meandered away from many stages during both sets.....)  ???

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 28, 2011, 01:08 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jul 28, 2011, 01:04 PM
I've never left early because of how bad a show was. I left Dr. Dog early once too because it was a really late show and my friend I was with had to get up early for work. Since then I got to see them again in entirety. I left Dave Matthews Band during the encore so I could avoid some traffic, I had just seen Phish 2 days before and the traffic was horrendous on the way down and back and I was thoroughly worn out.
Woody, I was at a DSO show in Feb of 2007 at Smalls, maybe that was the show?

I was at the DMB/Phish crazy weekend at Starlake too!  I camped at Bennett Acres the whole weekend though and walked to and from the shows which was nice to avoid traffic (which was indeed vicious!!!)

Well, I thought I lightened up on the mind-altering substances before 07.... hmmm... I'll have to look into that somehow, now I'm not sure!

Star lake traffic can be the worst sometimes! I think it took us like 3 hours to get there for Phish, on days where there isn't much traffic i think it takes not even an hour. If I recall correctly I skipped the friday DMB show the day after Phish and came back for the saturday show. I've never camped out down there. I was pissed that I paid like 90 bucks for my Phish ticket through some website and when I got down there there was so many extra tickets people were  giving them away. Scalpers really fucked that show up hard. I don't have much desire for Star Lake shows anymore now that Stage AE is open.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 28, 2011, 01:23 PM
This is proving to be quite a koan....  If I have it right though, I may have been thinking of the December 16 2005 show at Small's.....  Yes, that is the one.  Because I then saw Ween in Charlottesville, and looking up videos of that show on youtube proves to me that was on April  13, 2006.  It was at that Ween show that my new direction in recreation (or non-recreation) was decided  :)

I didn't by any means walk out of the Ween show (though I DEFINITELY meandered away from many stages during both sets.....)  ???

That's why I save all my ticket stubs, it helps to conjure up memories of past shows.

woodnymph

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jul 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
That's why I save all my ticket stubs, it helps to conjure up memories of past shows.

Wait wait!  I have all of my stubs!!  .....but the only order they are in is whichever order I've tossed them into my stub box under my bed back home.  I didn't bring 'em all down to NC with me cause I didn't wanna risk losing 'em, but I've got a whole rubbermaid box full of 'em back home!!  I know when I open it though, it's just piled with wrist bands from fests, ticket stubs, little show fliers/handouts, and fest programs saying which bands are on which days, etc, etc..... I'd love to get them into an orderly book someday though!........

rincon

Steely Dan in 93. Lounge versions of their songs. Also Fagans face was always on a big screen, and it was hard to look at.

bowl of soup

I left Pink Floyd early because God told me that it was time to leave.  Really -  the person in front of me turned into God (flowing grey hair, full beard and mustache, silkin robe, septer, 12 feet tall), informed that the rain was not going to end, and that if I knew what was good for me, I would leave.  My friend and I listened to God and paid a taxi driver $100 to rescue us from the wrath of God.

I went to a Nirvana show fully intending to leave early because I was there to see the Breeders, the show was in New Orleans, and I was SOOOOO cool like that.  Ended up staying because, well they were fucking great.  Ended up being one of their last shows.

I left a J. Geils band show early.  I was there to see this little up and coming diddy opening act called U2.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 28, 2011, 01:40 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jul 28, 2011, 01:27 PM

Wait wait!  I have all of my stubs!!  .....but the only order they are in is whichever order I've tossed them into my stub box under my bed back home.  I didn't bring 'em all down to NC with me cause I didn't wanna risk losing 'em, but I've got a whole rubbermaid box full of 'em back home!!  I know when I open it though, it's just piled with wrist bands from fests, ticket stubs, little show fliers/handouts, and fest programs saying which bands are on which days, etc, etc..... I'd love to get them into an orderly book someday though!........

Ok, Ok, I believe you.  ;) No need to bring them with you if you're in Asheville temporarily, was just making a point of one of the reasons I keep them. I like to keep flyers and other memorabilia from shows too. One of these days I'd like to do something creative with all my tickets, like stick them to a table and lay glass over them, or make a poster or something.

BH

I never leave early.   But that's just because I'm already drunk and I need time to sober up.   Plus any show is better than no show.  (Most of the time.) 

I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie theatre either.   Even when it sucks I always believe it's going to get better.

Oh, I just remembered I left Joe Pug early, but that was because I was so blown away by Strand of Oaks that I couldn't even listen to anything else.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

foomex

I once got free tix to last years tour of Faith No More.
I was a poseur knowing only "Epic" and "I Started a Joke"... they blew us away (went with another friend) and Patton is seriously derranged in a good way.

We left because this guy was like "meh they're ok but we won't be missing anything, can we go?" and he had the car so we just left 3/4ths in.

EDIT: I'm planning on unleaving Neko Case... maybe arrive a little late, maybe.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: foomex on Jul 28, 2011, 05:53 PM

Do yourself a favor, catch all of Neko's show.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

foomex

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 28, 2011, 05:57 PM

Never heard anything of her. I'll try to arrive early then, well at least ON TIME.

nuggets

Walked out of REM in New Haven in '86? '87? Not sure. I like 'em, but thought they were horrible live at the time.
Every GD show that they encored with I Fought The Law, I bolted. Horrible cover of a good song. As an encore? Hell no!
Walked out of many Phish shows in the late 80's. Got dragged to a bunch of shows by my gf at the time. They played Contact a lot then, which in my opinion may go down as one of the worst tunes EVAH! Eventually we went are separate ways. Her to Phish. Me to Blues Traveler. Traveler went downhill imo when they Bobby passed.
So thankful that MMJ came along. First new rock band since Traveler that really grabbed me.
Oh shit, run!

mjk73

Quote from: foomex on Jul 28, 2011, 06:48 PM

Never heard anything of her. I'll try to arrive early then, well at least ON TIME.
NEVER miss Neko. Ever. Evereverever miss Neko.

foomex

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 28, 2011, 07:44 PM

Sorry, but I'll have a hard time accepting advice from Mr-I-Left-A-Foo-Show... I didn't commented on that because I was SHOCKED and didn't want to throw a fan-obsession-fit.
:P
I'll make sure I get to see her ok?

mjk73

Quote from: foomex on Jul 28, 2011, 08:05 PM

Sorry, but I'll have a hard time accepting advice from Mr-I-Left-A-Foo-Show... I didn't commented on that because I was SHOCKED and didn't want to throw a fan-obsession-fit.
Do that. You won't regret it.

Jon T.

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 28, 2011, 08:20 PM

What is about her shows that make them great? I've given her a few tries over the years and I've just never really gotten into her. 

Penny Lane

recently completely converted FF fan, I'd go to more shows if they didn't play big shows...i'll never miss a festival set again...incredible. Also, i head that acoustic BIG ME version the other day and it was beautiful (sorry tbd--!)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 28, 2011, 08:20 PM

What is about her shows that make them great? I've given her a few tries over the years and I've just never really gotten into her.
Her voice is incredible and her backing band is tight. That voice... :o