Roll Call - Dec 14th New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden

Started by headhunter, Sep 18, 2011, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zutronics

Quote from: edierevolution on Sep 19, 2011, 04:32 PM
If you guys are looking for a hotel... this one is great:

http://www.vervehotel.com/

It's in Long Island City (Queens)... literally 10 min from manhattan on the train. The area is kind of industrial, but it's totally safe. Everyone I know who comes to town stays there. And they do a free breakfast that isn't gross. And a pretty friggen good barbecue joint just opened up a few blocks away.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/john-brown-smokehouse-long-island-city

I concur.  Live in Long Island City and it's one stop from Manhattan on the 7 train (although this hotel is a bit further away on the N train).  I'd recommend everyone investigate hotels in LIC or Brooklyn, as it's not that bad.  The bars are certainly better!   

e_wind

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 19, 2011, 05:52 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Sep 19, 2011, 04:39 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Sep 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
Re band of snoozes, there are bands that make music made for a live performance as a warm up band, and there are great studio bands that do not warm the crowd up at all for an energetic show. This is the latter. They made my study soundtrack for 2 winter semesters, but I'm dreading the slowness and sleepyness. Sharon Jones is the perfect opening act for this. Gets the blood flowing

Have you ever seen them? They put on a pretty good show. I'd prefer Sharon too, but they'll be good.

I'm sure they perform well, and create a nice, atmospheric feel to the music. I'm also sure that when I'm about to get the sock rocked off my cock by the Jacket, the last thing I want is melodic indie rock to lull me into a trance making it a challenge to remain on my feet due to the overwhelming feeling of yawns and a longing desire for a nap.

Probably could've said the same thing about Everest, and they were the best opener of the T5 run.

I also want to state that I am not bitter about BoH playing at all, even though I agree they're snoozical live. I like their music, and I look forward seeing a band open that I like enough to see a headlining show by (though I probably never will again).

Rarely is the opener I enjoy, and I will not be disappointed because they are just the appetizer.

Nothing will beat Delta Spirit in St. Louis as an opener though.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

e_wind

Quote from: zutronics on Sep 19, 2011, 06:40 PM
Quote from: edierevolution on Sep 19, 2011, 04:32 PM
If you guys are looking for a hotel... this one is great:

http://www.vervehotel.com/

It's in Long Island City (Queens)... literally 10 min from manhattan on the train. The area is kind of industrial, but it's totally safe. Everyone I know who comes to town stays there. And they do a free breakfast that isn't gross. And a pretty friggen good barbecue joint just opened up a few blocks away.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/john-brown-smokehouse-long-island-city

I concur.  Live in Long Island City and it's one stop from Manhattan on the 7 train (although this hotel is a bit further away on the N train).  I'd recommend everyone investigate hotels in LIC or Brooklyn, as it's not that bad.  The bars are certainly better!   

Right now I think the best advice I've heard is to stay at the Meadowbrook Sheraton in East Rutherford... free bus to the train station and only a 4 dollar right to get right under MSG. However, I don't think some of the high maintence people I'm going with will allow it. I think they'll pay a lot of extra cash for convenience.

Northern Neighbour

I broke down and bought tickets.  Now time to convince the wife to go and to get the time off.

e_wind

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Sep 19, 2011, 06:47 PM
I broke down and bought tickets.  Now time to convince the wife to go and to get the time off.

that was really the only outcome I expected....

The roll call list is already 30+ people. this is going to be awesome.

CountSA

I wasn't around to buy tix until about 6:15 tonight but scored 2 GA anyways.

el_chode

On to other things, where is the meetup that I can run late for and miss? Suggestions?
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tired Eyes

1. Headhunter
2.tdb8
3.8bobbyb
4. lil sis
5. ynwa
6. ericm
7. oistheone
8. natonate99
9. e-wind +1
10.  MrWhippy (coming solo up from DC)
11. Penny
12. johnnYYac
13. firesofcanning
14. bluesky
15. CountSA
16. FiddleCastro
17. Ghosts on TV and Co.
18. WSS2, Mrs. WSS2, +2
19. Jane
20. TSarge
21. joey and co.
22. br00ke !!!!!!!!!
23. Nova_Nola (provided the flight Gods are kind)
24. Dboczar + 1
25. jbaruch76
26. Ruckus+2
27. Bigsky
28. JaneCool
29. noripcord+1
30. Tired Eyes

When will the meetup at Stout begin?  What time will folks head over to line up (for those of us with GA)?  If both are relatively early, I may have to be "sick" that day.    ;)

headhunter

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Sep 19, 2011, 06:47 PM

Haven't seen u guys since the Philly show last year.  Hope your wife isn't too hard to convince, would be good to see you again.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Penny Lane

Quote from: el_chode on Sep 19, 2011, 07:14 PM
On to other things, where is the meetup that I can run late for and miss? Suggestions?

