Cheap poster frames?

Started by itrainmonkeys, Jul 18, 2011, 12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Quote from: oistheone on Jul 26, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm seriously considering picking one of these up --- forty extra bucks to ship one of those bad ass portfolios to Canada, but I'm betting that it's worth it to prevent permanent damage to my prints from tube storage.
Damn.  No Canadian version of Amazon?  Actually,  I guess it ships from Adorama Camera.  Still, there must be art supply retailers or camera shops near you that might carry it or could order it for you, save paying double to have it shipped.  I checked online with no luck, however.  Even amazon.ca was bust.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

oistheone

Yep, being in Canada blows in that regard. Most of the good shit on Amazon.com doesn't ship here, and it seems all you can get on Amazon.ca is books, video games and DVDs.

Good thought on checking at an art store though. The search begins!

Jahmazed

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 26, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'm no expert, but it seems most folks regard storing these prints flat the best way to go.

With advice from forum poster gurus, I purchased this 18 x 24 portfolio, so all of my unframed prints are flat.

http://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Profolio-Evolution-Storage-Display/dp/B000H7N4H2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1311707483&sr=8-8

Hey Johhny, I was looking at one of those but I was wondering if it will only fit posters exactly 18x24?  I'm pretty sure I have a few posters that are slightly bigger like 19 or 25 inches.  How tight is the fit on a page for a poster? Is there any room for slightly oversized prints?  thanks

Ghosts_on_TV

I get my frames from Micheals, they are metal and usually on sale for like $15.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

johnnYYac

Quote from: Jahmazed on Jul 28, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'm no expert, but it seems most folks regard storing these prints flat the best way to go.

With advice from forum poster gurus, I purchased this 18 x 24 portfolio, so all of my unframed prints are flat.

http://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Profolio-Evolution-Storage-Display/dp/B000H7N4H2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1311707483&sr=8-8

Hey Johhny, I was looking at one of those but I was wondering if it will only fit posters exactly 18x24?  I'm pretty sure I have a few posters that are slightly bigger like 19 or 25 inches.  How tight is the fit on a page for a poster? Is there any room for slightly oversized prints?  thanks
I hear ya, Matt (real names okay, I hope).  :)

It holds a "standard" 18 x 24 print perfectly, no room for bigger prints. 

Funny, for anything larger I tend to get frames for those sooner since they don't fit the portfolio.  These tend to be prints that are valuable to me but not "valuable" on the market.  For those, I order plastic frames through Amazon from Craig Frames Inc.  That's what I did for these three (the frame for the Nashville print on the floor is in transit).

I did something pretty stupid recently, though.  I was frustrated with the size of the screen print from Portland, especially with all the excess white space around the border.  I tried trimming the edges to fit a standard 18 x 24 frame with disastrous results.  I would never do that to most any other poster, but don't feel as bad about this one.  I've got a band-signed version of the give-away litho and the Mad Pixel print, too.  Still... :-\ 

EDIT - not 5 minutes after this post, the frame for the Nashville print arrived.  Aside from shipping costs, these are really pretty decent CHEAP frames. 

e_wind

trimming it probably would work in one of those giant paper cutters that are in schools...
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
trimming it probably would work in one of those giant paper cutters that are in schools...
Yeah, and I'm a fucking teacher!  I tried it free hand and screwed it up.  This has me thinking... I need to revisit the trimming, make it more even, and just go to a smaller frame. 

The image of this poster on Expresso Beans (click the image) does not show all of the unused white border, which is deceptive.  Next to it is my current disaster.

BigHerm

Which Nashville poster is that? Municipal Auditorium? Link?  :thumbsup:

e_wind

yes sir, done by Burlesque of North America

http://burlesquedesign.com/store.htm

the store is annoying, you just gotta scroll down til you find it
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Jahmazed

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 28, 2011, 09:44 AM
Quote from: Jahmazed on Jul 28, 2011, 09:18 AM

I hear ya, Matt (real names okay, I hope).  :)

It holds a "standard" 18 x 24 print perfectly, no room for bigger prints. 

Funny, for anything larger I tend to get frames for those sooner since they don't fit the portfolio.  These tend to be prints that are valuable to me but not "valuable" on the market.  For those, I order plastic frames through Amazon from Craig Frames Inc.  That's what I did for these three (the frame for the Nashville print on the floor is in transit).

I did something pretty stupid recently, though.  I was frustrated with the size of the screen print from Portland, especially with all the excess white space around the border.  I tried trimming the edges to fit a standard 18 x 24 frame with disastrous results.  I would never do that to most any other poster, but don't feel as bad about this one.  I've got a band-signed version of the give-away litho and the Mad Pixel print, too.  Still... :-\ 

EDIT - not 5 minutes after this post, the frame for the Nashville print arrived.  Aside from shipping costs, these are really pretty decent CHEAP frames. 

Thanks Johhny, If you really messed it up that Portland poster there are still some available I just ordered that same poster this week!  Great memories, can't wait for Boston!

subinai

was able to score a itoya portfolio at the art supply store near my office for $30. put all of my posters in the portfolio. it was touuugghhhh because some of these posters have been sitting in a tube for about 8 months. i never opened the tube from burwell when i ordered the at dawn and NYE poster. pleasantly surprised to find a RCMH test print on the tissue/news paper. stoked to get some 2011 posters in there now. :) :) :) :)

oistheone

I also got my hands on one of these Itoya portfolios -- sure beats tubes! Now I can actually look at the posters I haven't framed. However, after being rolled for months, the posters still have some "curl" going on, even now that they are in the portfolio. I have tried putting the portfolio under my mattress for the last week to flatten em out, but still haven't had any luck. Anyone have any ideas?