Albums that disappointed in 2011

Started by Penny Lane, Dec 18, 2011, 05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Maybe it's a symptom of the year or just a sad thing, but when "artists" like Drake make the top album lists of even the snobbiest or most respected rags, I can't help but wonder what the hell happened to good music.
I'm surrounded by assholes

dragonboy

I thought it was an excellent year for music but MMJ was the biggest disappointment. DBT too but they've been hit & miss since Jason left in my opinion.

To think that ten years ago these were my two favourite bands  :(
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Ruckus

Quote from: el_chode on Dec 20, 2011, 06:18 PM
My answer is: 2011. All of it.

Nothing really blew me away this year. Not to say the releases sucked, but I'm not gonna say it was a good year for music.
I feel like this for the most part.  Outside of 3 albums, I'd say this was one of the weakest years of new music for me in terms of albums that blew me away that I spun them over and over and over again.

Sounding like a broken record but yeah, MMJ, Deer Tick and Mastodon top this list for me.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ManNamedTruth

i forgot about this one:
Okkervil River
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ALady

Oh man, I thought that was a great record.

To each his own and all that.   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

dragonboy

Other than the excellent Birds, Build A Rocket Boys was nothing special...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MrWhippy

My biggest disappointments were:

Deer Tick
Mastodon
Drive-By Truckers
TV on the Radio
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

mjk73

Quote from: dragonboy on Dec 22, 2011, 04:21 AM
Other than the excellent Birds, Build A Rocket Boys was nothing special...
Lippy Kids was good, but yeah it was kind of flat overall. Shouldn't have expected Seldom Seen Kid part II.

mjk73

Glasvegas

It was decent but no where near as great as their debut.

Penny Lane

Quote from: dragonboy on Dec 21, 2011, 04:13 AM
I thought it was an excellent year for music but MMJ was the biggest disappointment. DBT too but they've been hit & miss since Jason left in my opinion.

To think that ten years ago these were my two favourite bands  :(

still the best live bands, Go Go Boots didn't disappoint me at all, just don't love it as much as their other stuff..

agree about Elbow..'build a rocket boys' saves that album...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Come Closer

Jahmazed

My biggest disappointment was the album(s) that didn't happen - No T5 box set!  :'(

Northern Neighbour

"Nine Types of Light" by TV on the Radio - While it was a good album, it wasn't as memorable as their previous effort, "Dear, Science".

"Circuital" by MMJ - Just expected more from quintet.

"Go Go Boots" by DBT - Their weakest album in years, maybe ever.

ChronicHunger

Biggest Disapointment: MASTODON. An album about nothing truly sounds like nothing. Ditching the Concept album idea was a bad decision, especially now that i hear Curl of the Burl on radio stations that play pure shit like nickleback, disturbed, five finger death punch, shinedown, Bro rock etc.
Mmj- Good but didn't rock the fuck out nearly enough.
Wilco- I get blown away by the first two songs every time, the rest of the albums boring.
Flaming lips- Not liking these collaborations at all, plus no physical copies. I need a full album.
Johnny Corndawg/Deertick/MiddleBrother- All were huge disappointments.(Besides Matt Vasquez's Songs in middle bro)

buaawwww

Quote from: ChronicHunger on Dec 26, 2011, 01:04 AM
Biggest Disapointment: MASTODON. An album about nothing truly sounds like nothing. Ditching the Concept album idea was a bad decision, especially now that i hear Curl of the Burl on radio stations that play pure shit like nickleback, disturbed, five finger death punch, shinedown, Bro rock etc.

Wow, couldn't disagree more with that one.  But to each their own right?

For me the biggest disappointments are:

Eddie Vedder "Ukelele Songs" - just bored the heck out of me.
Fleet Foxes "Helplessness Blues" - really liked the title track, but another one that just sort of put me to sleep.
Red Hot Chili Peppers "I'm With You" - nothing special.

I'll bet there are others I am forgetting.  And since I am forgetting them, just goes to show how much of an impact they made on me...  ;D

ChronicHunger

Yea, just my opinion. When i first heard mastodon i couldn't stand the heavier songs and the screaming vocals, now i love them. If i would've started listening to mastodon with the Hunter i probably would've loved it. Its by far their most Accessible album. But it sounds over produced and lacking in face melting guitar solos. Not nearly as "Noodley' and Psychedelic as there last three albums. Before it seemed like Mastodon had two lead guitar players shredding at all times. Now it seems like they've slowed down and went into a more traditional setup of one rhythm one lead. The album is very rhythmic and very riff Driven. Its not a necessarily a bad album it just doesn't hold a candle to leviathan, blood mountain, or crack the skye. At the very least you have to admit the album artwork isn't as cool as the last three albums right?