Main Menu

Megaupload

Started by Fully, Jan 19, 2012, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I'm on both sides of this one.  I've had my wrist slapped for downloading copyrighted material, and I still do it (Walking Dead comics, anyone?).  I also used Megaupload for a ton of music, video, and work-related files.  I'm pretty sure 98% of my uploads were "legal".

I like Jim's message in a number of interviews, where he says he expects all MMJ fans to buy their music if they can afford it but wouldn't care if someone who can't afford health insurance were to "steal" it. 

I've often wondered what kind of numbers are seen when musicians put music up for sale at a price to be decided by the consumer.  Do they see a ton of folks pay 1 cent or do most pay a reasonable amount for the music?  I also love the business model of Louis CK recently releasing a DVD as a $5 download on his own website.  He pocketed $250,000 after covering expenses, donated another quarter mil, and gave his staff bonuses.  No HBO or Comedy Central, no record company, just him and his people.

Maybe that's the fear.  Big corporations have their hands in media companies that are losing money to those who share/steal and fear artists also cutting out the middleman to distribute their art.  Since corporations are people, they can put $$$ into politicians' pockets legally and influence enforcement actions. 

Time to create laws that regulate the reality of modern, web-based technology and how we market digital media, not censorship or federal shutdown of some website.  OK, back to work.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

When you speak of creating laws that deal in reality, that is, leaving out useless middlemen, you're talking about KILLING OUR JORBS, you communist!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

johnnYYac

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 31, 2012, 09:45 AM
When you speak of creating laws that deal in reality, that is, leaving out useless middlemen, you're talking about KILLING OUR JORBS, you communist!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Another thing that really bothers me is how safe is it to store any files/data on the cloud.  Small businesses, personal photos, personal files, all of these things are in that data that may be lost by the end of the week. I'd be so pissed. I think of the photos I have stored on flickr, the email and documents I have backed up with google, This reminds me not to take cloud storage for granted.

Also, nice picture, JohnnyYac!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 31, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm on both sides of this one.  I've had my wrist slapped for downloading copyrighted material, and I still do it (Walking Dead comics, anyone?).  I also used Megaupload for a ton of music, video, and work-related files.  I'm pretty sure 98% of my uploads were "legal".

I like Jim's message in a number of interviews, where he says he expects all MMJ fans to buy their music if they can afford it but wouldn't care if someone who can't afford health insurance were to "steal" it. 

I've often wondered what kind of numbers are seen when musicians put music up for sale at a price to be decided by the consumer.  Do they see a ton of folks pay 1 cent or do most pay a reasonable amount for the music?  I also love the business model of Louis CK recently releasing a DVD as a $5 download on his own website.  He pocketed $250,000 after covering expenses, donated another quarter mil, and gave his staff bonuses.  No HBO or Comedy Central, no record company, just him and his people.

Maybe that's the fear.  Big corporations have their hands in media companies that are losing money to those who share/steal and fear artists also cutting out the middleman to distribute their art.  Since corporations are people, they can put $$$ into politicians' pockets legally and influence enforcement actions. 

Time to create laws that regulate the reality of modern, web-based technology and how we market digital media, not censorship or federal shutdown of some website.  OK, back to work.

to the part about what would happen if bands set their own price.  it's a who knows kinda thing still.  Radiohead sold less records than they usually do but made more money when they gave In Rainbows away.  they said they made more from In Rainbows than all their other albums combined.  My Morning Jacket could do it but the question is their fan base active enough to hear about it and come to this site to download it.  I think it would spread a lot slower than a radiohead release obviously but it'd still be more profitable than dealing with a middle man or promoter I think.  who knows, there aren't many bands who have the balls to try it.  NIN and trent did some free release shit too right?  it works fine for a big band, small bands miss out on the mass exposure.  motivation of the artist matters to, whether or not they're looking for longevity or being a famous one hit wonder, etc.  who knows. 

Fully

This was on boing boing today: