Occupy Wall Street

Started by e_wind, Oct 06, 2011, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

you weren't a dick, it's how political discourse goes. i'm drowning in student debt that i picked up simply because i like to argue

but like you said, it's the reason why i don't like these protests - not because the protestors are wrong, it's because they're going about it the wrong way and i think it hurts their over all argument. it's too idealistic. fighting what ought to be is not going to get you as far as fighting for what is.

i think the best thing we can hope for at this point is that while the unrest ferments for a bit, if the administration/wshington does nothing about it, it shows they have lost touch with those who put them in office to begin with.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

el_chode

I came across a few articles, one of which is here:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2011/10/oscotus_what_ows_protesters_should_focus_on_at_the_supreme_court.html

This is what I'm talking about - they are actually going to the gov't to protest. I didn't know Cornel west was arrested, and I find it odd no one is reporting on this side of it.

Meanwhile, I read that there is a self-made media camp in the middle of the Wall Street one in an attempt to monitor the coverage and create their own to avoid being labeled by the media.

Perhaps it's slow, but things seem to be getting more on what I thnk will be an effective track. And as mentioned, the one thing they have on their hands is time. At least a year, that is.

woodnymph

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Oct 18, 2011, 02:18 AMit goes against the status quo and it involves a small bit of optimism. if that's idealistic then every positive idea for change that hasn't been implemented must be also.   being creative, innovative, etc comes from being slightly idealistic, no?   

Well said, Stickster

cue Flaming Lips    "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion (The Inner Life as Blazing Shield of Defiance and Optimism as Celestial Spear of Action)"
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

e_wind

Christopher Nolan is supposedly tweaking the Dark Knight Rises to include OWS protestors in the background. Weather it's to agree with the protestors or to show civil unrest that the story includes I dont know.

Also, supposedly MTVs next Real World is open to exclusively OWS protestors
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

el_chode

This shit out of oakland is absurd.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
This shit out of oakland is absurd.

yeah it is.  Oakland Policeman Throws Flash Grenade Into Crowd Trying To Help Injured Protester

video blows my mind.  fuck those cops, fuck them hard.  put them in prison and let them get butt fucked by big joe.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

decent interview on tell me more today:

http://www.npr.org/programs/tell-me-more/  (fridays show)

has a decent discussion with a tea party member and an occupy dude then a dude whose neutral.   if your bored, worth a listen.

el_chode

The white house apparently indicated the DOJ will not investigate

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

mutha fuckin DoJ yo. fucking bureaucrats.

Tracy 2112

Having worn a gun and serving in a law enforcement capacity for a couple of years, I feel for the BS those policemen are having to put up with. Just as every police officer isn't a saint, every protestor isn't a saint either and I am seeing great restraint by some of those cops with punks pushing them and yelling in their faces. It's got to be wearing on them and I applaud their service to our cities.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 28, 2011, 09:51 PM
Having worn a gun and serving in a law enforcement capacity for a couple of years, I feel for the BS those policemen are having to put up with. Just as every police officer isn't a saint, every protestor isn't a saint either and I am seeing great restraint by some of those cops with punks pushing them and yelling in their faces. It's got to be wearing on them and I applaud their service to our cities.

I agree to some extent.  but the force being used on these people is without a doubt excessive.   my uncle was a police officer for years and years, total bad ass.  so you're definitely right that some of those guys are out there just doing their job.  the police in detroit don't give a fuuuuck.  it's nowhere near as massive but the occupy people shutdown/blocked off the ambassador bridge the other day.  the cops asked them to leave and they left peacefully.  nobody was hurt.  the shit that went down in oakland is inexcusable.   the atlanta shit is iffy too.  the mayor or governor or whomever was on NPR and kept bringing up a dude who was caring around an AK-47 or something.  it was probably one guy.  but he tried to paint the scene like tons of people were strolling around with AK's.  it's straight bullshit.  they didn't shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at the tea party when they were walking around with a lot more weapons than the people in atlanta. 

cops seem to be protecting the insurance companies more than the people. 

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

YouAre_GivenToFly

The Occupiers in NYC seem to be a lot more organized and educated about the issues than those here in Philly.

The "occupation" in Philly is taking place on the west side of City Hall. That's fine by me since that little area always smells like piss. Anyway, Wednesday they walked a couple blocks to Comcast's HQ and held a sit-in of sorts in the lobby, about 10 of them got arrested. They think that Comcast should pay more taxes. Maybe they should, but when it comes to paying taxes, Comcast is playing by the (arguably terrible) rules set in place. They also happen to employ a huge number of people in the Phila area.

The occipiers should have done some more research and saved their energy before they picked Comcast as their sit-in location; IRS offices are 2 blocks closer to their campsite.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time