Main Menu

R. L. Burnside

Started by Tracy 2112, Nov 22, 2011, 10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Fully

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 22, 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm just sayin'...

R.L. Burnside: See My Jumper Hanging On the Line (1978)

I love him! When "Ass Pocket Full of Whiskey" comes up on shuffle, I just giggle. His more serious music is great too. He appears in the 2004 Bonnaroo video with the Mississippi All Stars, if I'm not mistaken. He's old and sitting on a throne as they perform. (I may be mixing him up with someone else, but I don't think so.)

Ruckus

Great thread Tracy :thumbsup:  When I first began listening to the blues, I obligatorily purchased some BB King, Hound Dog Taylor, Junior Wells, Muddy Waters, etc.  They were all great and I still worship Junior Wells' Hoodoo Man Blues, but I got bored in its redundancy.  Of course any hardcore blues head would tell me to f off and at the time, I had never listened to Burnside's old stuff.

Then towards the end of undergrad, my friend introduced me to Come On In.  That album blew me away and I got my introduction to R.L. Burnside.  I was made aware of how divisive an album it was in the blues community because of its hip hop/electronic fusion, but that was what drew me in.  Even now when I pop it in, it doesn't sound dated and stands as one of my favorite albums.  It was fusion done right.

Now I await a beat down from Jaimoe  ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jaimoe

No beatdown. R.L. is great. I also recommened his scarier rival, Junior Kimbrough. If you love R.L. and haven't done it yet, seek out Kimbrough's haunting primal music. And a must-own Kimbrough tribute EP is Chulahoma by The Black Keys. Both Kimbrough and Burnside were "discovered" by Robert Palmer (music writer, not cheesy singer) and Dave Stewart in the revered Deep Blues documentary from the early '90s.

Several acts basically "borrowed" Kimbrough's sound including Black Keys and North Mississippi Allstars.

baby please dont leave me - junior kimbrough.wmv

Junior Kimbrough - All Night Long.wmv

Fully

There was a documentary on PBS that I saw awhile back where Burnside was visited by some whiteboys who ran their record company. Perhaps it was Palmer, who you mentioned, Ruckus. I remember that they were trying to get Burnside to go to the dentist and he wouldn't go. I would love to watch it again, but I can't remember the name of it. Does that ring a bell with any of you?  Sorry, I'm  so vague; my memory seems to have run away from me. Also, great Junior Kimbrough songs there, Jaimoe!

Jaimoe

Quote from: Fully on Nov 22, 2011, 10:14 PM
There was a documentary on PBS that I saw awhile back where Burnside was visited by some whiteboys who ran their record company. Perhaps it was Palmer, who you mentioned, Ruckus. I remember that they were trying to get Burnside to go to the dentist and he wouldn't go. I would love to watch it again, but I can't remember the name of it. Does that ring a bell with any of you?  Sorry, I'm  so vague; my memory seems to have run away from me. Also, great Junior Kimbrough songs there, Jaimoe!

I referred to Robert Palmer and Dave Stewart (of the Eurythmics fame). They produced the Deep Blues documentary from the early '90s. Here's 2 clips from Deep Blues, the first  featuring Burnside, Palmer and Stewart and the latter captures a raw liver performance by Kimbrough at his juke joint in hill country Chulahoma, Mississipi:

Deep Blues - R.L Burnside, Dave Stewart and Robert Palmer

Junior Kimbrough - All Night Long

Fully

Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 22, 2011, 10:35 PM
Quote from: Fully on Nov 22, 2011, 10:14 PM

I referred to Robert Palmer and Dave Stewart (of the Eurythmics fame). They produced the Deep Blues documentary from the early '90s. Here's 2 clips from Deep Blues, the first  featuring Burnside, Palmer and Stewart and the latter captures a raw liver performance by Kimbrough at his juke joint in hill country Chulahoma, Mississipi:

Deep Blues - R.L Burnside, Dave Stewart and Robert Palmer

Junior Kimbrough - All Night Long
That's it!!!  Amazing! My memory of the doc was pretty vague. Now I have something to watch over the long weekend, if I can ever get finished taking kids to the doctor. (I've got three and they've all got me running all week :(

Lunchbox

i love that joke he tells on his Burnside On Burnside album...

Ruckus

Remixed and all, this is what did it for me.  Cedric on the drums is just funky sick!

R.L. Burnside - Let My Baby Ride
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Yeah, thanks for hookin that album up Ruckus!

To you, Jaimoe, or whoever - whats the best next step for RL or Kimbrough? (I do gots Chulahoma)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Quote from: capt. scotty on Nov 30, 2011, 11:23 PM

To you, Jaimoe, or whoever - whats the best next step for RL or Kimbrough? (I do gots Chulahoma)

Get Kimbrough's All Night Long album (contains "Work Me Baby", "All Night Long", "Meet Me in the City", "Done Got Old"); it's a haunting masterpiece (Chulahoma covers some of the best songs on this record and you really can hear Kimbrough's influence on the Black Keys throughout) : http://www.allmusic.com/album/all-night-long-r176963

I don't own this Kimbrough, but have listened to a number of the songs and they scare the hell out of me... so I must get this ASAP: http://www.allmusic.com/album/most-things-havent-worked-out-r256658

Stick to AMG's recomendations. The site rarely steers you wrong (I'd start with the early stuff and work up): http://www.allmusic.com/artist/rl-burnside-p33736/discography

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 30, 2011, 11:43 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Nov 30, 2011, 11:23 PM

Get Kimbrough's All Night Long album (contains "Work Me Baby", "All Night Long", "Meet Me in the City", "Done Got Old"); it's a haunting masterpiece (Chulahoma covers some of the best songs on this record and you really can hear Kimbrough's influence on the Black Keys throughout) : http://www.allmusic.com/album/all-night-long-r176963

I don't own this Kimbrough, but have listened to a number of the songs and they scare the hell out of me... so I must get this ASAP: http://www.allmusic.com/album/most-things-havent-worked-out-r256658

Stick to AMG's recomendations. The site rarely steers you wrong (I'd start with the early stuff and work up): http://www.allmusic.com/artist/rl-burnside-p33736/discography

The Deep Blues movie and Fat Possum kicked these guys out into the public light. I visited Kimbroughs juke joint a couple of times up from Ole Miss.
Buy local > http://www.fatpossum.com/
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.