What did you all think about that Mayweather takedown Punch?

Started by Sweet Nothing, Sep 19, 2011, 09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Nothing

Did you think that Mayweather got a cheap quick one in on Ortiz or do you think that the Ortiz was still trying to hug it out before Mayweather straight clocked him with a 1-2 punch?  It looked as though Ortiz was looking to the ref who wasn't watching after Mayweather threw the first punch then the second one knocked him down.  Let me know what you think.

ericm

Perfectly fine, imo. Ref even said "time was in". Mayweather did nothing wrong or illegal.

It's a boxing ring for f's sake! You better be paying attention to the other guy. Ortiz got what he deserved, especially after that head butt, which surely looked intentional to me.
"Where's Jim going?"

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jaimoe

Ortiz has never been known as a dirty fighter and he's certainly a likeable guy and wears his heart on his sleeve. I don't think it was intentional. Mayweather showed a lack of gamemanship and class once again. He's going to get his, like almost every fighter does at some point (Hagler and Marciano are a few of the exceptions).

Ortiz will rebound. He's young and has gone through adversity before, where his heart and character came into question. His last fight, a comeback title bout vs Andre Berto, is still fight of the year.

Regardless, this division is loaded with few places to hide.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jaimoe on Sep 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
Ortiz has never been known as a dirty fighter and he's certainly a likeable guy and wears his heart on his sleeve. I don't think it was intentional. Mayweather showed a lack of gamemanship and class once again. He's going to get his, like almost every fighter does at some point (Hagler and Marciano are a few of the exceptions).

Ortiz will rebound. He's young and has gone through adversity before, where his heart and character came into question. His last fight, a comeback title bout vs Andre Berto, is still fight of the year.

Regardless, this division is loaded with few places to hide.
Dude, that was as intentional as it gets.  I was rooting for Ortiz.  As a lefty, the opportunity for a clash of heads presented itself numerous times in the 1st three rounds.  Ortiz was getting close to working his head too close to Mayweather in clinches on a number of times I think.  Regardless, the one in the 4th was ridiculous and Ortiz admitted as much.  It's just sad that he resorted to that when he was showing that he had a chance.

I can't stand Mayweather but I don't blame him for what he did.  He's never been one of class and he's still getting $30+ paydays.  Ortiz butted him, then left himself exposed.  He did what he had to do to end the fight after that.

It all seemed a little fishy. 

Jaimoe

I watched it again and it was intentional. Blame my drunken haze of fight night... and my disgust for Mayweather. I'm more disappointed in Ortiz than anything. The Berto fight was clean and as thrilling as boxing or fighting of any sort gets.

Sweet Nothing

Agreed that the headbutt was intentional but what was he thinking after he had Mayweather in the corner and then just thought it was a street fight i guess, bit of a brain fart on Ortiz part.  It was a little messed up imo that Mayweather did that but you are right when you are in the ring you always have to keep up your guard.  Ortiz was very classy about the KO, he just said he would take it as a learning experience while Mayweather just tried to dismiss thst it was a clean punch when he was getting questioned at the end of the fight.  His entourage was getting frustrated with the announcer when he questioned the last two punches that knocked down Ortiz.  Thanks for your opinions!

Jaimoe

Yeah, Mayweather went off on Larry Merchant. Right or not, few announcers in all of sport have Larry Merchant's cohones. He calls out fighters to their collective faces all the time. 

Ruckus

Quote from: Jaimoe on Sep 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah, Mayweather went off on Larry Merchant. Right or not, few announcers in all of sport have Larry Merchant's cohones. He calls out fighters to their collective faces all the time.
I'm a huge fan of Merchant.  It helps that I'm able to either tune out a slow, long winded, incorrect analysis or laugh hysterically at one of his deranged analyses.  I feel like the exclusivity of boxing TV coverage allows for those types of interviews if that makes sense.  I think Jim Gray over on Showtime is just as unforgiving, to both fighter or referee.  As for the actual interview, it was entertaining but once Merchant left grinning after his empty shit talk, it lost its entertainment and became boxing schtick

Jaimoe

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 19, 2011, 05:50 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Sep 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of Merchant.  It helps that I'm able to either tune out a slow, long winded, incorrect analysis or laugh hysterically at one of his deranged analyses.  I feel like the exclusivity of boxing TV coverage allows for those types of interviews if that makes sense.  I think Jim Gray over on Showtime is just as unforgiving, to both fighter or referee.  As for the actual interview, it was entertaining but once Merchant left grinning after his empty shit talk, it lost its entertainment and became boxing schtick

Merchant fully believes he could take Floyd if he was 50 years younger. Love that. Bert Sugar was just on The Fan 590 here in Toronto and he's a big fan of Mercant. He also called the fight a farce on many levels, from Cortez being "somehow" distracted seconds before the KO punch to Mayweather's "dirty but legal" classlessness along with Ortiz's bizzare hug-and-kissiness. Sugar thinks Cortez is done doing big fights and believes Manny won't want any part of Mayweather now after this. Sugar said that Mayweather lives in his own self-important reality and is obsessive about his unbleamished record, hence another reason why the Manny fight won't happen (along with Mayweather's skills are on the decline). He generally has no respect for Mayweather in regards to the latter's highly publicized stance that boxing being clean, and yet he's a dirty fighter. Sugar is the best, and one of sports writing's finest.