Forum Album Club #11 - The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Started by iLikeBeer, Nov 09, 2011, 06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Hey everyone.  Just thought I'd give a brief synopsis of tonight's album. 

Back in the late 80's there was a scene in Manchester England know as Madchester that spawned quite a few good bands including The Charlatans, Happy Mondays, The Inspiral Carpets and of course,  my favorite band coming out of the Madchester scene, The Stone Roses.  Their sound was so fresh and new compared to other bands coming out of England at the time like The Smiths and The Cure.  It was their catchy guitar riffs with John Squire and his wah wah pedal and the mesmerising drum beats of Reni and of course Ian Brown's voice that made me come to really love this band and more specifically, this album.  It was also the cocky and arrogant nature of their frontman, Ian Brown, that also drew me to this band as I was quite the cocky smartass in those days as well.   8)  I loved how they would always proclaim they were not just the best fucking band in Manchester or in England, but they were the best fucking band in the world! 

As for this album, if you aren't familiar with it, I hope you enjoy what you are about to partake in.  My own personal feelings about this record are that it starts out with such a statement song in I Wanna Be Adored and really doesn't lose any steam until the powerful 3 song finish of This Is The One > I Am The Resurrection > Fools Gold!

Hope everyone enjoys... Cheers! :beer:

mjk73

John Squire is one of the best UK guitarists in the last 30 years.

iLikeBeer

iLikeBeer

I just love the build up of the opener.  The bassline gets stronger along with the drums and Squire's tickling of the guitar until the song just kicks in!

And yes, Squire is one hell of a guitarist!

wolof7

Whoa man. What a listen....I have to say I'd only heard of the Stone Roses before tonight, never knew how good they were, I got it right away...thanks ILBeer for suggesting this album.

First impressions made me think of a British REM/Miracle Legion but with more guitar power!

Adored is a perfect opening track, pulled me right in, mostly due to the pop drone and Ian Brown's vocals.

Also good to see John Leckie's involvement as producer...he's only been on board with Pink Floyd's Meddle, producer for The Bends and Z to only name a few  :thumbsup:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mjk73

iLikeBeer

It's really too bad they got all muddled up in legal issues because I don't think they ever really recaptured the magic of this album.  Second Coming took 5 years as a follow up and for such a highly anticipated follow-up, it didn't come close to living up to expectations.

mjk73

She Bangs the Drums may be my favorite song of theirs.

wolof7

She bangs the drums is quite a fun tune....they really nail that alternative psych pop, now I know who influenced Kula Shaker and the Coral

mjk73

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 09, 2011, 09:33 PM

And yes, Squire is one hell of a guitarist!
He really cuts loose on Second Coming however. Cocaines a helluva drug

iLikeBeer

Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 09, 2011, 09:36 PM
Such a fantastic album.

Yes it is.  This album was released just before I graduated from high school and it was the perfect album to listen to over and over and over in that glorious summer! 

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite.  As I said in the opener, the whole album really just flows from one great song to another as Elephant Stone is another great one!

wolof7

Waterfall is a gorgeous tune....man that acoustic interlude and Squire's guitar work is understated but distorted through the jangle and quite the jam at the end, really awesome track :beer:

iLikeBeer

Quote from: wolof7 on Nov 09, 2011, 09:38 PM
She bangs the drums is quite a fun tune....they really nail that alternative psych pop, now I know who influenced Kula Shaker and the Coral

Yep.  They influenced a boatload of future bands from across the pond.  IMO, they were the biggest thing coming out of England since The Beatles and the Stones...

wolof7

I wish I was going into college when this album came out but i was only 6. If I was I would have eaten this up....surprised I never stumbled into even when I was in college, I would have dug their jams and I was listening to a lot of stuff from across the pond.

mjk73

This album and the La's pretty much ushered the rise of Britpop. Waterfall is pretty glorious. ByeBye Bad Man is one that starts off as one you are not sure you are going to like then by the end you are like fuck, this is so good.

wolof7

Don't Stop was my least favorite track, it's probably gonna take another listen or two to get behind the psychedelics...

Bye Bye Badman on the other hand is brilliant.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: wolof7 on Nov 09, 2011, 09:43 PM
I wish I was going into college when this album came out but i was only 6. If I was I would have eaten this up....surprised I never stumbled into even when I was in college, I would have dug their jams and I was listening to a lot of stuff from across the pond.

Yeah, their jams are one of the things that really separated this band from the others IMO.  I love how they just would go off in so many songs... 

iLikeBeer

Yeah, Don't Stop is probably the only track on this album I could do without.  Although, if you're in the right frame of mind, it's freaking killer...  8)

iLikeBeer

Bye Bye Bad Man is so understated, but you can really see the brilliance of Squire in this song!

iLikeBeer

Elizabeth My Dear was a short diddy, but it packed a powerful punch in pointing out the Roses' disdain for the monarchy.