Main Menu

Alberta Cross

Started by wolof7, Sep 17, 2011, 09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Couldn't find the old thread, must of gotten lost in the board changeover....here's 2 new tracks....guess they are sponsored by ketel one now....whatev band's gotta find a way to make a buck these days i guess....just got my Alberta Cross/Portugal. the Man tix in yesterday!!!

No announcements about the new album yet....thinkin late fall-ish?

Money for the Weekend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U_hAGVOZzc&feature=player_embedded#

Wasteland
Wasteland- Acoustic (Part 3 of 6) - Ketel One
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mahg33ta

I had read an EP due out late Sept and a new album early next yr

mjk73

I really love these guys.

MrWhippy

As much as I love their first record, I think the new songs they have been playing recently are even better. 

Their set at Virgin Freefest last weekend was almost all new songs (only 3 from the first album). 
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

iLikeBeer

mahg33ta

Quote from: mahg33ta on Sep 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
I had read an EP due out late Sept and a new album early next yr

I went googling to make sure I was spreading correct info - here's some additional detail:

http://skopemag.com/2011/09/09/new-ep-coming-from-alberta-cross

Ghosts_on_TV

Met them at Bonnaroo while watching Animal Collective one year, and told the singer i enjoyed their set. He was super nice and really seemed to appreciate that I told him that.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

wolof7

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 20, 2011, 03:54 PM
Met them at Bonnaroo while watching Animal Collective one year, and told the singer i enjoyed their set. He was super nice and really seemed to appreciate that I told him that.

I had a very similar experience when I saw them open for Joe Fletcher/ Phosphorescent in Providence....I was heavy into 'Broken Side of Time' at the time and didn't even kno Phosphorescent....I made it a point to meet each member of the band who were all really appreciative to hear drunken glorifications of their album from some random fan.

Thanks for the correct info g33ta, can't wait for next week!

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wolof7

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 28, 2011, 10:59 AM
Quote from: mahg33ta on Sep 28, 2011, 10:22 AM
stream the EP

http://soundcloud.com/alberta-cross/sets/the-rolling-thunder-ep
CURSES!  Blocked at work!  D'oh!

sounds pretty good to me....wasnt a fan of 'Money for the Weekend' at first but it has grown on me...

Come Closer

Loving this EP. Thanks for the link!

blucas

soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

Come Closer

Saw them open for PtM the other day. They sound awesome live. Rise from the Shadows was sick.

Penny Lane

They remind me of early Verve...I really like them. ..they can get trippy like Dead Confederate but also get acoustic and folky..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wolof7

Quote from: Osistheones on Oct 28, 2011, 03:48 PM

Saw them open for PtM the other day. They sound awesome live. Rise from the Shadows was sick.

Rise from the Shadows issssss sicccckkkk live!!!!

....and apt decription Penny, apt  :thumbsup:

mahg33ta

Very late reporting back, but Johnny Yac and I caught these guys a week ago opening for Portugal the Man.

I've seen tons of bands touring with one album recorded and, typically, at least you know what you are getting setlist-wise.   And I know Broken Side of Time cold so I was looking forward to hearing some of my favs.   So it was with a little disappointment that of a 7 song set, the first 5 were all new tunes.   I was a little familiar with the EP, so that helped.   I think Money for the Weekend is kinda eh, but I like Wait.   I also like Rolliing Thunder, but they didn't play it (also the favorite song of the bass player, according to a little chat I had with him while he was breaking down his equip).

That said, they were good I thought, worth seeing and would check them out again if they toured as a headliner.   Yac almost got his eye poked out by a broken string and his head knocked in by a guitar many times.... we were CLOSE and because they were opening and playing in front of the other bands equip, they were right on the front.   See this pic:

Here's a better qual pic, and the setlist from my angle....

Come Closer

New album is interesting, not sure what to make of it yet. I guess it's just the lead singer left at this point. Lots of horns, piano, strings.

JDUB

I agree. The new album is interesting. I like it better than their last album Songs of Patience. I saw them play live a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. The new backing band isn't as good as the group that played on Broken Side of Time. Really enjoyed them closing with Low Man that had an extended "jam."

On a related note, just discovered Petter's side project Dicey Hollow. http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/06/dicey-hollow-announces-debut-lp-shares-silver-and-sand-listen/