Main Menu

New Music Rut

Started by jones, Dec 08, 2011, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

Any PB&J fans out there?  I was really only familiar with "Young Folks" and "Amsterdam", but in my desperate search for new music I came across them again.  Their latest album Gimme Some seems to be pretty solid after one listen.  Any opinions on what is their strongest album?

el_chode

I view them as boring hipster trash responsible for Foster the People
I'm surrounded by assholes

jones

I'm just trying to find something new (to me).  I already got bored with them.  Not much in the "Other Music" section here is doing it for me right now.  I guess that I'm in sort of a new music funk.  The search continues...

Northern Neighbour

PBJ have some decent music, but their albums overall aren't great. 

Are you looking for "funk" music or just new music in general?  If the latter, what kind of music?

jones

I'm looking for new music in general.  By being in a "funk", I meant that I'm in a rut as far as discoveries go.  It happens...

Northern Neighbour

Check out the Mixtape thread.  I think that thread has a lot of diversity - moreso than some of the other threads. 

The top-10 album compilation is a good one, too, although the album list is limited.  I could probably offer you some suggestions if you like.  Just let me know what kind of music you're interested in or are you quite flexible?

Jon T.

Quote from: jones on Dec 09, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm just trying to find something new (to me).  I already got bored with them.  Not much in the "Other Music" section here is doing it for me right now.  I guess that I'm in sort of a new music funk.  The search continues...

Music funks suck.  For some reason Wilco and M. Ward  are usually my goto when said funks occur.  I'm listening to M. Ward now...

Godspeed on your seach.   ;D

/random thought- that reads like "God has peed on your search".

jones

NN, I have been picking my way through those two very threads and nothing has really grabbed me yet.

Thanks, Jon! ;D

I guess that I should rename this thread now since I'm not really talking about PB&J anymore.

That new Dr. Dog album can't come soon enough.

Currently listening to: Generationals

buaawwww

I recommend checking out the albums by Howlin Rain.  These guys deserve more exposure.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: jones on Dec 09, 2011, 10:49 AM

So true.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Northern Neighbour

So you're more into psychedelic / southern rock or do you have other preferences?

jones

Yeah, mostly psychedelic, I guess.

I'm revisiting White Denim D right now.

Northern Neighbour

White Denim is great.

You might also wish to check out a Canadian band called Black Mountain, who have a retro, arena rock sound. 

The lead singer, Stephen McBean, also has a side band called The Pink Mountaintops.

Thee Oh Sees is also worth checking out.

Jacuzzi Boys is more of west coast, fuzz guitar, trippy band, but they're a lot of fun.

Mazes is another indie rock band that I would recommend.

If you like '60s / '70s style female rock bands like the Vaselines, then the Dum Dum Girls are worth listening to.  Veronica Falls is another female-led rock band that is quite good.

jones

I own the Black Mountain album.  Thanks for the other suggestions.  I'll check them out!

Tracy 2112

I was in a funk and Sweatboard and Penny swore by this and it cured my funk (and then some):

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

mjk73

I've been re-exploring the obnoxisly large collection of Britpop and Northern Soul again. And Bob Mould. Always Bob Mould.

buaawwww

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Dec 09, 2011, 11:33 AM

You might also wish to check out a Canadian band called Black Mountain, who have a retro, arena rock sound. 

The lead singer, Stephen McBean, also has a side band called The Pink Mountaintops.

Very cool bands...

Dingo

Quote from: el_chode on Dec 08, 2011, 10:45 PM
I view them as boring hipster trash responsible for Foster the People

You ever seen them live?  You might change your tune...  Great in concert

Dingo

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 09, 2011, 10:57 AM
Quote from: jones on Dec 09, 2011, 10:49 AM

So true.

I concur.  Got the 7" Control Yourself/Warrior Man the other day and have been spinning it non-stop.

el_chode

Waiting for Dr. Dog to drop as well.

What kind of psychedelic shit you looking for? Proggish/metal or garage-blues?

I'm surrounded by assholes