Broken Social Scene are done.

Started by Jaimoe, Nov 08, 2011, 05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

So that's what I'm hearing today, here in their hometown. I tried to love this band, but never did. A few really great tunes spotted their catalogue, but I think the majority are a frustrating listen because they should've been even better. BSS didn't go for the jugular enough even when it was there for the offering, especially on the latest album. At least we'll have more from their many side/solo projects to look forward to.

Luna Moth

they were great opening for tv on the radio this past tour.. i thought the present purpose of the band was for alot of different people to join in on it.. so if the original members who started it bail.. why dont others just take their place? its not that hard to come up with a good indie hipster flannel band anyway. even if it sucks someone will say its your attitude or approach.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Luna Moth on Nov 09, 2011, 11:44 AM
they were great opening for tv on the radio this past tour.. i thought the present purpose of the band was for alot of different people to join in on it.. so if the original members who started it bail.. why dont others just take their place? its not that hard to come up with a good indie hipster flannel band anyway. even if it sucks someone will say its your attitude or approach.

The heart and soul core are Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning. If they are going their separate ways, then you can't replace them. Also, BSS already "replaced" ex-star supporting members Feist, Emily Haines (Metric), Jason Collett, Amy Millan (Stars) and Andrew Whiteman (Apostle of Hustle). It's interesting that Feist, Metric and (arguably) Stars are bigger than BSS. Collett is a fantastic singer-songwriter in his own right (well known in the indie circles) and Apostle of Hustle kick ass.

Ghosts_on_TV

Id imagine Kevin Drew could take it on himself if he wanted to. Maybe he doesn't?
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Jaimoe

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Nov 09, 2011, 01:20 PM
Id imagine Kevin Drew could take it on himself if he wanted to. Maybe he doesn't?

He said their concert in Toronto a few days ago was their last. He's the leader so it's his call. He probably already has several projects on the ready.

ALady

This news is about a month old.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

el_chode

I loved the S/T from a few years back. Then again, it was described to me as "an exercise in pulling order from chaos" and for some reason it made sense and it is that aspect that I love about it - some of it sounds so disjointed at times that when the melody pokes its head out, the contrast really brings it out. It's the same reason I love the breakdown in Reba by Phish so much - the whole band seems to totally disintegrate until it's just the bass then piano holding it down as that sustained guitar note comes sailing from the darkness.
I'm surrounded by assholes

wolof7

I love Broken Social Scene...I am sorry to see them go if it is indeed permanent. I have seen them 2x and both times were amazing concert experieneces. Every once in awhile, I throw on Superconnected, 7/4 (shoreline), looks  just like the sun, or anthems and just bathe in the joy that these people can create through their music.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

kotchishm

Playing Fallon tonight.  Also they are playing the Field Trip Music & Arts Festival on June 8 in Toronto and will play "You Forgot It In People" in it's entirety.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

LeanneP

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/broken-social-scene-and-feist-reunite-on-fallon-20130607

Love it!  Brendan's Pollard-esque high kick is hilarious!

Both songs are in that article.

I saw them at Supercrawl two years ago and just "watched" from backstage. It was a blast. Nice to see Lesley joining for the show tomorrow. Won't be able to go to it, but they put on a great show.

Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

LeanneP

In case you haven't seen it (I haven't read backwards in the thread, so apologies if this is more of a bump), here is the Hulu link to the movie This Movie Is Broken which features a BSS concert. The live footage is awesome. It's a Bruce McDonald film.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/403824
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Jaimoe

Quote from: LeanneP on Jun 07, 2013, 10:27 AM
In case you haven't seen it (I haven't read backwards in the thread, so apologies if this is more of a bump), here is the Hulu link to the movie This Movie Is Broken which features a BSS concert. The live footage is awesome. It's a Bruce McDonald film.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/403824

I'm still no fan of their studio work, but they are a good live band. BTW, the work of the great Bruce McDonald, unfortunately, means virtually nothing to Americans (and every true fan of rock and roll needs to watch his film Hard Core Logo).