Main Menu

The Roots: Undun

Started by SmokinShootin, Nov 29, 2011, 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinShootin

On December 6th The Roots are releasing their 13th studio album and its a concept album.

The ROOTS Ft. BIG K.R.I.T. - "MAKE MY"

Undun is an existential re-telling of the short life of one Redford Stephens (1974-1999). Through the use of emotives and Redford's internal dialogues the album seeks to illustrate the intersection of free will and prescribed destiny as it plays out 'on the corner'. Utilizing a reverse narrative arc, the album begins as the listener finds Redford disoriented--postmortem--and attempting to make sense of his former life. As he moves through its pivotal moments he begins to deconstruct all that has led to his (and our own) coming undun.

Read more about the album here: http://www.npr.org/2011/11/28/142873013/first-listen-the-roots-undun?ps=mh_frhdl1

I am super excited about this album!  I think its the best album coming out on December 6th for sure (The Black Keys are also releasing El Camino of the 6th). 

ironmike

the album can be found at musicconsortium.blogspot.com    it is excellent

ManNamedTruth

Looking forward to this! The Roots are amazingly consistent with their releases, witch is hard for a band that's been around as long as they have.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

capt. scotty

Sounds cool  :thumbsup:

For how much I like The Roots, Im kind of shocked I dont have Game Theory, Rising Down, or How I Got Over yet (have all their previous albums except for Organix)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Nov 30, 2011, 05:49 PM
Looking forward to this! The Roots are amazingly consistent with their releases, witch is hard for a band that's been around as long as they have.
I agree with this.  Whether it appealed to me or not, I don't think they've ever put out something horribly artistically compromised.  DYWM - Things Fall Apart were 3 masterpieces.  I didn't care at all for Phrenology and Tipping Point was the last album that I really enjoyed by them.  The fanbase has changed sooo much that the live experience is so different from the 90's.

I'd been hesitant to listen to this one because How I Got Over was raved about and it never had any lasting power with me.

Now comes this.  I love that they went the way of the concept album and upon 1st listen, I dig it :thumbsup:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Well done Roots.  Back on top of your game.  Jumps into my top 10 for the year I think.

One Time->Stomp just kills!  ?est's raw beats never fail me :o

smhoffmann02

Streaming now.  Thanks for this...
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

Ghosts_on_TV

Like it a lot on first listen. Probably end up in my top ten somewhere.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

capt. scotty

Anywhere to d/l this?? PMs work
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

My new album of the year!  Can't stop listening.  Memories of of '95 all over again

NoVa_NoLa

I haven't listened yet, but I put this on my wishlist after seeing Flea tout it about 50 times on twitter...if it's good enough for Flea... ;D

Ruckus

Quote from: NoVa_NoLa on Dec 22, 2011, 02:39 PM
I haven't listened yet, but I put this on my wishlist after seeing Flea tout it about 50 times on twitter...if it's good enough for Flea... ;D
Good to know you follow Flea ;D  Dude should stick to being a nihilist

EasyRyder

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 01, 2011, 12:13 PM
One Time->Stomp just kills!  ?est's raw beats never fail me :o

mmmmmmhmmmmmmm. RS did a great article confirming my admiration for Questlove. Here's a bit of it:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/questlove-the-coolest-man-on-late-night-is-still-nervous-around-girls-20111207

They're show @ Hangout in 2010 blew me away. I had no idea they could pull off that kind of set, hopin' to see them play this new stuff soon
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Come Closer

I'm enjoying this as well. Also any Common fans that haven't heard his new one need to get on it. Like yesterday. I'm loving it.