Question:  Why does JJ signature include a #?

Started by Johnny_Yac, Feb 18, 2010, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmk

QuoteThe bball thing cracks me up - I can definitely see that being the case for Yimbo.  It's also funny b/c 37 is an impossible bball number.

Hmm?

Each digit in a basketball number has to be 5 or below, like 34, 55, 15, and on.  You can have any combo of 1 to 5, just nothing 6 or over.  I know one of the reasons is so that the refs can hand-signal the fouls to the scorer's table, because you can't have a higher number than the amount of fingers on each hand.

That's not true, though. For instance, Ron Artest is currently #37 and was #93 on the Kings. Bynum and Vujacic are #17 and #18 respectively. Jason Kapono is #72. Hedo is #26. There are many others, too.

Just an FYI, I guess.

Don Dante

QuoteThe bball thing cracks me up - I can definitely see that being the case for Yimbo.  It's also funny b/c 37 is an impossible bball number.

Hmm?

Each digit in a basketball number has to be 5 or below, like 34, 55, 15, and on.  You can have any combo of 1 to 5, just nothing 6 or over.  I know one of the reasons is so that the refs can hand-signal the fouls to the scorer's table, because you can't have a higher number than the amount of fingers on each hand.

That's not true, though. For instance, Ron Artest is currently #37 and was #93 on the Kings. Bynum and Vujacic are #17 and #18 respectively. Jason Kapono is #72. Hedo is #26. There are many others, too.

Just an FYI, I guess.

You be right - just looked it up.  The NBA never adopted the rule - hence Bill Russell was #6, Dennis Rodman was #91, and Kobe was #8.  But it's still a rule in high school and college, so it makes sense that it is still rare in the NBA since they are maintained coming up from the lower levels.  Hooray for random trivia - apologies to those who didn't really care to find this out.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

.Walt

That's funny. I can't draw, so in class I would practice my autograph and always include a number for whatever reason. Jim has such a great sense of humor.  ;D
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

rmpotsy

ive only seen 32, but seen it multiple times.  i always hoped it was for dejuan wheat.
out go the lights it begins

st. john

vespa i love u. u made my day.  :-*
hope it's O's nes no. and not check out date. rock does a killer a on those actuarial counts.

Bigsky

QuoteI'm pretty sure it's his waistsize.  YY is pretty vain and he likes to keep track of his weight fluctuations.  By signing with it, he keeps himself on his game.

;D

JJ might be a 37, but there is no way he's a 31

johnnYYac

So, I guess I never really got an answer to my original question, or did I?   :-/
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

aMillionDreams

QuoteSo, I guess I never really got an answer to my original question, or did I?   :-/

Yes, you did.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

johnnYYac

QuoteIt's just Jim living out his fantasy of being a star basketball player and signing autographs for his fans.

Really, my bad.  I sensed a lot of sarcasm and silliness with what is a sarcastic and silly topic, I suppose.  Thanks!

AMightyCaporal

QuoteIt's just Jim living out his fantasy of being a star basketball player and signing autographs for his fans.

I believe that this is the answer aMD was referring to Johnny.  I believe he is correct, I've read a few articles where they bring up playing basketball against... I think pearl jam
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

johnnYYac

So I reread this whole thread and realize I wasn't apparently listening to Dylan or later Jon T. who was trying to tell me Dylan was being serious.  Sorry.  I should never have doubted you.  My wife will tell you I'm a great talker but so-so listener.  Thanks!

jones

QuoteI read in an interview that it is his jersey number on an intramural basketball team.

I was trying to be cute, but what I didn't realize was that I wasn't too far off from the truth according to Dylan's post right after mine.  Sorry JohnYY, smartass is my first language.

[smiley=evil.gif]

By the way, it was a good question.

woodnymph

I believe that this is the answer aMD was referring to Johnny.  I believe he is correct, I've read a few articles where they bring up playing basketball against... I think pearl jam
Hahahahahaha that's awesome

As is vespa's theory!

I didn't look hard enough at the vinyl I had him sign.... silly me, it was actually his PHONE number, he just started running out of room after the 3 and the 7 and the rest of the digits are tiny..... shewwt :-X
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time