Main Menu

Van Halen

Started by Taterbug, Jan 06, 2012, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: bold992006 on Jan 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Van Hagar was beyond bad.   he turned a great rock band into a power ballad band.  I can and will never consider anyone but DLR real VH.  I can't wait to see this tour.  they were one of my favorite bands growing up until about 1986.
This is incorrect.  From the greatest live concert film of all time, "Live Without a Net"
This how to rock 101.  Note the unrequited high five at 1:30, unrelenting ass kicking at 2:40 and the post ass kicking solo group jig at 5:00.  Take notes
5150 van halen
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

Left-hanging high fives. A brassiere necktie. PASTEL PARACHUTE PANTS. Shame, Edward.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Taterbug

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
Left-hanging high fives. A brassiere necktie. PASTEL PARACHUTE PANTS. Shame, Edward.

C'mon man,  8th grade I had a pair of black parachute pants that I would tuck into my Nike legends high tops.  I thought I was the shit, anything was better than the plaid overall bellbottoms my mom made us wear.  Thank god for Zubaz, they kind of killed the parachute pant craze  ;D
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Fully

Quote from: Taterbug on Jan 12, 2012, 11:51 AM

C'mon man,  8th grade I had a pair of black parachute pants that I would tuck into my Nike legends high tops.  I thought I was the shit, anything was better than the plaid overall bellbottoms my mom made us wear.  Thank god for Zubaz, they kind of killed the parachute pant craze  ;D
Zubaz - omg! The horror.

mjk73

Quote from: Fully on Jan 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
Quote from: Taterbug on Jan 12, 2012, 11:51 AM

Zubaz - omg! The horror.
Please lets not talk about parachute pants tucked into high tops (neatly untied I might add). That just drags up horrible 80's fashion nightmares. Christ what the hell were we thinking in grade school and jr high.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
Van Hagar was beyond bad.   he turned a great rock band into a power ballad band.  I can and will never consider anyone but DLR real VH.  I can't wait to see this tour.  they were one of my favorite bands growing up until about 1986.
This is incorrect.  From the greatest live concert film of all time, "Live Without a Net"
This how to rock 101.  Note the unrequited high five at 1:30, unrelenting ass kicking at 2:40 and the post ass kicking solo group jig at 5:00.  Take notes
5150 van halen

I can get behind seom of this; some of this works for me
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Parts of 5150 and OU812 were pretty good. I like "5150" and "Mine All Mine" from those albums. However, I'm not sure why Sammy turned into a pussy when he signed up - and gradually pussified the band in the process. I mean, "Heavy Metal" from the soundtrack of the 1981 animated film rocks and his work in Montrose was solid. Some of his pre-Halen solo work is notable too.

I played the shit out of that 1st Montrose album

Montrose - Bad Motor Scooter

Crispy

Kinda weird how I feel about Van Halen vs Van Hagar; I sure listened to a lot more Sammy Hagar than I did DLR's solo garbage. Van Hagar was the most completely pussiest of pussy rock. But I thought Sammy's Heavy Metal kicked ass, though Don Felder's was better:

Don Felder - Takin' A Ride (Heavy Metal Theme)
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Taterbug

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Parts of 5150 and OU812 were pretty good. I like "5150" and "Mine All Mine" from those albums. However, I'm not sure why Sammy turned into a pussy when he signed up - and gradually pussified the band in the process. I mean, "Heavy Metal" from the soundtrack of the 1981 animated film rocks and his work in Montrose was solid. Some of his pre-Halen solo work is notable too.

I played the shit out of that 1st Montrose album

Montrose - Bad Motor Scooter

I did also.  I like the old Montrose and Sammy solo stuff, and to be honest I was excited when Sammy joined VH.  I liked 5150 and then it went down hill from there for me.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Jaimoe

Yeah, the best tunes on the Heavy Metal soundtrack were from Felder and Hagar, with all due respect to Devo and Black Sabbath. It's interesting that Heavy Metal is a Canadian animated movie and some of the actors doing the voices were then early cast members of SCTV: John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy and Harold Ramis. 

CTdeadhead

5150 van halen

I was at that show as it was filmed in New Haven, or New Halen as it were in the video.  One of the great memories of my life was the two night stand over which that video was filmed.  They never quite were what they were with DLR but Sammy had his moments. 

Crispy

Quote from: CTdeadhead on Jan 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
5150 van halen

I was at that show as it was filmed in New Haven, or New Halen as it were in the video.  One of the great memories of my life was the two night stand over which that video was filmed.  They never quite were what they were with DLR but Sammy had his moments.
Yeah, but were you wearing PASTEL PARACHUTE PANTS?

Tracy 2112

Hours of fun here with the DLR soundboard!

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/sounds/dlr/dlr-soundboard-2.htm

I like to go with the multi-click spectrum   ;)

Fully

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
Hours of fun here with the DLR soundboard!

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/sounds/dlr/dlr-soundboard-2.htm

I like to go with the multi-click spectrum   ;)

Thank you. I have the isolated DLR Running With the Debil on the ipod and when it's on shuffle and it pops up...well, there are no words that adequately suffice. It's just beautiful, man.

Crispy

GODDAMMITBABYYOUKNOWIANTLYINTOYAIMONLYGONNATELLYAONETIMEAAAHHHHYEEAH

Oh jesus, multiclicking the "GODDAMN" button

Fucking brilliant

Ruckus

Quote from: CTdeadhead on Jan 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
5150 van halen

This is funny!  As the youngest contributor to this thread by far, I posted the Live Without a Net vid in jest only to get half hearted support for it.  I couldn't listen to 5150 for the life of me now from start to finish but consider me the 7th grader that discovered MMJ via Evil Urges for the 1st time and saw MMJ at the same time.  Why yes, VH I will always be my favorite now but when I was 13, I listened to more Van Hagar then Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer.

If any of you get a hold of my debit card (the balance teeters in the 100-599 range), the password is 5150.  Seriously
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

Now I'll have to change my pin to Women and Children First just to keep up with you ;)

Tracy 2112