Forum Album Club #9 Modest Mouse-The Lonesome Crowded West

Started by YimBlaylock, Oct 26, 2011, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 26, 2011, 09:59 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 09:53 PM
So what's up with Isaac Brock, he seems like a pretty crazy guy just from hearing his music.
I've read interviews and he definitely comes across as being a little left of normal. And he's had trouble with drugs and alcohol in the past if I'm not mistaken. If you read about his background, his early life was really messed up. Don't think anyone would come from what he did and still be entirely normal. But he seems like he's really mellowed out in recent years, a guy I'd definitely like to have a conversation with.

It's a shame that a lot of great art comes from immense pain but that's the way it goes. I think I read about his past but I can't remember the details.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

YimBlaylock

Quote from: mjk73 on Oct 26, 2011, 10:01 PM
Seen them many times. They are great. They used to have some awful shows do to being drunk on stage.

True- He's a bit of an odd duck. In some interviews I've read he comes across as a complete dick but in others he seems cool. I know he does or used to drink waaaaay to much.
Yeah, I think he's just a really introverted guy who doesn't care a whole lot for the media or journalists. Doesn't usually make much pretense to care for them either. But in the select interviews where they catch him in a good mood, he seems really interesting. Not sure about the alcohol, but I know I've read that he definitely tries to stay away from the drugs these days.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

Doin' The Cockroach, Cowboy Dan, and trailer Trash is a great section and picks up the album after a couple less conventional songs.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:06 PM
Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 26, 2011, 09:59 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 09:53 PM
So what's up with Isaac Brock, he seems like a pretty crazy guy just from hearing his music.
I've read interviews and he definitely comes across as being a little left of normal. And he's had trouble with drugs and alcohol in the past if I'm not mistaken. If you read about his background, his early life was really messed up. Don't think anyone would come from what he did and still be entirely normal. But he seems like he's really mellowed out in recent years, a guy I'd definitely like to have a conversation with.

It's a shame that a lot of great art comes from immense pain but that's the way it goes. I think I read about his past but I can't remember the details.
Yeah, exact details are sketchy. Homelessness and drugs are thrown in there though. His story's really fascinating and would make for a really good film 10 or 20 years down the road, in my opinion. I really think Modest Mouse will be a band that is still looked at as significant from this era decades from now so I could see it maybe happening. Fingers crossed anyways.
It's all happening.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:09 PM
Doin' The Cockroach, Cowboy Dan, and trailer Trash is a great section and picks up the album after a couple less conventional songs.
Agreed. Cowboy Dan is another song that starts off really chaotic, but then chills into a really beautiful song. And I think Trailer Trash, besides Polar Opposites, would probably be their most accessible song up until Float on came out. It's such a pretty song.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

Long Distance Drunk, back to their less conventional side. The back ground vocals are angelic!

YimBlaylock

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:19 PM
Long Distance Drunk, back to their less conventional side. The back ground vocals are angelic!
I'm not sure why but this song has become one of my favorites to run to.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 26, 2011, 10:16 PM
Agreed. Cowboy Dan is another song that starts off really chaotic, but then chills into a really beautiful song. And I think Trailer Trash, besides Polar Opposites, would probably be their most accessible song up until Float on came out. It's such a pretty song.

I love Float On even if it's popular, who cares? You don't here people say they don't like Crazy by Gnarls Barkley because it's well known.

ManNamedTruth

Shit Luck is badass, it sounds inspired by stoner rock.

ManNamedTruth

Trucker's Atlas starts out awesome, i don't know how i feel about the extended jam towards the end.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:24 PM
Trucker's Atlas starts out awesome, i don't know how i feel about the extended jam towards the end.
If I owned a drum set, I think I'd just kill myself trying to learn how to play this song, then, once I had it down, I wouldn't do anything else ever. Just jam. And I agree about the jam at the end. It seems a little indulgent on their part. Something I'd be cool with live, but for the album, doesn't really add a whole lot.
It's all happening.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:21 PM

I love Float On even if it's popular, who cares? You don't here people say they don't like Crazy by Gnarls Barkley because it's well known.
I agree completely. I hope my statement wasn't mistaken for me being anti-mainstream or whatever. I like it when a band who's really kinda out there, like Modest Mouse, makes a few songs that are more accessible, as long as it doesn't sacrifice what the band is about, which I don't think they've ever done. It makes it easier to try and get other people into the band. I love Teeth Like God's Shoeshine, but doesn't really make a good intro for modest mouse for most people.
It's all happening.

YimBlaylock

It seems like Polar Opposites should have been a hit back when this album was released. I think it fits with some of the alternative 90s music that was going on back then. I love this song so much.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:24 PM
If I owned a drum set, I think I'd just kill myself trying to learn how to play this song, then, once I had it down, I wouldn't do anything else ever. Just jam. And I agree about the jam at the end. It seems a little indulgent on their part. Something I'd be cool with live, but for the album, doesn't really add a whole lot.

Yeah the drums really stand out right off the start of that song. A great drummer can add a lot to a song.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 26, 2011, 10:30 PM

I agree completely. I hope my statement wasn't mistaken for me being anti-mainstream or whatever. I like it when a band who's really kinda out there, like Modest Mouse, makes a few songs that are more accessible, as long as it doesn't sacrifice what the band is about, which I don't think they've ever done. It makes it easier to try and get other people into the band. I love Teeth Like God's Shoeshine, but doesn't really make a good intro for modest mouse for most people.

I didn't think you were being anti-mainstream just wanted to mention that while on the topic of Float On.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:38 PM
Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 26, 2011, 10:30 PM

I didn't think you were being anti-mainstream just wanted to mention that while on the topic of Float On.
Yeah, it's funny how divisive that song has become. Modest Mouse fans were fine with it when the album first came out, but as soon as other people who weren't as "cool" started liking it, it became Modest Mouse's descent into mainstream music, whatever that means anyways. Such a stupid reaction.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 26, 2011, 10:34 PM
It seems like Polar Opposites should have been a hit back when this album was released. I think it fits with some of the alternative 90s music that was going on back then. I love this song so much.

You can say that with almost any good indie album. I can hear a couple songs here and there and think it could be a hit if those people calling the shots allowed it to. But why should they care what some indie band is doing, unless they get those bands to sign to their major label, witch eventually happened to Modest Mouse. I definitely wouldn't call them sell outs or anything.

ManNamedTruth

These last few songs have taken the longest time for me to get into. It's a long album and if it's in my car it usually doesn't last for an entire excursion, and by the time I leave again and it's still in my CD player I'm in the mood for something else.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:44 PM
Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 26, 2011, 10:34 PM

You can say that with almost any good indie album. I can hear a couple songs here and there and think it could be a hit if those people calling the shots allowed it to. But why should they care what some indie band is doing, unless they get those bands to sign to their major label, witch eventually happened to Modest Mouse. I definitely wouldn't call them sell outs or anything.
Great point. I think Isaac Brock has done a great job of staying true to the music he wants to make his entire career. Definitely wouldn't label these guys sell outs.
It's all happening.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 26, 2011, 10:50 PM
These last few songs have taken the longest time for me to get into. It's a long album and if it's in my car it usually doesn't last for an entire excursion, and by the time I leave again and it's still in my CD player I'm in the mood for something else.
Definitely a long album. Other than "Heart Cooks Brain" I pretty much took to all of this album immediately. I know what you mean about the time it takes to get through this thing in your car. Most of my driving consists of short 10-15 minute commutes, so it takes me 3-5 days to get through this album unless I've got a lengthy trip planned out.
It's all happening.