Letterman tonight!

Started by rusty95, May 26, 2010, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Ya know, I watched the performance 4 consecutive times last night and it seemed as if the guitars fell off rhythm a couple of times and I could care less.  It was simply beautiful.

As for Don Rickles, he has always been and always will be my favorite comedian of all time.  The man cracks me up every time and he never pulls punches.  Love it.

I traditionally despise late night TV because I don't care about rich celebrities interviewing rich celebrities about nothing but last night's Letterman...I could watch over and over. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ALady

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but perhaps he has to use the Yim thing for his solo stuff for legal reasons.  
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

QuoteI'm sure this has been covered here before, but perhaps he has to use the Yim thing for his solo stuff for legal reasons.  

but why?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I noticed that in his signature, the J's look like Y's, and I think that's the joke.  His "Jim James" signature LOOKS LIKE "Yim Yames", so he's having fun with something someone probably pointed out or misunderstood.  That's my theory on its origin.  It also provides an alter ego to Jim James- frontman for My Morning Jacket.  I think it just speaks to his sense of humor and I don't think he minds if folks don't take him too seriously.  Hell, he was wearing toy guns on his hips this spring on tour!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ALady

QuoteI'm sure this has been covered here before, but perhaps he has to use the Yim thing for his solo stuff for legal reasons.  

but why?

It might be a contractual thing.  If I can find it, there's a good article about why Dylan, Petty, Orbison, Harrison & Lynne used pseudonyms for the Wilburys project.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

rusty95

QuoteThis may have been discussed elsewhere, but I noticed that in his signature, the J's look like Y's, and I think that's the joke.  His "Jim James" signature LOOKS LIKE "Yim Yames", so he's having fun with something someone probably pointed out or misunderstood.  That's my theory on its origin.  It also provides an alter ego to Jim James- frontman for My Morning Jacket.  I think it just speaks to his sense of humor and I don't think he minds if folks don't take him too seriously.  Hell, he was wearing toy guns on his hips this spring on tour!

Funny, kind of like Slim Shady and Marshall Mathers!
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

aMillionDreams

The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

SaraBananaBear

Quote*sigh* it was so very lovely  :)

RyanC - i was thinking the same thing, prine was diggin it!

and thanks saraBB for posting the link so i can watch it again

edit: did anyone else see that cbs news anchor totally butcher yim's name?  she was laughing (guess she thinks it's a silly name, can't understand why  ;)) & called him "yim yams".  but as the show was wrapping up you could hear the male anchor say something like, "it's yim YAMES" before the sound cut out.  hahaha

Anytime!  :)

And about the Yim Yames thingy, quote from the man himself (August 2009):

"I consider the Yim Yames moniker the same as Jim James, but I feel like it's just a little bit funnier and a little bit weirder, but it can still be pronounced Jim James if someone wants to call me that. I just feel like it's a little more unforgettable.

And then somebody saw that there's a guy who, like, plays acoustic covers in bars in North Carolina or somewhere and was going by the name Jim James. So I was, like ... I'm just gonna change it to Yim Yames. (laughs) I hope to God nobody else out there has it. I Googled it, and didn't find anybody else named Yim Yames."
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

JRO91

It was an excellent performance!  

johnnYYac

iLikeBeer

QuoteTHAT. WAS. BEAUTIFUL!

That sums it up pretty nicely for me as well!   :)

Thanks again Sara for posting the link!

FiddleCastro

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

BH

just awesome.  gorgeous.  beautiful.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

ChiefOKONO

Thank you that was freakin SWEEEET!!!!

SaraBananaBear

It's pretty early here in Sweden, so I'm not quite awake, but I'm amazed! (puts on music to match, I'm amaaaazed!) First I was like, what is this, oh my name is in the title, cool, oh wait, it's in the text as well... oooh... ;) I think I might have to print it, frame it and make everyone I know come look at it, while I stand next to them saying: It's about me, can you believe it? And after they've looked I'll probably have to repeat: No, I didn't edit a newspaper article to put my own name in, no someone else did, why won't you believe me!?

No, but really, you're one of the first that talked to me on the forum and made me feel welcome and you're always so friendly and helpful! And funny too! I really appreciate it, thank you so much! :)

SaraBananaBear

QuoteIt was an excellent performance!  

Indeed, I really liked it too  :)

DaFunkyPrecedent

i love the sound of both of their voices together. You have the young, fresh, blossoming voice of Yim, and the tired, mature, wise and lived in voice of Prine.  It was just a perfect combination for such a timeless song.   :)
God damn those shaky knees.

johnnYYac

It's pretty early here in Sweden, so I'm not quite awake, but I'm amazed! (puts on music to match, I'm amaaaazed!) First I was like, what is this, oh my name is in the title, cool, oh wait, it's in the text as well... oooh... ;) I think I might have to print it, frame it and make everyone I know come look at it, while I stand next to them saying: It's about me, can you believe it? And after they've looked I'll probably have to repeat: No, I didn't edit a newspaper article to put my own name in, no someone else did, why won't you believe me!?

No, but really, you're one of the first that talked to me on the forum and made me feel welcome and you're always so friendly and helpful! And funny too! I really appreciate it, thank you so much! :)

Thanks, Sara.  Glad you liked the newspaper article  ;)

If the Jacket organization every decides to hire an archivist, like the Grateful Dead did, you should apply.  Like me, if you don't know the answer to something, you go find it.  Unlike me, you find the answer and I just make shit up that sounds like it could be right (and often is).  

BTW, all I did was type "make your own headline" into Google or Bing, clicked the first site that came up.  Let's see, here it is:

http://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp