Main Menu

Bonnaroo 2012

Started by e_wind, Jan 27, 2012, 07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

I wanted 2 Phish shows!  Love Phish :)

I could do with 0 RHCP sets.  Or a negative number of RHCP sets, if that's possible.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ralph

Quote from: ALady on Feb 09, 2012, 07:00 PM
I wanted 2 Phish shows!  Love Phish :)

I could do with 0 RHCP sets.  Or a negative number of RHCP sets, if that's possible.

Haha! You need to somehow "enternal sunshine of the spotless mind" RHCP out of your memory so you can blissfully carry on your life without having to listen to another song with California in the title...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Luna Moth

Booo on RHCP hate. Its everywhere. Ive never seen them but have a good feeling they will sound waaay better on this years tour than in the other post californication stuff. Suck My Kiss is top 15 rowdy songs of all time. Gimme blood sugar>suck my kiss and all of my clothes are coming off, tempororaliy, i hope.

ALady

I have seen them.  It was one of the worst sets I have ever seen any band play. 

I loved everything up to BSSM but they hardly played anything off those older records.

Luna Moth

dang ive heard that, what a bummer, in my mind it still looks like this:
thrashin' 1986 | Red Hot Chili Peppers

ALady

I know, right?  That's what I was hoping too.   :(

Didn't mean to be harsh earlier.  Who knows, I haven't seen them since like 2006 so maybe things are different now?  I do think we'll be seeing them on a lot of festival lineups this year so hopefully we'll all get a chance to see them and reevaluate.

MrWhippy

The positive thing, though, about Radiohead and RHCP being in the same place is the possibility of an Atoms for Peace set.  I hope Bonnaroo makes that happen.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Jon T.

Quote from: ALady on Feb 10, 2012, 12:40 AM
I have seen them.  It was one of the worst sets I have ever seen any band play. 

I loved everything up to BSSM but they hardly played anything off those older records.

Up to or up through BSSM?  I was thinking about this the other day. They were just added to Hangout Fest.  This festival as a whole doesn't excite me too much, but there are some great "smaller" acts that I'd love to see.  I live close enough to drive over for the day if a good day lines up and there are day passes for sale.  Anwyay, back to my point, I used to love LOVE RHCP.  MM and BSSM are two classics of mine.  But I was thinking even if they were playing the same day I'm at Hangout, I honestly don't think I'd stick around for it.  I can hardly stand to hear Kiedis' voice anymore.   :-\

el_chode

My opinion of RHCP is low right now, but not over all. Californication or whatever that album was called, was so over-exposed on 92.3 krock that it became predictable as to when it would be played (after the furious 5 at 9, which was usually 2 songs of that album, 2 other songs would immediately follow the countdown).

Overall the album wasn't anything great. It wasn't awful.

Then that album after it I loved. But I'm not sure if it was for nostalgia and it fit the summer well or not. I don't listen to it often at all anymore.

Beyond that, they've made 300 bland arena rock songs about California. They're not awful. But they're nothing worth getting excited over. They've found their groove that puts them in a place of selling out stadiums without sounding like Nickelback or losing all their soul like Queens of Leon.

It makes for great fairweather fans but exiles more die-hard concert goers. If they headlined Forecastle, I wouldn't consider myself ripped off like I would if someone like Coldplay or Adele or other pop-for-the-masses band did. But I wouldn't rush to the rail either.
I'm surrounded by assholes

ALady

Jon T., up through BSSM, definitely. That was my jr. high soundtrack!   :thumbsup:

e_wind

BSSM is great. By The Way (the album after Californiacation, chode) is my favorite. YEAH I SAID IT. By the Way is a great record. I never stopped listening to it the summer it was released. Luna, I agree with what you said. I'd love to see them for the first time. Plus, Suck My Kiss is a great song.

boo on the chili pepper hate. There was even some good songs on that double LP. I haven't heard the new one yet. I'd rather see RHCP than Radiohead. SO WHAT
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ALady

Don't mind us e wind, we're just old and cranky  ;)

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Feb 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
BSSM is great. By The Way (the album after Californiacation, chode) is my favorite. YEAH I SAID IT. By the Way is a great record. I never stopped listening to it the summer it was released. Luna, I agree with what you said. I'd love to see them for the first time. Plus, Suck My Kiss is a great song.

boo on the chili pepper hate. There was even some good songs on that double LP. I haven't heard the new one yet. I'd rather see RHCP than Radiohead. SO WHAT

Own that opinion!! ;D ;D ;D Also, it's just fine to like whatever you like. Just like it's plenty fine to not like whatever you don't like (Drake, for example ;) )

ALady - I've met you, you are in no way old.

ALady

Aw, bless your heart, Fully.  I've got a beauty regimen that keeps me young...

:bath:

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 10, 2012, 09:42 AM
My opinion of RHCP is low right now, but not over all. Californication or whatever that album was called, was so over-exposed on 92.3 krock that it became predictable as to when it would be played (after the furious 5 at 9, which was usually 2 songs of that album, 2 other songs would immediately follow the countdown).

Overall the album wasn't anything great. It wasn't awful.

Then that album after it I loved. But I'm not sure if it was for nostalgia and it fit the summer well or not. I don't listen to it often at all anymore.

Beyond that, they've made 300 bland arena rock songs about California. They're not awful. But they're nothing worth getting excited over. They've found their groove that puts them in a place of selling out stadiums without sounding like Nickelback or losing all their soul like Queens of Leon.

It makes for great fairweather fans but exiles more die-hard concert goers. If they headlined Forecastle, I wouldn't consider myself ripped off like I would if someone like Coldplay or Adele or other pop-for-the-masses band did. But I wouldn't rush to the rail either.

see I'm not impressed with the new chili peppers at all.  haven't been impressed with them since Californication.  after that it was straight up down hill.  and like you're saying even Californication was sorta meh.   I can not stand any of their new shit, thought By The Way was horrible.  and they just get worse and worse.  now john's out of the band again so I barely see the point in seeing them.  when they played that tour with Stone Temple Pilots a decade ago they kicked as but now, fuck them.  keidis is a horrible excuse for a frontman anymore, he burnt out or something.  he just doesn't have it anymore.  thought One Hot Minute was one of their best records because it was something out of their normal zone but the best of what they do is still in there.  what happened to them is almost as bad as what happened to weezer after their first two albums.

mahg33ta

I hear the lineup announcement is tomorrow....

Fully

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
I hear the lineup announcement is tomorrow....

I'm excited to see who it's going to be!  :D

Fully

I just saw something on twitter. Apparently spotify is going to be releasing the lineup for bonnaroo tomorrow. It looks like it will be either on their twitter feed or on their website. Perhaps there will be a playlist. Anywho, just thought I'd pass it along.

ALady

Looks like this site is confirming some names...

http://www.knoxville.com/photos/

NoVa_NoLa

Hey y'all...I got this note from another list...:

As pulled from Spotify's FB page.

"Guess who is the official announcement partner for this year's Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival <http://www.facebook.com/bonnaroo>line-up? Yes, we are!

Our friends at Bonnaroo have chosen us to reveal the highly-anticipated 2012 line-up. So watch this space tomorrow as we unveil the artists exclusively on Spotify!"