Afghan Whigs/Greg Dulli

Started by mjk73, Dec 07, 2011, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

As much as I'd love a full and proper reunion, I really, really doubt it.  It was an absolute SHOCK that they're even playing together at all.  Dulli had always totally shit on the idea when asked about it even though he and John Curley were never on bad terms, and Curley even played on some Twilight Singers songs.  I always had the feeling that Dulli and McCollum might have had some issues (Dulli even compared McCollum's Moon Mann stuff to Wang Chung), which is a shame, because I always thought that McCollum's playing had almost as much to do with the Whig's sound as Dulli.

All of the shows that they have booked are Euro-fests with the exception of ATP in New Jersey, an Ameri-fest.  Even that Soungarden date is some kind of mini-fest as far as I can tell (I can't read Italian, but there's at least 4 bands playing).

That being said, I bet they book some more Ameri-fests.  Their last Euro-fest date is June 9 and they don't play Jersey until September 22.  Just seems strange to take a 3 month-plus break between playing shows.  Especially when the Twilight Singers just finished touring behind Dynamite Steps and we usually have to wait multiple years for new TS releases.

There's been at least a 2-week delay in announcing the ATP Jersey line-up if that means anything. Forecastle seems very logical.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

tdb810

Quote from: mjk73 on Feb 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
I figured they would hit a couple fests after it was announced the reunion for ATP. A full reunion tour NEEDS to happen.
OH MAN!!!!
.....Back at the Model Home

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
As much as I'd love a full and proper reunion, I really, really doubt it.  It was an absolute SHOCK that they're even playing together at all.  Dulli had always totally shit on the idea when asked about it even though he and John Curley were never on bad terms, and Curley even played on some Twilight Singers songs.  I always had the feeling that Dulli and McCollum might have had some issues (Dulli even compared McCollum's Moon Mann stuff to Wang Chung), which is a shame, because I always thought that McCollum's playing had almost as much to do with the Whig's sound as Dulli.

All of the shows that they have booked are Euro-fests with the exception of ATP in New Jersey, an Ameri-fest.  Even that Soungarden date is some kind of mini-fest as far as I can tell (I can't read Italian, but there's at least 4 bands playing).

That being said, I bet they book some more Ameri-fests.  Their last Euro-fest date is June 9 and they don't play Jersey until September 22.  Just seems strange to take a 3 month-plus break between playing shows.  Especially when the Twilight Singers just finished touring behind Dynamite Steps and we usually have to wait multiple years for new TS releases.

There's been at least a 2-week delay in announcing the ATP Jersey line-up if that means anything. Forecastle seems very logical.
We can hope and dream about it right?

bowl of soup

I have had this singular hope and dream since the late 90's.  The other side of my incoherent ramble is that 3 plus months is the perfect amount of time to tour the states (hitting St. Louis and Tampa along the way) with a triumphant finale in Jersey at the fest that they are curating.

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 15, 2012, 10:33 AM
I have had this singular hope and dream since the late 90's.  The other side of my incoherent ramble is that 3 plus months is the perfect amount of time to tour the states (hitting St. Louis and Tampa along the way) with a triumphant finale in Jersey at the fest that they are curating.

3 months is more then enough time. Hell they could hit several key spots twice. I'm not above bribery to make things happen.

ALady

I feel like they'll add a bunch more dates.  Money is very persuasive.   ;)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

bowl of soup

Well, no dates yet, but a full and proper tour is coming.  See www.theafghanwhigs.com for all of the good news.

Ruckus

I wasn't sure where to post this.  Never been a big Whigs/Dulli  guy but I was a Screaming Trees fan and listened to some Soulsavas and other Lanegan.  My buddy gave me a copy of the Gutter Twins album a few weeks ago and was kinda blown away.  Maybe I'm just a late bloomer.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

MrWhippy

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this.  Never been a big Whigs/Dulli  guy but I was a Screaming Trees fan and listened to some Soulsavas and other Lanegan.  My buddy gave me a copy of the Gutter Twins album a few weeks ago and was kinda blown away.  Maybe I'm just a late bloomer.

That Gutter Twins album was hands down one of my favorite records of the Aughts.  The combination of Dulli and Lanegan is amazing.  In my opinion "I was in Love with You" is one of the sexiest songs ever.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

mjk73

I do believe I will through on some Gutter Twins tonight.

bowl of soup

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 27, 2012, 04:39 PM

As a lover of both the Trees (and Lanegan) and anything Dulli - the Gutter Twins was some sort of landmark collaboration.  Funny thing, I didn't love it at first and found myself wishing that Dulli would've just sung all of the songs himself.  My opinion has changed greatly and I think Saturnalia is right up there with my beloved Blackberry Belle and Gentlemen.  Speaking of Blackberru Belle, it contains the greatest Dulli/Lanegan combo ever:

Sidus

Seems like Afghan Whigs will play in Amsterdam on June 12!  :D Not placed on their own website yet though

http://www.paradiso.nl/web/Agenda-Item/The-Afghan-Whigs.htm

bowl of soup

Its on the site now.  All Europe so far with the exception of Jersey in September.  The window is shrinking - they're in Israel in early June and in Germany in early August.  Am I really going to have to go to Jersey?

tdb810

anyone else coming to this show?

http://www.terminal5nyc.com/event/115957

October 5 at Terminal 5.  Got my tickets back in May!

Jeff Murray

Quote from: tdb810 on Sep 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
anyone else coming to this show?

http://www.terminal5nyc.com/event/115957

October 5 at Terminal 5.  Got my tickets back in May!

I'm hitting the Electric Factory show next Thursday... can't wait!  Then the following day taking a trip down to Dogfish Head Brewery for a tour and samples, ending the weekend with an Octoberfest at Stoudt's brewery in Adamstown PA... Gonna be a great weekend!!   :beer:
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

tdb810

Ok, so looks like we are not going to make it for the 10/5 show at T5.  If anyone is interested in the tickets, I would be happy to sell them for face ($45).  Thanks!

Jeff Murray

Once the sound issues were cleaned up the Afghan Whigs show was really fun.   The odd part of the show was the lack of an encore, not sure if it was the bad sound or lack of enthusiasm from the crowd.  We were all standing there wait for the band to come out and the stage hands started packing up equipment, very strange.  The set itself was great, a lot of the songs I wanted to hear.  I just wish they would have played the Union Transfer, much better acoustics in that building!!

Another strange thing the band did was that they never had a spotlight on the stage, it was completely back-lit the whole time.  I don't know if this is to keep people from taking photos and video or just the style of the show.  It was effective though, I never saw a moment to get a photo from the balcony in the back.  Although it did not stop people from trying to light up the stage with their phone flash from the back of the venue... When will people learn their flash is not bright enough to get a good photo, it's just an irritant to the band and those around them!
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??