MMJ drive by, then Pete Townsend

Started by Tracy 2112, Nov 13, 2011, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

So, I cue up the Pete Townsend clip to watch him do Drowned on Jools Holland and the camera starts sweeping in and there's a guy behind a drum set that looks like Patrick and then is that Jim?...   pretty cool (then an "over the Bo-ulder shot at 2:36)

Pete Townshend - Drowned (Later with Jools Holland)

Pete talks Quadrophenia

Pete Townshend Interview on Later with Jools Holland - Nov 2011

I'm One

Pete Townshend - I'm One [Later Live... with Jools Holland]
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Thanks Tracy. The Who have been my favourite band for over 30 years. Lively performance from Pete and his voice is in fairly good form if not a wee bit dramatic. The best solo "Drowned" (that I've heard) is still from The Secret Policeman's Ball from 1979. Actually, it may be the best-ever version including the 1973 original from Quadrophenia.

Pete Townshend - 1979 Secret Policeman's Ball Drowned

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 13, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks Tracy. The Who have been my favourite band for over 30 years. Lively performance from Pete and his voice is in fairly good form if not a wee bit dramatic. The best solo "Drowned" (that I've heard) is still from The Secret Policeman's Ball from 1979. Actually, it may be the best-ever version including the 1973 original from Quadrophenia.

Pete Townshend - 1979 Secret Policeman's Ball Drowned

Agree on that Drowned clip from 1979. I was fortunate enough to see him do Drowned in 2000 at Shoreline Amphitheater while on my honeymoon.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

"Drowned" is one of the songs that highlights exactly why Pete remains the most fierce acoustic guitarist in rock.

mjk73

Good lord, he just ripped through chords like an effing madman