Forum Album Club #3 - Mandala, by Rx Bandits

Started by ManNamedTruth, Sep 14, 2011, 09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 14, 2011, 09:49 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 14, 2011, 09:42 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 14, 2011, 09:41 PM
This third song has a little Mars Volta feel.

I myself feel like they're a more accessible version of Mars Volta, with catchier songs.

Definitely....I love TMV but maybe can stand listening to them 2x/yr....but when I do it's all i wanna listen to

I think Deloused is a masterpiece, they lost me after that. 
There's Still Time.........

YimBlaylock

I'm running a little late so I just started my spin of the album. Only listened to the album 2 two other times, so I'm gonna hold off on my formal review of the album as a whole until I'm a little more familiar, probably tomorrow or day after. First impression though, great musicianship as was mentioned. Not sold on the vocalist quite yet, don't think he detracts from the songs, but not really sure he adds a whole lot in my opinion. First song's solid. A lot of these songs seem like I've heard them before, even though I'm certain I never have. Also, I'm a sucker for a good riff, which these guys have plenty to spare.
It's all happening.

wolof7

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 14, 2011, 09:51 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 14, 2011, 09:48 PM
liking his voice more as the songs go by....just starting to hear the jeff buckley claim on White Lies....

....for me I can't place how I would listen to this album....should prob really listen under the influence to gain different perspectives....it is an album that definitely keeps you on ur toes!

I'm with you here brother, I can't figure out what context I would want to listen to this record in.  Probably in the middle of a bunch of dudes with dreads dancing their fucking asses off. .......... If I could manage to do it.

I could see myself going nuts to this live....hah
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

wolof7

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 14, 2011, 09:52 PM

I myself feel like they're a more accessible version of Mars Volta, with catchier songs.

Definitely....I love TMV but maybe can stand listening to them 2x/yr....but when I do it's all i wanna listen to

Agreed and understandable

sweatboard

yeah, when they decide to let the guitar riff, they have some sweet ones.  but it's like it's only an eighth of the song.  I actually think the keyboard its my favorite.  The keyboard drum stuff on "Mentras la ve"  is pretty sweet at the end. 

wolof7

From Rx Bandits wiki page:

Last Summer Tour (2011)On April 12, 2011, the band announced that their forthcoming summer U.S. tour would be their last. A brief statement was given by the band:

" We would like to express our love and appreciation for all that you've done for us and how much a part of our growth you have been. We have all mutually decided that this summer will be our last tour. We love each other and love you all and hope to see you at the shows. "

The tour is to be composed of 36 shows spanning from May 4, 2011 to August 7, 2011.

Fans first believed the announcement to mean that the band were breaking up when, in fact, they are simply stopping their summer tours. Steve Choi has confirmed this in a Playmaker interview:

" To clarify, we're not breaking up. We're just doing our last tour. What we're gonna do in the future, we're not quite sure. That's a big question because it involves what we're going to do collectively and what we're going to do individually. Despite popular belief, we don't live together, sleep together or eat together. Those days have passed. We all have our own lives to tend to. When we're not full time touring or playing shows, we gotta handle business...

wolof7

Breakfast the Cat has my favorite riffage on this album.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 14, 2011, 09:53 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 14, 2011, 09:52 PM

Agreed and understandable

Deloused is the one I go back to most. Francis The Mute is good too.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

sweatboard

Some of the lyrics on this record (white lies) make me think the singer is starting to get worn down with trying to make a living by being in a band.  So I'm not suprised they aren't going to be touring. 

ManNamedTruth

Brian - you may enjoy the album The Resignation more.
Wolof - Sad news as I've never seen them live. you know how those things go though, nothing is set in stone.
Breakfast Cat is one of my favorite tracks.

sweatboard

I'm digging White Lies right now.  Not so much going on.  His voice sounds nice on this one. 

ManNamedTruth

Bury It Down Low sounds more like some of their older shit.

sweatboard

It's almost like he's singing like the words REALLY mean something to him on White Lies.  I bet the lead singer is really proud of this song.  At times it comes off like he's the guy who had to come up with something meanful to sing over the bands 6 min. jam session.   

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 14, 2011, 09:56 PM

Agreed. Kind of sounds like 311.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 14, 2011, 10:04 PM
It's almost like he's singing like the words REALLY mean something to him on White Lies.  I bet the lead singer is really proud of this song.  At times it comes off like he's the guy who had to come up with something meanful to sing over the bands 6 min. jam session.

He is the brains of the band though, him and the drummer are the only two of the original lineup.

wolof7

I really enjoyed this album....gotta head off early......

I am definitely going to revisit this album....every now and then I crave prog stuff. this got caught right in my wheelhouse tonight thanks MAN.N.T!! :thumbsup:

sweatboard

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 14, 2011, 10:06 PM

He is the brains of the band though, him and the drummer are the only two of the original lineup.

Does he play an instrument?

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 14, 2011, 10:05 PM

Kind of hear it, but i think it's more technical and complicated sounding, especially around the 2 minute mark.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 14, 2011, 10:06 PM

Does he play an instrument?

yeah, guitar.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 14, 2011, 10:08 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 14, 2011, 10:05 PM

Kind of hear it, but i think it's more technical and complicated sounding, especially around the 2 minute mark.

Not the whole song really, just the guitar riff.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...