Main Menu

Forum Album Club

Started by wolof7, Aug 22, 2011, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Anyone interested in doing a scheduled listening party/ critque of specific albums a la a book club? Has this been done here before? Always wanted to do this but never had cool enough friends to agree to do it in person.

I am open to many ideas regarding how to set this up....Here's what I was thinking, 1x every 1-2 weeks at a specific time we could all listen to an identified album and discuss/critique/Freak&Geek out together over anything from tracklist, album art, music, lyrics anything to do with artist/abum....I'd most likely setup a new topic thread for each week. (e.g. Album Club #1 - Album/Band/courtesy of board member name here)

The only way I'd assume this could work would be if we had enough peeps participating week to week, so any ideas regarding how to keep it going would be good. Also have no idea how we would pick albums week to week aside from taking a list of participants and assigning them a week to choose an album of their choosing.....

Grooveshark, spotify, local library consortiums, itunes, local record shops to obtain albums you may not possess.

Whatdyall think? I imagine it could be pretty easy but I wouldn't set it up unless people are certainly down for it.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

ALady

I would be into that.  I like geekin' out.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

mjk73

sweatboard

I'd love to do this.  great idea
There's Still Time.........

Ruckus

whatever album we choose, alady has already heard it ::)
I'd be down for sure.  Excellent idea.  Surprised something like that hadn't sprouted here yet.

Random number generator always a good way to choose.

Even if we are unable to listen at the same time, it will still be nice to have a new active thread on a new album every week or two
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MarkW

Great idea wolof!  Bring it on.  :thumbsup:
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

wolof7

Cool I will generate a list....I say once we hit 7-10 or so I will attempt to schedule the first forum album club!

1) Wolof
2) Alady
3) mjk73
4) sweatboard
5) Ruckus
6) MarkW

good idea w/ the random number generator Ruckus!

iLikeBeer

I'm down for this!   :beer:

ophidiophobia

I'm game for doing this :thumbsup:

EasyRyder

I'll join in too! I'm not savvy with Spotify or Grooveshark though, but I'll do my best for God and Forum.

Sweet idea, Wolof
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

wolof7

Quote from: EasyRyder on Aug 23, 2011, 08:00 PM
I'll join in too! I'm not savvy with Spotify or Grooveshark though, but I'll do my best for God and Forum.

Sweet idea, Wolof

Thanks Easy, another option would be streaming track by track on youtube...I find you can find most songs to most albums streaming, may be a pain in the ass but I may use this method at some point as well.... :thumbsup:

1) Wolof
2) Alady
3) mjk73
4) sweatboard
5) Ruckus
6) MarkW
7) iLikeBeer
8  ) Ophidiophobia
9) EasyRyder

iLikeBeer

Quote from: EasyRyder on Aug 23, 2011, 08:00 PM

Sweet idea, Wolof

Yeah, it looks as though I'm going to have to familiarize myself with Spotify as well. 

I'm excited for this idea though!  Should be fun stuff!   :thumbsup:

TommyBurnz

Im in, would it be old and new or any genre of music?

wolof7

Quote from: TommyBurnz on Aug 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
Im in, would it be old and new or any genre of music?

I would like to leave it up to the individual picking for the week.

...I would caution to stay away from crazy rarities like bootlegs from Hasil Adkins' port-o-potty from outside his trailer or something, even like obscure Ween demos that are readily available wouldn't be fun for no one, and I love me some Ween.

1) Wolof
2) Alady
3) mjk73
4) sweatboard
5) Ruckus
6) MarkW
7) iLikeBeer
8  ) Ophidiophobia
9) EasyRyder
10) TommyBurnz

I'd say stick to good albums of your choosing which are available to the general public in some way. Like a book club, we may not love the album chosen but I guess the point would be to expand our palettes if you will, discover some music and also critique without bias...I implore those involved to stick with it each week whether they like that weeks album or not.

Also thinkin I'll spearhead the inaugural session and generate a schedule for people and their respective weeks. So the first person after me I will pm this week and let them know to have an album choice pm'ed back to me.

I will announce at the end of each session the next pick and the host and add people as they will want to join the cool kids club bandwagon. I'm thinking Wednesdays at 9:30 or 10 Eastern time????

I'm thinking 1x/2 weeks so each can do their best obtaining the album in a timely manner. If all goes well maybe 1x/week through the winter doldrums?

Tracy 2112

1) Wolof
2) Alady
3) mjk73
4) sweatboard
5) Ruckus
6) MarkW
7) iLikeBeer
8  ) Ophidiophobia
9) EasyRyder
10) TommyBurnz
11) Tracy 2112
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

1) Wolof
2) Alady
3) mjk73
4) sweatboard
5) Ruckus
6) MarkW
7) iLikeBeer
8  ) Ophidiophobia
9) EasyRyder
10) TommyBurnz
11) Tracy 2112
12) ewind

good way to discover new tunes.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ManNamedTruth

If someone can send me an invite for spotify I'm in, because I don't see myself purchasing music EVERY week.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

I'd say each selection gets its own thread, so we don't have to scroll down through 40 pages to talk about how much Brian's recommended listen sucked.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

brians recommended listen did suck, though

i think I'll have a few spotify invites let me look

ya know what, i dont even think i know how to invite people. I think I'm going to upgrade to the payed version so i can get it on my call phone then I'll surely get invites
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 23, 2011, 11:16 PM
I'd say each selection gets its own thread, so we don't have to scroll down through 40 pages to talk about how much Brian's recommended listen sucked.

Great, I can't wait to see what Rush record we have to listen to.  ;D  I agree each person/record needs it's own thread ............ Tracy/Pearl Jam - No Code  etc.

I think a week is plenty of time, pick a record discuss for 7 days and then a new pick. 

I got a Rhapsody subscription for Christmas from my brother and it's so great.  I can listen to almost any album at any time for free. 
There's Still Time.........