Forum Album Club #7 ~ Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones

Started by mjk73, Oct 12, 2011, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

I'm starting this now as I will be in and out between the Cards game, work, and trying to sneak a quick workout in. This is my album of the year. This is a review I wrote for a local site. It's an outstanding record.

http://www.playbackstl.com/music-reviews/10969-frank-turner-england-keep-my-bones-epitaph

Go!

Ruckus

Thanks to MJK, this album has become one of my favorites of the year as well.  When I first read of England Keep My Bones, the question that came to mind was, "Is this similar in style to Billy Bragg's mid 80's output?"  That possibility immediately had me intrigued.  When I finally listened to it, their shared fusion of punk and folk was immediately apparent though with Bragg, the punk arises more in his lyrics, whereas with Turner, much more so in the music.

The 3 prominent aspects that appealed to me about this album were its earnestness, its unabashed liberal patriotism (contrary to ideals of patriotism we are bombarded with here), and catchy, drink and sing along nature of a majority of the tracks.  Admittedly, there are 2 or 3 tracks that skew towards the FM rock radio sound that normally would turn me off.  However, aforementioned honesty in the lyrics and music overcome my cynical barriers and plays as an enjoyable album for the most part.  Now whether I'll feel the same way about his next record after the financial and professional success he is enjoying right now is yet to be seen. 

See y'all at 930
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

YimBlaylock

Frank Turner doesn't waste a lot of time getting started with this album does he? Eulogy is awesome.
It's all happening.

iLikeBeer

I'm just now getting started with this album. 

This is my first introduction to Frank Turner so bear with me.

YimBlaylock

Also, to add to my previous post, I think Eulogy is really effective because it really sets forward the theme of death that he addresses throughout the album. Starting an album with a song called "Eulogy" really sets the tone. Album is good for a number of reasons, but it's definitely his songwriting that makes it great for me.
It's all happening.

iLikeBeer

Going along the lines of Ruckus' description of many of the songs being of a drink and sing along nature, so far this album is giving off the vibe of sort of a toned down Irish Punk band playing traditional Irish folk songs everyone sings along to in the pubs.

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

YimBlaylock

As far as "I Still Believe" goes, it's weird cause usually I'm not big on songs that are "about" rock and roll and go so far as to address it in the song (they seem sorta hokey to me), and while some of it still doesn't sit quite right with me, this one does seem very sincere. Not my favorite song on the album, but I do like it better than most songs with similar messages.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

My first thoughts were folk punk too. Was Frank Turner in punk bands before doing this?

iLikeBeer

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 12, 2011, 09:47 PM
My first thoughts were folk punk too. Was Frank Turner in punk bands before doing this?

He was.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Oct 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
Going along the lines of Ruckus' description of many of the songs being of a drink and sing along nature, so far this album is giving off the vibe of sort of a toned down Irish Punk band playing traditional Irish folk songs everyone sings along to in the pubs.

Yeah, definitely sing-along songs. Which is perfect for me, because once I know a song, I'm gonna sing along whether that's what the artist intended or not.  :thumbsup:
It's all happening.

iLikeBeer

Rivers is a beatiful song.  His passion for his country really comes through in this song.  Great lyrics and wonderful acoustic guitar.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Oct 12, 2011, 09:52 PM
Rivers is a beatiful song.  His passion for his country really comes through in this song.  Great lyrics and wonderful acoustic guitar.

Agreed. Rivers is a perfect example of that liberal patriotism that Ruckus mentioned.
It's all happening.

YimBlaylock

Question, I may have missed something, but can someone tell me what the H and the C stand for on the album's cover? Obviously, FT is for Frank Turner, but those other two got me stumped.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

i like the folky parts more than the FM pop sound Ruckus alluded to. it's the kind of thing that sounds good on first listen but turns me off after awhile. kind of the same reason I never got into The Gaslight Anthem.

YimBlaylock

English Curse is amazing. I wish my voice was good enough to do a stand-alone track like that.
It's all happening.

iLikeBeer

Man.  I'm really digging this album so far.  I Am Disappeared really grabs you in the way it changes from hard to soft.  The piano really stood out to me in that song as well!  And Frank really seems like quite the songwriter. 

English Curse is another song you could hear being sung in the pubs.  Love the acapello though. 

Definitely going to have to check out more Frank Clark.

Ruckus

Holy crap I'm in!  Glad you guys are listening!  I guess I'll start on the 2nd side now.  Just got the vinyl in the mail today.  What are the chances?!

Ruckus

English curse is the central glue to this album.  Love it!