Favorite horror movies/recommendations

Started by seamus, Oct 24, 2010, 07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Quote from: megalicious on Oct 21, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'm more into scary, supernatural flicks than gore. My favorite "scary" movies are listed below. I love watching them this time of year!

The Others
Paranormal Activity Trilogy
The Orphanage
Night of the Living Dead (original)
Insidious
The Omen (original is better, though Liev Schriber brings some hotness to the remake)
The Haunting in Connecticut
Poltergiest (I mean, come on. This movie is all kinds of rad)

I also LOVE the series "A Haunting" that used to run on The Discovery Channel. I love the folklore behind a good ghost story.

And speaking of spooky TV, if you're not watching FX's "American Horror Story," you are missing out. It's amazing; there are so many layers to this show. I'm hooked.

If you like those type of supernatural ghostly horror flicks, you must check out Guillermo del Toro's Spanish-language masterpieces, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth (although it's more imaginative horror). The Devil's Backbone inspired The Orphanage to some extent and it's no suprise that del Toro produced it too. Wonderful horror movies with soul the whole lot of them.

peafunk31

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
I'm more into scary, supernatural flicks than gore. My favorite "scary" movies are listed below. I love watching them this time of year!

The Others
The Orphanage
Insidious
The Omen (original is better, though Liev Schriber brings some hotness to the remake)

I also LOVE the series "A Haunting" that used to run on The Discovery Channel. I love the folklore behind a good ghost story.

And speaking of spooky TV, if you're not watching FX's "American Horror Story," you are missing out. It's amazing; there are so many layers to this show. I'm hooked.

If you like those type of supernatural ghostly horror flicks, you must check out Guillermo del Toro's Spanish-language masterpieces, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth (although it's more imaginative horror). The Devil's Backbone inspired The Orphanage to some extent and it's no suprise that del Toro produced it too. Wonderful horror movies with soul the whole lot of them.

A huge HELL YES to The Devil's Backbone. Great flick

I would also add The Changeling w/ George C Scott (mentioned in a previous post). An absolute classic ghost story. Freaky as hell
Homer no function beer well without.

Jaimoe

Quote from: peafunk31 on Oct 21, 2011, 06:15 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 21, 2011, 05:31 PM

The Others
The Orphanage
Insidious

A huge HELL YES to The Devil's Backbone. Great flick

I would also add The Changeling w/ George C Scott (mentioned in a previous post). An absolute classic ghost story. Freaky as hell

The Changeling is great, scary great. It's one of the best Canadian horror movies (which is no mean feat given David Cronenberg's output). Folks should check out Ghost Story too. It's the 1980 adaptation of a Peter Straub novel.

I have a friend who's girlfriend stopped watching the second season of TV show Supernatural because it creeped her out too much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that show, especially some of the stand-alone episodes, is more creatively scary than most of what Hollywood force-feeds into theatres. BTW, I hear the new Paranormal Activity is quite good.

ManNamedTruth

I've recently watched I Saw The Devil, and Dario Argento's Phenomena, two films I'd definitely recommend. I Saw The Devil was just as good as The Chaser, the kind of movies that witch ever one I last watched would be my favorite. I think the pimp in The Chaser was a more likable character than either guys in ISTD.
Phenomena is a bizarre movie, this was my first time seeing an Argento film. His style on this was like a B movie horror version of Hitchcock on acid. The soundtrack/score was a lot of fun, featuring Motorhead and Iron Maiden. The ending was very bizarre and gorier than I typically go for. Perfect movie for Halloween. It also should be noted this stars a young Jennifer Connelly.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

capt. scotty

Watched Session 9 last night...The creepiness factor really sneaks up on you. Its on Netflix instant watch
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 29, 2011, 04:42 PM
Watched Session 9 last night...The creepiness factor really sneaks up on you. Its on Netflix instant watch

THAT. MOVIE.  IS.  FUCKING. AWESOME!  I remember picking it out randomly and being like, "HolEEE Sheeit this is a mind fucker!"

