Jim James, Gillian Welch, Decemberist to guide Newport Folk

Started by johnnYYac, Sep 29, 2011, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I should think this will bode well for future appearances by YY, Carl, etc. solo or MMJ acoustic (:o) at future NFFs!!!

Jim James, Gillian Welch, Decemberist to guide Newport Folk

The Newport Festivals Foundation has created a board of advisors including Colin Meloy of the Decemberists, Gillian Welch, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Jim James of My Morning Jacket, and Ben Knox Miller of The Low Anthem. The panel of musicians is meant ensure that Newport Folk remains a significant, viable, and influential institution — and that it doesn't go out of business.

"The Newport Folk Festival's Board of Advisors is comprised of very special performers and we're pleased that they have agreed to join us as we return to our roots as a non-profit organization," said George Wein, chairman of the Newport Festivals Foundation and festival co-founder with Pete Seeger. "Each of these musicians personifies and enhances the spirit of the Newport Folk Festival, which honors past, present, and future icons of the ever-changing folk scene."

The five founding members have all previously appeared at Newport

"The importance and influence of the Newport Folk Festival is undeniable," said Colin Meloy in a release. "I'm proud to be involved with the Festival because I feel like it can have real and lasting relevance to a new generation of musicians."

For the first time ever, the two-day 2011 Newport Folk Festival sold all 20,000 tickets in advance — 10 days in advance. Thanks go to an increasingly diverse line up of A-listers, buzzing up-and-comers and old-guard folkies. This year's lineup included the Decemberists, Elvis Costello, Amos Lee, Emmylou Harris, Gogol Bordello (America's best live rock band?), fast-rising locals David Wax Museum and more.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

mahg33ta

even before this article, I was thinking YY was a lock for next years Newport, given his past pattern, missing this year, likely lull in MMJ tour, impending solo album if ever, etc... this only adds to my hope.

Thanks for posting!