Favourite Movies Of 2011

Started by dragonboy, Dec 22, 2011, 04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Didn't get to the cinema half as watch as I wanted to this year so a list of movies i'd like to see might be more relevant (Senna, Tyranosaur, 50/50, Moneyball, Tinker Tailor, Take Shelter, Midnight In Paris etc etc)

Warrior
Drive
Thor
Black Swan
Win Win
The Kings Speech
Rango
Tree Of Life
The Fighter
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjk73

Deathly Hallows Pt 2
Bridesmaids
Kings Speech

Hoping to add Girl with The Dragon Tattoo as I want to try to catch it tomorrow night. And I hope it's good.

I didn't see a lot of new ones this year.

ManNamedTruth

Drive
Source Code
Hugo
I Saw the Devil
Bridesmaids
Cedar Rapids

I didn't like The Tree of Life, the story about the family was good but the beginning and ending were pretentious. I want to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in the next couple days as well, I'm a big fan of the original films too.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjk73

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Dec 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
I want to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in the next couple days as well, I'm a big fan of the original films too.
They were good. And the woman who played Lisbeth was  :o

capt. scotty

Quote from: dragonboy on Dec 22, 2011, 04:46 AM
Black Swan
The Kings Speech
The Fighter

Arent these all 2010?

Im really no sure how many from 2011 Ive even seen. I usually catch up from the previous year it seems. Really liked Super 8, but Ive yet to see any of the other you guys listed besides Cedar Rapids (which was real good, dont know about year's best though). Im pissed I missed on Drive in theaters but plan on checking it out ASAP. If its as good as it looks, itll probably be my favorite of the year.

And whats the consensus: Ive never seen any of the foreign The Girl.... movies, would it be a bad idea to see Fincher's first?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

dragonboy

Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 22, 2011, 03:30 PM
Black Swan
The Kings Speech
The Fighter

Arent these all 2010?

You have to remember that not everyone lives in the US Scott  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

No one else saw Warrior? Jaimoe? Granted, the story is rather unbelievable but it's an excellent movie with top performances from all three of it's leads, Tom Hardy in particular.

mjk73

Black Swan
The Kings Speech
The Fighter

Arent these all 2010?

Im really no sure how many from 2011 Ive even seen. I usually catch up from the previous year it seems. Really liked Super 8, but Ive yet to see any of the other you guys listed besides Cedar Rapids (which was real good, dont know about year's best though). Im pissed I missed on Drive in theaters but plan on checking it out ASAP. If its as good as it looks, itll probably be my favorite of the year.

And whats the consensus: Ive never seen any of the foreign The Girl.... movies, would it be a bad idea to see Fincher's first?
Damn, forgot Cedar Rapids. That was great.

I fully expect the hollywood versions to be different then the Swede versions. They were different from the books and in some parts radically different. Doesnt mean they were bad. Not sure how the new ones will be. I think you'll be fine.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

ManNamedTruth

Black Swan
The Kings Speech
The Fighter

Arent these all 2010?

I did like Bridesmaids a little more than Cedar Rapids. I didn't see a lot of movies this year either, so if i were to do a top ten eventually it might get bumped. Just wanted to throw it out there since I thought it was a solid movie.
As far as remakes go I usually like the original more, but since Fincher's movies are usually quality I don't foresee TGWTDT being bad. I'll let you know what I think once I see it.

Would like to see The Descendents, and 50/50 whenever netflix gets it.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: mjk73 on Dec 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
Black Swan
The Kings Speech
The Fighter

Arent these all 2010?

Damn, forgot Cedar Rapids. That was great.

I fully expect the hollywood versions to be different then the Swede versions. They were different from the books and in some parts radically different. Doesnt mean they were bad. Not sure how the new ones will be. I think you'll be fine.

Well it's not like some hollywood hack made this movie, the subject matter is right up David Fincher's alley. I heard he kept the explicit parts in too. Damn I'm looking forward to this, might go on x-mas eve if there's nothing else to do.

capt. scotty

Quote from: dragonboy on Dec 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
Black Swan
The Kings Speech
The Fighter

Arent these all 2010?

You have to remember that not everyone lives in the US Scott  ;)

True, my bad on that...All 3 of those movies were so critically acclaimed Im surprised they werent 2010 in the UK though as well.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Quote from: dragonboy on Dec 22, 2011, 03:40 PM
No one else saw Warrior? Jaimoe? Granted, the story is rather unbelievable but it's an excellent movie with top performances from all three of it's leads, Tom Hardy in particular.

I will see it; I'm not a fan of MMA, but I know the film is more about relationships, and Hardy is a major talent.

sweatboard

Black Swan
Tree of Life
Rise of Planet of the Apes
There's Still Time.........

Ru-day

-Drive 
-Take Shelter 
-The Skin I Live In 
-Shame
-Melanchiloia
-My Week with Marilyn

Shug

If you liked Bridesmaids you might want to check out The Change Up, its crude, raunchy and IMO, hilarious.  It does push the mainstream envelope for acceptable crudeness, though. 

Another one I just saw was Woody Allen's Midnight In Paris.  Not sure if there are too many Woody Allen fans on this forum and I haven't seen one of his films in a number of years, but I thought it was really good, more on the lighthearded side for Woody with just a minimum of the unpleasant arguing and annoying anxiety that can infect some of his films.  A good film for romantics who like classic literature and art.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

capt. scotty

Quote from: dragonboy on Dec 22, 2011, 03:40 PM

Watched this last night, fully agree DB. Everything I had heard about Warrior was positive, so I went in with high expectations yet was still blown away. And that, my friend, is a fuckin rarity. Usually for me, expectations either crush a movie or I see what people are saying, but Warrior still was still much better than I expected.

Tom Hardy is a BEAST. I thought he was an excellent actor after seeing Bronson, but throw on Inception and Warrior and Im totally sold on the guy. Considering he's playing Bane, he should be the next big actor in hollywood and I dont see how not. At this point, he has to be a huge celebrity in England, right?!

That said, Joel Edgerton was also excellent. Both him, Hardy, and Nolte should be nominated for best supporting actor. I will be shocked if none of them are.

I havent seen very many movies from 2011, but for the moment Warrior is #1 and I wouldnt be surprised if it stays on top

Ruckus

Quote from: Shug on Dec 30, 2011, 03:44 PM
If you liked Bridesmaids you might want to check out The Change Up, its crude, raunchy and IMO, hilarious.  It does push the mainstream envelope for acceptable crudeness, though. 

Saw this the other day.  Definitely got a good laugh out of it in parts.  Ryan Reynolds always cracks me up and Bateman actually came out of his typical character to be nice and vulgar.  Good stuff.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

I finally saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and it was awesome. Definitely a favorite of 2011.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

sugarglidernames

The Darknight is the best..  :D :)