Forum Album Club #5 REM - "UP"

Started by sweatboard, Sep 28, 2011, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 28, 2011, 09:46 PM
Oi, Robert Smith and now Stipe.  Must overcome my disdain for Stipe.  I listened to this album in the car once today.  Admittedly, I am not a lyrics guy at all so maybe much of this album is lost on me.

That said, I enjoy Airportman and Suspicion.

When I first heard the lyrics on HOPE about being hogtied I thought of what they do to animals.  I learned it's also a torture technique where they tie a rope around a human's neck, lay them on their stomach and then tie the other end around the person's ankles.  Eventually the person strangles themselves because of the pressure.  I would suggest a glass of bourbon dimmed lights and the lyric sheet with this record.  It's really not a car or a background party record. 
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

I think the production and use of instruments on this record are just off the charts.  They pull out some amazing sounds and then Nigel Goodrich just puts it over the top.  SAD PROFFESOR – just a heartbreaking song with guitar, bass/piano and Michael.    AMAZING !!!!!!!!!

sweatboard

this album is so much like watching a movie in your brain. 

Ruckus

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 28, 2011, 09:56 PM
Oi, Robert Smith and now Stipe.  Must overcome my disdain for Stipe.  I listened to this album in the car once today.  Admittedly, I am not a lyrics guy at all so maybe much of this album is lost on me.

When I first heard the lyrics on HOPE about being hogtied I thought of what they do to animals.  I learned it's also a torture technique where they tie a rope around a human's neck, lay them on their stomach and then tie the other end around the person's ankles.  Eventually the person strangles themselves because of the pressure.  I would suggest a glass of bourbon dimmed lights and the lyric sheet with this record.  It's really not a car or a background party record.
Oh I definitely got that alright ;D  Please disregard my cynicism.  As with the Cure last week, I'm finding much more in this album 2nd time around right now.

Could you give me emo lessons Sweatboard?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

sweatboard

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 28, 2011, 10:02 PM

Oh I definitely got that alright ;D  Please disregard my cynicism.  As with the Cure last week, I'm finding much more in this album 2nd time around right now.

Ha, a good start is to hate yourself and major in english lit

Ruckus

Where's Tracy and ILB?  I thought they were REM experts?

sweatboard

get your heart broken a few times and start taking comfort in music.  It's pretty much taken care of from there probably.  I actually think this album is really UPlifting as is The Cure for me.  So I might be a little sick.

Ruckus

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 28, 2011, 10:04 PM

I wish I could do it all over again.

sweatboard

Walk Unafraid - they claim to walk unafraid....I'll be clumsy instead.  Contradiction only makes it harder. 

sweatboard

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 28, 2011, 10:06 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 28, 2011, 10:04 PM

I wish I could do it all over again.

Exactly....... See, you're on your way.  ;D

wolof7

You're in the Air is my least favorite REM song I think I've ever heard....

...Walk Unafraid redeems it a bit...great track
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

To reiterate a theme mentioned earlier, there's a lot of Thom Yorke vocals going on in YOu're in the Air no?

wolof7

maybe so Ruckus, Pablo honey style Yorke tho

sweatboard

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 28, 2011, 10:10 PM
You're in the Air is my least favorite REM song I think I've ever heard....

...Walk Unafraid redeems it a bit...great track

I have to talk myself into believing this one belongs on the record at times.  So I'll probably listen to it 3 times straight after we get done.

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
maybe so Ruckus, Pablo honey style Yorke tho
Don't know my Radiohead much other than Bends and OK so...wait, we tried to cover Creep waaaaayyyy back when.  I'm glad we stopped.

Ghosts_on_TV

Not listening now, but "at my most beautiful" is one of my favorite r.e.m. songs. Always really loved the line "I save your messages, just to hear your voice."
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

sweatboard

Day Sleeper is interesting because on one hand Michael is referring to people that work at night and sleep during the day.  On the other hand he seems to refer to the people that both work AND sleep during the day.   

sweatboard

The Ocean Machine is set till 9< I'll ....   

Amazing

sweatboard

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 28, 2011, 10:17 PM
Not listening now, but "at my most beautiful" is one of my favorite r.e.m. songs. Always really loved the line "I save your messages, just to hear your voice."

Michael talked about how he loved the music for this track so much that he really spent a bunch of time trying to come up with some lyrics about love that weren't clichés that we've heard a thousand times before.  Also, love that line. 

wolof7

Why Not Smile>Daysleeper = Classic