Main Menu

Taj Mahal

Started by Fully, Nov 26, 2011, 09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

oistheone

Taj Mahal is the man. His first album is amazing and his second is one of my favorites of all time. You gotta hear his take on "You Don't Miss Your Water". Taj put the soul back in the blues.

Taj Mahal - You Don't Miss Your Water

Jaimoe

This fucking rocks! Love love love the late great Jesse Ed Davis ripping it up. Unfortunately I can't find the video portion, but here's the live audio track from their stellar performance on The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (1967):

Taj Mahal - Ain't That A Lot Of Love

This is one of his prettiest and most beloved tunes. I obsessed to find this tune around 5 years ago and then realized I already owned the album:

Taj Mahal - Queen Bee

And this version (with Ry Cooder on guitar) inspired Duane Allman to start playing slide when his hand was in a cast:

Taj Mahal : Statesboro Blues

EasyRyder

Taj Mahal : EZ Rider

with a well-timed debut album in '68, Taj is definitely one of the most influential of the "modern day" bluesman- you can definitely feel the Hendrix vibes in this one  ;)
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Fully

He opened for the Rolling Stones some on the 72 tour. Stanley Bouris wrote about him and that's what first led me to listen to him. He does have some Hendrix elements to him. I really enjoy his music. (On a side note, I had a student named Tahmah last year, she always hated it when I called her "Tahmah Hall" She thought I was talking about the building, but I was really referring to this guy). I like his take on Stateboro Blues too.

woodnymph

Quote from: Fully on Nov 26, 2011, 09:41 PM(On a side note, I had a student named Tahmah last year, she always hated it when I called her "Tahmah Hall" She thought I was talking about the building, but I was really referring to this guy).

;D  That's hilarious!  I love this guy too, great thread!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

capt. scotty

Big Taj fan...Me singing drunk to Leavin' Trunk was actually my voicemail for a few months in college. Ah, the days where you didnt have to sound so fuckin proper on you voicemail  ;D

I should really get more of his music

Wild Ox Moan - Taj Mahal
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons