The Comedy Thread

Started by e_wind, Jan 15, 2012, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Couldn't find one, maybe it didn't transfer from the old board...

I've been recently discovering the art of comedians. So, who has some favorites to share with everyone? I'll start.

1. Bill Burr. The fucking man. I love Bill Burr, he's hilarious. He's raunchy and self-loathing like so many other comedians, so if that's you're thing, he has a special on Netflix, and you can download his Monday Morning Podcast for free from iTunes or from his website. It's weekly and its hilarious. It's basically just him talking about the NFL and giving advice to people who write in, which is funny because he shouldn't give anyone advice. I look forward to it every week like its the new episode of Lost. He's expresses his views extremely radically, but I tend to agree with him on most.  He also supports The Wounded Warriors project with a certain % of all his earnings, which is cool of him. Billburr.com

Bill Burr- Racist on the Internet

2. Louie CK. This one is just obvious. Must be something about self-loathing redheads between him and Bill Burr.

3. Jim Norton. I'm reading his book right now call Happy Endings. Its hilarious. Another self-loathing sack of shit. I wouldn't recommend him for easily offended.

Others I like are Patrice O'Neal, Greg Giraldo (both RIP), Doug Stanhope, and Dave Attell. I was lucky enough to see Dave Attell for free at the tiny Comedy Cellar when I was in NYC for the MSG show. He was hilarious.

Doug Stanhope - Good Drugs / The DMT Story
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

wolof7

Nice thread e_wind,

I have really thrown myself into the comedy world with the advent of the "podcast" all of which are free. These have really saved my rides to and from work when music just isn't doing it.

My favs currently are:

1) WTF with Marc Maron - he generally interviews comedians giving a very cerebral and pathological look into the comedy world. Considering Maron is a pretty neurotic, self-depricating guy (much in the vein of Larry David) things can get both awkward and hilarious.
It is typically in the top 3 podcasts on itunes and I'm going to be at his live WTF in Boston next week!

2) The Nerdist - former host of Singled Out on MTV Chris Hardwick is now a comedian, and he is really really funny. His website www.nerdist.com is the source of a lot of geek type stuff but also the network to many comedy podcasts including his own which is in the style of Maron's.

3) You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes - Pete Holmes is a hilarious comedian and I urge everyone to check out his album 'Impregnated with Wonder' which I've listened to countless times on Spotify. His podcasts interviews comedians aiming to make the conversation weird by talking about Comedy, Sex and God. On the Nerdist network

4) The Pod F. Tompkast - Hosted by Paul F. Thompkins who amazingly just rambles free associatively for like 10 minutes before going into his standard monthly bits. This is generally regarded as the funniest podcast and it this is certainly true most episodes.

5) Doug Loves Movies - Super High Me creator Doug Benson hosts this panel podcast which generally features comedians playing movie trivia. The game can get grating at times but Benson and guests are almost always funny.

6) Mike and Tom Eat Snacks - Each week Michael Ian Black (Stella, the State, Ed) and Tom Cavanaugh (Ed) judge a snack. However, this is the smallest part of the show as both riff improvisationally off each other, leading into crazy tangents which can be either bizarre or hilarious. Also on the Nerdist Network

7) Analyze Phish - Harris Whittls, writer for Parks and REc tries to convince Scott Aukerman (comedian) what's so great about phish. It is genuinely funny to hear Harris try and make Scott understand something he loves so much when Scott really just doesn't get it.

I have always been a huge Patton Oswalt fan, I would consider him to be my favorite comedian. I believe his comedy albums are always consistently hilarious mixing observational humor with geek topics including sci-fi, literature and movies. His newest Finest Hour is really great.

Kyle Kinane's Death of the Party album is definitely my favorite comedy album to come out in some time. He is just a hilarious guy whose main method is self-deprication...everyone should check this one out.

And what can be said about Louie C.K. that hasn't been said already...guy is a dynamo

(btw e_wind, I Love Bill Burr too).
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

e_wind

I like Patton Oswalt a lot too. I'm gonna check out some of those podcasts. I work in a restaurant and deliver food sometimes, and nothing makes long car rides go by like some good comedy.

wolof7

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Eweezy

My all time favorite and feel lucky enough to see him perform live twice and may he rest in peace.

Mitch Hedberg

Mitch Hedberg Compilation Part 1
Yikes!

johnnYYac

My wife and I have shared a number of great live comedy shows, especially living in NC before we had kids.  There was a comedy club in Raleigh, where we caught a number of greats - Mitch Hedberg, Jake Johanssen, Lewis Black, and Brian Regan. 

Since moving back to NH, we've caught some folks in Concord - Lewis Black, Paula Poundstone, Brian Regan, and David Sedaris.  Also, in a big comedy show in Mansfield, MA - Louis CK, Bob Saget, Jim Norton, and Patrice O'Neal. 

A local favorite comes through often and we've seen him in Manchester - Bob Marley (also a cast member of The Boondock Saints films). 

A real surprise is another local made good - Juston McKinney - who is coming to our little town of Hillsboro in two weeks to do a benefit show for a local family. 

And next month, Michele and I will catch Jim Gaffigan for the first time, in Boston.

Oh, and I once urinated next to Graham Chapman!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Jaimoe

Over the past two years I've become a big fan of the Sklar Brothers. I caught their act in San Fran last year and I'll probably check them out when they come to Toronto in February. When they guest host on Jim Rome's show, it's some of the funniest radio you'll ever hear.

jaye

I really loved Mitch Hedberg - saw him a lot when he was just starting out.   I've seen a lot of comics and he was definitely unique.    Unfortunately, the more famous he got, the more nervous he seemed and it was sometimes hard for me to watch him.  Poor guy  :(

Elizanne33

I have a of couple comedy stations on my Pandora list. I also work at a library and check out different comedy albums from time to time to listen to on my commute. Our library doesn't have the best collection, they have a lot of older albums which includes George Carlin who I love! I also really like Bill Hicks although I don't personally own any of his albums. I need to find some new comedians to check out so I applaud this thread!

e_wind

Bill Burr said something in an old podcast like this: "I only liked rock and roll that was about hating god, but My Morning Jacket is pretty damn good"

he's joking about the hating god thing, he just always talks about ACDC and Metallica and bands that have a "dark undertone" i guess you would call it

johnnYYac

What a crazy night.

I met my wife in Chapel Hill.  As we dated, and into the first years of our marriage, we frequented the comedy clubs in Raleigh.  Jake Johanssen, Mitch Hedberg, Lewis Black, Emo Phillips, Brian Regan, Penn and Teller, Paula Poundstone.  Here in New England, we were able to catch David Sedaris, Bob Marley, Louis CK, and many other greats.

So hearing Juston McKinney was doing a charity gig in my current home, Hillsboro NH, was perfect.  $30 for dinner and a night of comedy.  Juston McKinney - local boy made good.  Letterman, Leno, Comedy Central.  No schlub he.

What an embarassement!  The crowd was so rude.  They humiliated a talented magician/comedian.  The guy was really good but these biker hicktards (sorry, I'm pissed) were assholes and ruined his act.  He was amazing but they were too stupid to realize the tricks he was doing.  He had his hands tied up by two fuckwads from the audience, they kept draping a scarf over his tied up hands, then he would gesture with an outstretched hand, put the hand back under the scarf, and it would be revealed that he was still securely tied.  It was great!

These unibreed dimfucks had no clue!  The second dude, just a pure stand up comedian, got almost zero response from the audience, who seemed to act as if he wasn't even there.  The only exception was the drunk idgit at my table who couldn't keep her mouth shut... the classic heckler.

Then Juson McKinney came on... and slayed!  He is a pro.  He is also a NH native.  He was on fire and had the audience in the palm of his hands.  A great set.  Afterward, as he was talking to the other two guys, I came over and thanked them for a great show.  And I apologized for the shitty crowd.

Home by 9:30.  Another crazy night in New Hampshire.  Nighty night...  Enjoy some Juston McKinney.

Juston McKinney - Live Freeze Then Die! Winter in New England

Taterbug

I'm a Tosh fan,  love Tosh.O except the last episode when he showed the video of the dude getting the Boil popped on his back.  Sickest thing ever !!!

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

sugarglidernames

Jim Carrey is the best comedian ..  :) :D

sugar glider names

johnnYYac

First, went with the wife to see Jim Gaffigan in Boston recently.  Excellent stuff, and he's decided to release the new material just as Louis CK did - $5 video download.  Highly recommend.

Go to http://www.jimgaffigan.com/ and sign up for email alert for when this drops in April.

Also, local guy slays in his first ever podcast... Comedian Bob Marley from Maine.  You may also know him from the Boondock Saints films.

Right click below, then Save Target As:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/bobmarleyswickedpodcast/bob_marleys_wicked_podcast.m4a

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Fully

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 04, 2012, 05:46 PM
my favorite of all time..AMY SEDARIS

Jerry Blank: "I was diabetic for a while"

Have you read her party planning book? I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence? I laughed til I peed my pants it was so funny. If you haven't read it, you really should. I may still have my copy. If so, I'll bring it next time I see you.

e_wind

The new Anti-Social Network tour doesn't have dates, but it's Artie Lang, Dave Attell, Nick Diapalo, and Jim Norton. That's damn good. I didn't realize it at the time, but seeing Dave Attell in a venue with less than 50 people for free last
December was actually incredibly lucky.

johnnYYac

Michele and I saw Jim Gaffigan's show in Boston just a few weeks before he taped this special, "Mr. Universe".  He's selling it like Louis CK did, $5 for a high-def mp4 download that makes a sweet DVD, over 70 minutes of funny, funny shit... if you like Jim Gaffigan.  I say its well worth it, and $1 (20%) goes to some charity to support veterans and their families, so its all good. 

I haven't watched this yet I still recommend it:

http://www.jimgaffigan.com/

And for those who missed it, here's Louis CK's show:

https://buy.louisck.net/