Main Menu

Band of Skulls

Started by MrWhippy, Dec 28, 2011, 07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

One album I'm really looking forward to in 2012 is the new Band of Skulls record, due in Feb.  Any other fans of these guys here? 

They are a British trio, male guitarist/singer and female bassist/singer.  They put out their first record, Baby Darling Dollface Honey, in 2009.  They have a heavy, blues-inspired sound, and are something you might like if you like things like Dead Weather, Black Keys, or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. 

They are doing a US tour in March and April, which looks to be ending with a set at Coachella.

Band of Skulls - "Death By Diamonds and Pearls"

Band of Skulls Impossible Live PBS@SXSW
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

mjk73

Their debut was excellent. They opened for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and kicked ass.

Ghosts_on_TV

Saw them at bonnaroo and they were great. Played some new tunes I'm assuming are on the new one.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

MrWhippy

Cool, I was at that Bonnaroo set too and loved it, one of my favorite sets of the festival this year.

I also really dug the new songs think the new album could be great if those are on it.  I was really amazed at what a big crowd they drew for that Bonnaroo set.

tbear

Yeah - - Saw them at Roo, and was impressed enough to get tix in NYC coming up in March. Pretty powerful band.

dragonboy

Thanks for hooking me up Mike, love them! They remind me of The Black Keys/White Stripes/Dead Confederate, can't wait to see them live next week.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjk73

Welcome brotha. Hope you enjoy them live as much as I did.

rmpotsy

new album is out and i am really diggin it.  not as heavy as the last, but real solid on the first few listens.  need to give it a few more spins though.  their debut was one of the biggest surprises i have ever had and is still in heavy rotation.  maybe my favorite album of the last 3-4 years.

jk (of the forecastle) was very impressed with their set at bonnaroo (after much prodding from a friend of mine) and i have been told that they are a priority.  they are however playing in spain the thursday before   >:(.

my wife and i are really going to try and make their set in nashville on 3/20, damn baby is getting in the way though.
out go the lights it begins

Ob1jacobe

I have been on the search for some new music.  this is the first thing that has gotten my attention this year.  Really digging it so far.

rmpotsy

if you like this, check out baby darlin doll face honey, their debut... its awesome.

MrWhippy

I'm really enjoying the new record as well.  I probably like it even better than the first one.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: rmpotsy on Feb 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
if you like this, check out baby darlin doll face honey, their debut... its awesome.

Just got that a couple months ago and love, love, love it.  That girl's got some pipes!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tbear

I saw BOS at Roo and really liked them. So, I bought the album and really like it. Then I saw them last week at Webster Hall - - - meh.

I dont know why. It just seemed like I had heard it all before. Unoriginal.

Maybe it was the fact that I was standing in the same place the week before watching Yimmy and Jay do music that was, to me, transendental.

The rest of the crowd and my friends (for the most part) were very into it.

That is all.

MrWhippy

I caught the DC show last night (and ran into Sassbox there) and loved it. 

I think they are a powerful as hell live band, and they really add some cool elements to their music when they play live.  Russell is a pretty amazing guitar player, and has become way more polished since first seeing them a couple years ago.

Clarkwork

Just want to say I love this band right now. Great album
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

capt. scotty

Like the new one but dont love it. Really like the first 4 songs but it sort of fizzles for me after that. Navigate is great though. Cant stand You Arent Pretty But You Got It Going On
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

rmpotsy

going to see the skulls tonight.  its been a long time coming and i cant wait.

e_wind

Quote from: rmpotsy on Oct 17, 2012, 08:54 AM
going to see the skulls tonight.  its been a long time coming and i cant wait.
i  can't make it tonight cause i have to work. some how my boss is going though. dammit.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

MrWhippy

New album out on March 31, and a full US tour announced today starting in Philly in late April ending in Kansas on June 11. 

I'll definitely be at the April 28 date at the 9:30 Club in DC. 

oistheone

I'm in for a show on this new batch of dates for sure.

I've got a weird relationship with this band. I don't ever find myself listening to their studio stuff, but I never seem to pass up the chance to see 'em live. They always put on a rockin' show, and Russell has some of the nastiest guitar tones I've ever heard -- in the best way possible.