Also totally love John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing"--for me the absolute best horror flick out there.  I am kind of waffling on whether to watch the new remake due out shortly (or maybe its out now?).
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Jaimoe

I watched it around 5 years ago. It's quite good, although somewhat uneven. The great Scottish character actor, Peter Mullan (Riff-Raff, Braveheart, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Pt. 1), is fucking fantastic. And kudos go to David Caruso for not overacting, for once. It should've done better at the box-office, but seeing it on video pehaps works better.

peafunk31

So, what's everyone going to watch tonight for Halloween? I'm going to watch Rob Zombie's Halloween remake. My buddy's wife hasn't seen it yet so that's what we're going with.
Homer no function beer well without.

johnnYYac

Knowing my wife, it'll need to be Young Frankenstein or Shaun of the Dead.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

capt. scotty

Watched House of the Devil last night because it was recommended by Netflix for me (its on instant watch). Liked it a lot. It came out a couple years ago, but was going for/based in the late 70's/early 80's and thought they really pulled that aspect up. Tom Noonan increases the suspense in the middle of the movie, and I thought the last act was good for some scares. One of the better american horror films Ive seen in awhile.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

I'm thinking of watching a classic such as Boris Karloff's The Body Snatcher or The Ghoul, or one of the Christopher Lee and/or Peter Cushing Hammer films I recorded on TCM.

dragonboy

Saw [.Rec] last night. Started out as a so-so infected/zombie movie but took a pretty dark & disturbing turn right at the end.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 29, 2011, 04:58 PM

I watched it around 5 years ago. It's quite good, although somewhat uneven. The great Scottish character actor, Peter Mullan (Riff-Raff, Braveheart, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Pt. 1), is fucking fantastic. And kudos go to David Caruso for not overacting, for once. It should've done better at the box-office, but seeing it on video pehaps works better.

If you're going to mention Peter Mullan why not list one of his better films (My Name Is Joe, NEDS, Tyrannosaur)?  ::)

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ManNamedTruth

Got The Descent from Netflix today so probably gonna go with that. If I can fit 2 movies in I'd like to watch The Orphanage as well.

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 31, 2011, 04:02 PM
Got The Descent from Netflix today so probably gonna go with that. If I can fit 2 movies in I'd like to watch The Orphanage as well.

Have you ever seen The Descent yet? Its pretty solid. I liked The Cave as well but more people talk about The Descent.

Ive actually never seen the Orphanage but bought it at the used music/dvd store the other day for $2.50 (bought The Prestige as well for $2.50, seen that though) just based on never hearing anybody say anything but it being 1 of the best horros of the last decade.

Jaimoe

Quote from: dragonboy on Oct 31, 2011, 03:34 PM

If you're going to mention Peter Mullan why not list one of his better films (My Name Is Joe, NEDS, Tyrannosaur)?  ::)

I mentioned stuff Americans might know, unlike us Commonwealth film fans.

Jaimoe

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2011, 05:03 PM

Have you ever seen The Descent yet? Its pretty solid. I liked The Cave as well but more people talk about The Descent.

Ive actually never seen the Orphanage but bought it at the used music/dvd store the other day for $2.50 (bought The Prestige as well for $2.50, seen that though) just based on never hearing anybody say anything but it being 1 of the best horros of the last decade.

Watch del Toro's The Devil's Backbone first. The Orphanage is heavily inspired by that film but not as great, but still a good movie.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 31, 2011, 11:19 PM

Watch del Toro's The Devil's Backbone first. The Orphanage is heavily inspired by that film but not as great, but still a good movie.

No haven't seen it yet, about to put it on soon. The Devil's Backbone is excellent too, but it's not necessary to see one before the other, especially since you now own The Orphanage.
Has anyone else seen Phenomena witch I mentioned earlier? Jaimoe?

dragonboy

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 31, 2011, 11:17 PM
Quote from: dragonboy on Oct 31, 2011, 03:34 PM

I mentioned stuff Americans might know, unlike us Commonwealth film fans.

Fair enough ;D

Jaimoe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Nov 01, 2011, 12:13 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 31, 2011, 11:19 PM

No haven't seen it yet, about to put it on soon. The Devil's Backbone is excellent too, but it's not necessary to see one before the other, especially since you now own The Orphanage.
Has anyone else seen Phenomena witch I mentioned earlier? Jaimoe?

No. I'll have to check it out.

I watched The Innocents (1961) last night. It's a ghost/possession and haunted house story co-written by Truman Capote and stars the excellent Deborah Kerr and co-stars Michael Redgrave. Kerr plays a governess of a mansion that was hired to look after two siblings in the charge of their distant uncle (Redgrave). It's a take on Henry James' The Turn of the Screw and it's very good - and full of suspense and dread. The kids seem normal at first (and might be normal), and the mansion might or might not be haunted. Kerr isn't really sure what's what and neither do we, although those kids are creepy, especially the boy Miles (a gifted child actor who was also in Village of the Damned). Personally, I think the house is haunted and the kids know what's going on, but then again, it's left to your interpretation and Kerr could be the victim of manipulation. This is a very influential film and I'm glad it was on TCM last night.