Letterman tonight!

Started by rusty95, May 26, 2010, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

QuoteThis may have been discussed elsewhere, but I noticed that in his signature, the J's look like Y's, and I think that's the joke.  His "Jim James" signature LOOKS LIKE "Yim Yames", so he's having fun with something someone probably pointed out or misunderstood.  That's my theory on its origin.  It also provides an alter ego to Jim James- frontman for My Morning Jacket.  I think it just speaks to his sense of humor and I don't think he minds if folks don't take him too seriously.  Hell, he was wearing toy guns on his hips this spring on tour!

But that's not how his signature usually looks...

I mean, the Yim mythology is fun and all...but I'm sure there's a very boring and practical reason behind the name, too.   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ynwa

i thought similarly to johnnYY, not in that his signature looks like "yim yames" but pretty much everything else he mentioned.  that's what my uneducated guess was.  it just seemed like jim being the goofy guy he is.  but there looks to be a bit more to it than that, according to saraBB's find.

my thoughts on people being put off by the name is that if they want to let something as incosequential as a "weird name" stop them from checking out the music - it's their loss.  too bad for them but that's what you get for being closed-minded  :P  
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

johnnYYac

QuoteThis may have been discussed elsewhere, but I noticed that in his signature, the J's look like Y's, and I think that's the joke.  His "Jim James" signature LOOKS LIKE "Yim Yames", so he's having fun with something someone probably pointed out or misunderstood.  That's my theory on its origin.  It also provides an alter ego to Jim James- frontman for My Morning Jacket.  I think it just speaks to his sense of humor and I don't think he minds if folks don't take him too seriously.  Hell, he was wearing toy guns on his hips this spring on tour!

[highlight]But that's not how his signature usually looks[/highlight]...

I mean, the Yim mythology is fun and all...but I'm sure there's a very boring and practical reason behind the name, too.   ;D

Soon after I posted the cover of "Tribute To" I realized  the same thing.  Still, somewhere, I thought I'd read that he once signed his name such that someone said it looked like "Yim Yames" and that's the origin of the name.  I can't find it and agree that his most well-known "Jim James" signature is the one ALady posted.  

I have to imagine that Jim/Yim is laughing his ass off if he sees the space devoted to this.  ;D  Mission accomplished.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

FiddleCastro

my thoughts on people being put off by the name is that if they want to let something as incosequential as a "weird name" stop them from checking out the music - it's their loss.  too bad for them but that's what you get for being closed-minded  :P  

Well said.

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

ynwa

Well said.

;D ;D ;D i'm @ work & have no speakers but i just about snorted my water.  that guy is INTENSE
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

capt. scotty

Well said.

terrible movie
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

I have to imagine that Jim/Yim is laughing his ass off if he sees the space devoted to this.  ;D  Mission accomplished.

Heh.  Isn't that the truth?   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

FiddleCastro

Well said.

terrible movie

Effective animation!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

AMightyCaporal

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

weeniebeenie

I taped it. So, so, so, so, so, so, awesome!!!!!
How loud can silence get?