Spin lists YY as one of 8 Best Moments of NFF

Started by SaraBananaBear, Aug 03, 2010, 04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

I don't think anyone has posted this yet, but if so, sorry! If not, here you go:

Spin's 8 Best Moments of Newport Folk Fest

"My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James is standing on line for a port-a-potty backstage at the Newport Folk Festival wearing a brown suit and a giant smile on his face. "It's unbelievable," he tells SPIN.com. "You've got the sun on your skin and the breeze in your hair. It's magical here... It's just magical."

Dude has a point."

And:

"MOST POPULAR: JIM JAMES:
Nobody embodied Folk Fest's collaborative and laidback spirit more than the My Morning Jacket frontman. He dueted with John Prine on a pair of tracks and joined Preservation Hall Jazz Band to sing Jimmy Rodgers' 1930 tune "Blue Yodel No. 9." He joined singer-songwriter Daniel Martin Moore and cellist Ben Sollee during their sets, and performed his own tunes Saturday afternoon with Moore and Sollee backing him up on vocals and cello. (The three are touring together as "Appalachian Voices," raising money to stop Mountaintop Removal coal mining). James focused on stripped down versions of MMJ tunes: a keyboard version of the jubilant guitar explosion "What A Wonderful Man"; an acoustic shuffle of "Smokin' from Shootin'" (an experimental track from their new album Evil Urges) with a snappy drum part firing like a gun on the chorus; and a Spanish guitar rendition of "Gideon," an atmospheric highlight from Z. The best part: his high-pitched voice that could clear fog from the tallest of the Appalachian Mountains."

From: http://www.spin.com/articles/8-best-moments-newport-folk-fest

:)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

TGMC421

johnnYYac

Well said.  Many folks, leaving after Jim's set, said things like "that was the best part of the day so far."
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?