SERIOUSLY..HA HA..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quote from: vespachick on Sep 19, 2011, 04:54 PM
Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Sep 19, 2011, 04:42 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Sep 19, 2011, 04:39 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Sep 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
Re band of snoozes, there are bands that make music made for a live performance as a warm up band, and there are great studio bands that do not warm the crowd up at all for an energetic show. This is the latter. They made my study soundtrack for 2 winter semesters, but I'm dreading the slowness and sleepyness. Sharon Jones is the perfect opening act for this. Gets the blood flowing

Have you ever seen them? They put on a pretty good show. I'd prefer Sharon too, but they'll be good.

I'm sure they perform well, and create a nice, atmospheric feel to the music. I'm also sure that when I'm about to get the sock rocked off my cock by the Jacket, the last thing I want is melodic indie rock to lull me into a trance making it a challenge to remain on my feet due to the overwhelming feeling of yawns and a longing desire for a nap.

BOH can rock pretty well. I've only seen them once but they brought energy at that show. I think you're judging it too harsh before seeing them.

That said, I would have preferred Delta Spirit or Sharon & Dap Kings over BoH but I'm glad all 3 are acts that I enjoy.

Not to beat this horse to death (see what I did there  ;D), but I'm a fan of meloncholy rock and I've seen BoH 3 times, albeit inadvertently just because they showed up where I showed up.....  I was bored out of my mind each time.

i'll beat it harder..i mean...
i've seen them twice, at the Greek in Berkley and Jazz Fest and i was bored..but i LOOOOOOOVE their albums...could listen all day to that sad sappy 'melancholy' stuff..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

oistheone

C'monnnn boys, this is the time to bring out some Christmas classics! I know it's not quite made for an arena show, but what I wouldn't give to hear "XMas Time Is Here" during Christmas season, in Manhattan no less. It'd be perfect!

johnnYYac

New wish list:

Xmas Curtain
The Bear
Just One Thing
War Begun
Friends Again
Losin' Yo Head
Bermuda Highway
At Dawn
Where To Begin
Masterplan
Strangulation
and a full Run Thru!

Special guests?

Carnival rides?

50/50 raffle?

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

headhunter

well from my last show at MSG I seem to recall the boys pulling out all the stops.  No doubt this will get a few rare specials too.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

el_chode

I hope one of the surprises isn't a clean shave. I turned to my future wife back at the last MSG show and said, "I wonder who this young guy is singing, is there an opening act?"

manonthemoon

The only reason to ever go to NYC, so in with a +1, probably going to have an extra pair of tix in section 118 Low as I was able to pick up a Pair of GA after I picked up the seated pair.  Shout if you know anyone who might want em.
Alive or Just Breathing

Dillsnufus

1. Headhunter
2.tdb8
3.8bobbyb
4. lil sis
5. ynwa
6. ericm
7. oistheone
8. natonate99
9. e-wind +1
11. Penny
12. johnnYYac
13. firesofcanning
14. bluesky
15. CountSA
16. FiddleCastro
17. Ghosts on TV and Co.
18. WSS2, Mrs. WSS2, +2
19. Jane
20. TSarge
21. joey and co.
22. br00ke !!!!!!!!!
24. Dboczar + 1
25. jbaruch76
26. Ruckus+2
27. Bigsky
28. JaneCool
29. noripcord+1
30. Dillsnufus +2
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

TheLurker

1. Headhunter
2.tdb8
3.8bobbyb
4. lil sis
5. ynwa
6. ericm
7. oistheone
8. natonate99
9. e-wind +1
11. Penny
12. johnnYYac
13. firesofcanning
14. bluesky
15. CountSA
16. FiddleCastro
17. Ghosts on TV and Co.
18. WSS2, Mrs. WSS2, +2
19. Jane
20. TSarge
21. joey and co.
22. br00ke !!!!!!!!!
24. Dboczar + 1
25. jbaruch76
26. Ruckus+2
27. Bigsky
28. JaneCool
29. noripcord+1
30. Tired Eyes
31. TheLurker + wife

I gotta chime in to defend the Band of Horses live show...saw them at T5 in '07 and in Brooklyn in '08 and loved it both times.  You're prob not gonna rock your face off but the energy is solid and they have a blast onstage.  I will say that I do not listen to the latest album as it blows chunks compared to the first two.  Just my opinion though  ;)

el_chode

1. Headhunter
2.tdb8
3.8bobbyb
4. lil sis
5. ynwa
6. ericm
7. oistheone
8. natonate99
9. e-wind +1
11. Penny
12. johnnYYac
13. firesofcanning
14. bluesky
15. CountSA
16. FiddleCastro
17. Ghosts on TV and Co.
18. WSS2, Mrs. WSS2, +2
19. Jane
20. TSarge
21. joey and co.
22. br00ke !!!!!!!!!
24. Dboczar + 1
25. jbaruch76
26. Ruckus+2
27. Bigsky
28. JaneCool
29. noripcord+1
30. Dillsnufus +2
31. TheLurker + wife
32. El Chode + Mrs Chode + Virgin 1 + Virgin 2

jaye

Quote from: oistheone on Sep 19, 2011, 08:34 PM
C'monnnn boys, this is the time to bring out some Christmas classics! I know it's not quite made for an arena show, but what I wouldn't give to hear "XMas Time Is Here" during Christmas season, in Manhattan no less. It'd be perfect!

and the Santa version of Come Closer   :thumbsup: