First Listen: Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks, 'Mirror Traffic'

Started by Tracy 2112, Aug 15, 2011, 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

I like the album, but none of hte tracks specifically stand out to me. Not like the last album. In other words, I need to play it all at once or not at all
I'm surrounded by assholes

bold992006

Yeah i've listened to this a few times...not a huge fan.  Not terrible but nothing really grabs me.

capt. scotty

thought it was funny on Fallon last night that he changed "blowjob" in Senator to "snowjob"
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

i love it...especially Brain Gallop, All over Gently, and Georgeous Georgie...
Malkmus albums always take a bunch of listens for me..such a good lyrcist

(chode--weird because i've loved all his albums except his last...have you heard Pig Lib and Face the Truth?)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

Pig Lib's his best, IMO. I do have a tendency to stick with a band's first album that I hear as my favorite though, unless a latter really blows me away.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

sweatboard

Brain Gallop is where it's at!

This record is smooth like cough syrup. 
There's Still Time.........

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 31, 2011, 04:33 PM

(chode--weird because i've loved all his albums except his last...have you heard Pig Lib and Face the Truth?)

You don't like real emotional trash? I love that album.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ALady

Me too.

I dig the new record.  It's a little mellow, but I dig it.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

el_chode

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 31, 2011, 04:33 PM

That's the thing, I've loved all his other albums, but the songs were almost all hook and no flow. This, on the other hand, is almost no hook and all flow if that makes sense. None of the songs made me stop to say "oh hey, what is the name of this one?" but it did make me stop and say, "did he just say blowjob in the chorus?"

*Edit: when I say "all hook", I did not mean that as a pun
I'm surrounded by assholes

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I dig.  I wish it was a little bit more jammy at times tho.  emotional trash was better.