Forum Album Club #11 - The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Started by iLikeBeer, Nov 09, 2011, 06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

wolof7

Sugar spun sister is a great example of each member adding their own touch...the drummer and guitarist of this band I want to look into more....The vocals on this track are standout and this second time around I can hear the aggorance in his voice on this track, really great....

....Made of Stone is hands down my favorite song at this time.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mjk73

This is the One on anthemic. I just want to shout This is the one THIS IS THE ONE every time I hear it.

iLikeBeer

Man.  I just keep thinking, Sugar Spun was one of my favorites and then they start into Made of Stone and I'm like, that's pretty damn good too.  And then Shoot You Down starts...  :D

Shoot You Down is like the calm before that epic 3 song ending!   8)  Like they knew they just had to let you catch your breath.   :)

iLikeBeer

Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 09, 2011, 09:58 PM
I just want to shout This is the one THIS IS THE ONE every time I hear it.

Yes!

mjk73

mjk73

I really do hope that when they do the inevitable US reunion tour, they hit St Louis or remotely close to St Louis so I can see and enjoy life for a few hours.

wolof7

I guess I didn't listen to This is the One on my first listen, this song is great too Great anthemic guitar work and vocals, makes me feel like my legacy is secure!!!

iLikeBeer

I love hearing Reni and Mani playing off each other at the start of I Am The Resurrection.  And then again in the jam... 

And a great fucking jam it is to end this one!  I think because of the jam at the end, this pushes Resurrection over the top for me as my favorite on this album! 

iLikeBeer

Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 09, 2011, 10:06 PM
I really do hope that when they do the inevitable US reunion tour, they hit St Louis or remotely close to St Louis so I can see and enjoy life for a few hours.

One regret I always had with this band was that I never got to see these boys live.  And you can be damned sure I'm not going to miss my chance this time around!  I don't care how far I have to go, I'm going to see them live!

wolof7

This album sounds like a bunch of great musicians jamming in a room the production is great.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 09, 2011, 10:04 PM
The funky guitar on Fools Gold makes me happy

Wah Wah at its finest!  Again, the jam on Fools Gold sets this song apart as one of my faves on this album. 

wolof7

man the opening jam on Fools Gold is much much better on second listen.

Allright I'm off, great pick!!!

mjk73

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 09, 2011, 10:15 PM

One regret I always had with this band was that I never got to see these boys live.  And you can be damned sure I'm not going to miss my chance this time around!  I don't care how far I have to go, I'm going to see them live!
I foresee them playing Chicago and KC and skipping here. I may be travelling to see them.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: wolof7 on Nov 09, 2011, 10:16 PM
This album sounds like a bunch of great musicians jamming in a room the production is great.

Their brash cockiness was very much understandable when you listen to this record!

Second Coming has it's moments, but as the much anticipated, 5 years in the making follow up to this masterpiece, it's easy to see why they fell far short of expectations.

I'm interested to see if they are going to be putting out any new material now that all the mates are back together.  There are rumors that a new album or at least some new songs could accompany the reunion tour.  I can only hope! 

iLikeBeer

Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 09, 2011, 10:21 PM

I foresee them playing Chicago and KC and skipping here. I may be travelling to see them.
Yeah, I forsee myself having to make the trek to Chicago to see them.  Not that I'm complaining about having to go to Chicago.  :P  Cleveland has to be a stop though.  I mean we have the Rock Hall in C'town!  Maybe I can foresee a Detroit show as well?  All would be doable for me.   8)

Penny Lane

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 09, 2011, 10:26 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 09, 2011, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I forsee myself having to make the trek to Chicago to see them.  Not that I'm complaining about having to go to Chicago.  :P  Cleveland has to be a stop though.  I mean we have the Rock Hall in C'town!  Maybe I can foresee a Detroit show as well?  All would be doable for me.   8)

i can't wait...i'll see them somewhere...even if i'm no longer in NYC by then...i WILL SEE THEM
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Fool's Gold is my f-in jam!

And my college roommate's jam was Made of Stone...she LOVED that song....

sometimes...iiiiiiii ...fan--tuh---siiiiiize, when the streets are cold and lonely and the cars they burn below me, don't these tiiiiiiiiiimes, fill your eeeeyyyyyyeeeeesss.

if you listen to early Oasis bootlegs (which I know you don't), Liam sings just like Ian...it's so crazy...he found his own voice later on but back then....he was everyone's hero..

one more thing: SQUIRE RULES!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73